Worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakEyez151

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so i'm in the market for getting a monster truck... Its a toss up between LST and Revo, but since I'm waiting...

A Buddy of a buddy is selling his T-Maxx. From wht I saw, it has aftermarket skid plates, RPM arms, bulkheads. I dont remember if the diffs were aftermarket or stock. It had a .12 OS CV-RX, which barely has 3 tanks through it (Still needs a complete break in)... I dont recall what else, but the guy had a list of items. I was reviewin the list, but had to rush inside (looked @ it before work this morning)

Guy wants $300 firm... the stock motor comes with also, and stock electronics. Are the stock electronics anygood? I'll be getting a new RX to use w/ my Airtronics controller - will the servos connect to the RX (or if the stock steering servo is worth running with, or should be an immediate upgrade for better turning power?). I think they will, but if anybody knwos for sure they wont, than that'd be helpful so I know I'll have to buy servos too.

Dang, Too bad I can't remember the rest of the hop ups, would be a lot more accurate on what its worth if I knew. LoL. I believe he said it had an upgraded set of shocks also. Has all titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles. The truck is in -very- good condition, and well taken care of. What do you guys think?

I have thought of gettin the truck just for somethin fun to play with, throwin the stock motor back in, and hangin onto that os CV-R, for my XXX-NT :) I know that *well* over $300 has been put into the truck, but considering i could get a new Revo for a bit more, or the LST for ... double <heh> ... Its kinda a cheap-ER way of feelin into MTs, to decide how much I'll like it i guess, before i end up spendin big $$ on a new MT.

~ Mike

Before you make up your mind, check out a thread I started:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22910

I've had both the maxx and savage (as you will see in the thread) and so have a few others. Some swear by their maxx, others swear by their savage.

IMO, it depends on what your getting the truck for. If it's for racing, wait for the revo. If it's for bashing and you like power, get a savage.

That maxx sounds like a pretty good deal as long as you can vouch for your friend. A new maxx is around $400 still. It sounds like he has another $100 or so into it, unless the bulks are aluminum, then it's another $150-$200 depending on what bulks they are. If the stock engine still has life in it, then you have a os as well for your other truck. That's another $120-$130 (depending on which crank it has) added on.

Is it a good deal, probably. But do you want a maxx... that's the real question. Read the thread I posted and the hundreds on this site about the maxx and whatever else your interested in, then make a descision.

I've read your thread, and kept that in mind while reviewing the T-Maxx this morning. Also kept in mind things that others have said. It does have many aluminum parts, but the bulkheads are the plastic/composite/whatever material, RPM parts. Along w/ Arms (also has another set of arms, but not sure if those are RPM or stock). He has extra wheels for it, bodies, and otherstuff. I do plan on talking to the guy. It'd be for .. eh, Mild bashing? I sure wont be launching it up 20-30 feet in the air :)

Like i said, somethin to get my feet a bit wet w/ MTs. Also this could determine whether I want a full basher, or a racer MT (LST vs Revo). Either way it seems, if anything, a fair price.. Rather than spending $400 (Tmaxx/savage), $500 or $600, I could get a pretty decent truck which has already had a bunch of upgraded parts done to it. As far as buyin something used, i'd have to see it and have it in my hands before I'd want to spend any $$ - So this seems like an ideal situation. Not to mention, gives time for those two to get all the bugs worked out, and hopefully a kit version to be released. (I really enjoyed building my XXX-NT, and it gave me a good understanding of the truck. Buying something prebuilt, takes away that fun. i'd be more anxious to run it, than tear down/rebuild)

~ Mike

Come on olds97_lss, you have been discourage people to get t-maxx lately. :smoke:

T-maxx is a good truck eventually not for extreme bashing like you did most of the time.

and Mike, you got a pretty good deal for the maxx you are talking about. If you plan to upgrading, I don't see why you shouldn't get it. :shrug:

At the end, you gonna change all the parts soon anyway just like what I did. I bought a used truck, and keep on upgrading and I enjoy doing it.

