WLTOYS 12428 - steering problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackMees

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought my son a WLTOYS 12428 For his birthday. After a couple days it started having a few problems with the steering. The servo kept clunking and jolting all the time, even when not trying to steer. It’s also slow and unresponsive, sometimes not turning at all...

I replace the servo to see if it would make any difference. It worked perfectly for about 10 mins but now seems to have slipped back into its old ways....?.

See the attached link to a video of the problem...

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jack

My only guess is that the servo end points aren’t set right so it’s burning up the servo. I’ve never owned a wiltoys though so I don’t know how you set them. But maybe someone else does. Could also be that the gears in the servo aren’t made well and the teeth on the gears chip easily.

You probably won't like my answer but if I were you I would throw it away and get a hobby grade car that you can get parts for and it would be more durable. It still may only last a couple of days before it breaks but you can always get parts for it. I would recommend a traxxas or an arrma

Sounds like your servo is stripped. The 12428 comes with cheap plastic gear servo but you can get an upgraded metal gear one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-3...0-For-Wltoys-12428-Feiyue-FY-03-/164260265335

This is the only one I could find not from China. Not sure why your servo would strip so easily, had it been crashed frequently? Can get a servo saver which protects the servo gears.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Stee...r-Wltoys-12428-12423-1-12-Speed-/184296208482
can't find a US based one. Can get a servo saver that isnt built for the wltoy. This one might work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimbrough-201-Servo-Saver-Mid-Size-W-Holes-/123805560054
It replaced the servo horn and had internal spring to protect gears. Good luck

Wltoy 12428 is "technically" hobby grade, it is fully upgradable and can get new parts for it, usually from china though. This car got me into RC. My esc fried so I went and upgraded it to brushless and all metal gears and aluminum steering components and custom front shock tower. Its fast and fun, still breaks all the time but I can fix it with my eyes closed now. Have since gotten a redcat blackout brushless and realize how crappy the wltoy is but it is still a fun car.

Hi all,

I bought my son a WLTOYS 12428 For his birthday. After a couple days it started having a few problems with the steering. The servo kept clunking and jolting all the time, even when not trying to steer. It’s also slow and unresponsive, sometimes not turning at all...

I replace the servo to see if it would make any difference. It worked perfectly for about 10 mins but now seems to have slipped back into its old ways....?.

See the attached link to a video of the problem...

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jack
I have one as well. Truth is, the installed electronics are trash. I inexpensively replaced all electronics using Bangood. There are many options available so it won't be too fast for the little ones and it will run longer with very few problems. I would also suggest the WLtoys 144001 buggy. Runs awesomely and has driver skill levels built into the remote. Electronics work way better. Good luck! ?