You buy that maxx and I guarantee that it will cost you more money, you will not be happy with it regardless if it was great or not, you will buy a more current truck like the revo or lst. Then you will want to upgrade that, and the maxx will be a hard sell after you get it from your friend...unless you have a friend... :2cents:

hehe, I'll buy a Revo or LST regardless :) I'm just waiting to find the right deal, give it time to work out the defective parts, and till i'm ready to part with that large of a chunk of $$. Till then, I do wanna pick up an MT, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I figure the T-Maxx could give me somethin to fool around w/ till I DO buy one of the newer trucks.. Get a feel for what I really like to do w/ them, and hopefully hear more reviews on the LST (So far, I've heard great reviews on REVO, but next to nothin on LST).

As far as sellin, I'd probably just put it into a rotation as far as when I ran it. Ofcourse a new truck will always kick the old truck to the side for a little while atleast.

~ Mike

MyJeep said:
Come on olds97_lss, you have been discourage people to get t-maxx lately. :smoke:

T-maxx is a good truck eventually not for extreme bashing like you did most of the time.

That's all I'm trying to let people know. If you want to race or drive around in your yard, it's a good truck. If you want to beat the crap out of it and have minimal or no downtime due to busted parts... then it isn't.

Not discouraging, just informing. I've had 2 maxx's, a xxx-nt and a savage. For what I do (as I've thouroughly explained), neither of the maxx's or the nt worked for me.

I don't necessarily bash (talk crap about) the maxx, I explain where and how I drive it. If the person asking questions wants to drive the way I do where I do, then I have helped them make an educated descision. Anything I've posted wasn't a lie or an exageration. It was a personal experiance that I had. I spent what I spent in $ and time on the maxx. Maybe I didn't buy the best parts available, but in a lot of cases I bought good stuff. The only really crappy stuff I bought were integy bulkheads. The rest was pretty good stuff.

There isn't any point to lieing, just like there isn't any point to not informing someone. If I didn't write what I wrote, then I'd feel as if I was lieing. And I suck at lieing. I read threads... a lot of them, and lately I've run accross quite a few about guys wanting more from thier maxx. So you are right that I've been frequently "informing" people of what I've done and what works vs what doesn't.

Ok, so today after work (another 14hr day) I went over to my buddies house, and ran my XXX-NT. He's got a pretty nice track in his yard, good fun :)

Anyways, while i was there, I got that list of stuff on the T-Max. I'll copy what was written down here, so you can see the extras thats listed...

Quote:

os .12 CVR-X (maybe 3 tanks)
Robinson Racing vented flywheel
gpm heatsink motor mount
robinson brake disc
mip cv's front/back/center
Alumum servo mounts
aluminum chassis braces
new era full skid plates
custom servo skid plate
RPM arms and 1 extra set
RPM bulkheads braces
new era aluminum bumpers
proline bowtie tires (2 runs)
all stainless allen screws
aluminum ball bearing steering
blue associated tuned pipe
traxxas tuned header
titanium hing pins
stock radio gear

Extras:
Arms, bulkheads, titanium tie rods, clutch bell, stock screws, stock wheels and tires, radio boxes new steel diff kit, 2 or 3 boddies 1 is new unpainted peterbuilt from proiline, Many extra parts.

Seems like a sweeter deal everytime I think about this truck :) I think I may go ahead and get it this week just so I can tide over my MT craving (would be a lot funner to run while I"m at home, since I dont have a track built)

Well, Nevermind on the T-Maxx. Nice truck, but after consulting with some of the locals that were at hte hobby shop (and both have had, or still have, T-Maxx's), I changed my mind on the deal. VERY Nice truck, very tempting, but the guy is firm on 300, and the guys I spoke with said its not worth $300, they're a dime-a-dozen... Then they explained some of the weak points, and this and that...

I'm buying a Savage SS kit... This way I get to build my truck, learn it as I go. I may spend more $$ now, but from all the testimonials, i'll spend less in the long run replacing broken pieces. Enough on the savage.. it is :OT:

~ Mike

Good decision plus why buy a monster truck w/ a .12 in it when you can enjoy building a monster truck with a .25 thats a big difference. good decision, o and to let you know i owne a t-maxx so.