Winter project has arrived

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I ordered up an Axial scx10 JK Rubicon, it arrived yesterday (not bad considering I ordered it on Friday). Anyways my question is, is there anything that should be upgraded immediately? I plan on keeping it stock until I found out if this style of the hobby is enjoyable to me, but at the same time I don't want to be down due to something that could have easily been prevented in the build portion.

I opened it up right after the mailman came and immediately thought I'm in over my head (first kit), but after skimming the manual it actually doesn't look all that hard at all.
I plan on running a 35t Holmes Hobbies Torque Master motor, BRXL waterproof ESC, a waterproof Spektrum 3ch receiver, and I'm unsure on a servo right now. Thinking the Holmes Hobbies one right now.

All information, help, constructive criticism, is greatly appreciated.

Oh and one more thing, build thread or no? I only ask because there has been quite few on this kit.

I vote build thread, but I didn't when I built my wraith.

I'm interested in what upgrades you decide upon since I plan on opening up my scx10 before too long.

If I enjoy the truck and have time to use it, I'll have some plans for lots of Vanquish parts. That will be a next winter project though.
For now it'll just be scale accessories, and definitely a RC4WD Warn winch and the wireless controller.

I'm always down for a build thread! The thing about this type of RC is...Do you like challenging your driving skillz? From stock to highly modified this rigs will challange you, do you have the patience to learn how to read terrain, learn when to use throttle are when to use finesse? They look cool but enjoy the challange! The first time you navigate it where you never imagined it would go is the moment you'll know!

Nothing wrong starting off in stock form but when you do start to upgrade I would start with a high powered servo, upgraded steering components, HD shafts and 3s lipo or more.

Check out HPIguy's Rubicon thread for a cheap way to upgrade the shafts and other nice tips!

Thanks for the props Pete! I too always enjoy a good build thread, congrats on the new JK. I just had mine out for it's first time really crawling, and I'm highly impressed with it in basically stock form. Also, a word of caution; the RC4WD winch is known to be not much more than bumper candy if you plan to actually use it. And, whatever you do, mount the battery up front, it works better everywhere, not just crawling.

I'm always down for a build thread! The thing about this type of RC is...Do you like challenging your driving skillz? From stock to highly modified this rigs will challange you, do you have the patience to learn how to read terrain, learn when to use throttle are when to use finesse? They look cool but enjoy the challange! The first time you navigate it where you never imagined it would go is the moment you'll know!

Nothing wrong starting off in stock form but when you do start to upgrade I would start with a high powered servo, upgraded steering components, HD shafts and 3s lipo or more.

Check out HPIguy's Rubicon thread for a cheap way to upgrade the shafts and other nice tips!

Thanks for the props Pete! I too always enjoy a good build thread, congrats on the new JK. I just had mine out for it's first time really crawling, and I'm highly impressed with it in basically stock form. Also, a word of caution; the RC4WD winch is known to be not much more than bumper candy if you plan to actually use it. And, whatever you do, mount the battery up front, it works better everywhere, not just crawling.
I do enjoy a challenge, I'm the kind of guy that will try to get through some terrain and not stop until I get it, the truck breaks, or my batteries die. I already plan on a high powered servo, the rest of those upgrades will be done down the line or when parts break.
Are you talking about the metal rod in the drivesharts from HPIguys thread? I had remembered about that and was going to take a look at it again.

HPIguy, is there a better known winch? I did plan on using it, and I'm now wondering what it's downfalls are.

Next question will be more then likely about a BEC, I plan on a light kit, light bar, and the winch. I just want a basic light kit, no turn signals, no brightening headlights when the throttle is pushed. That just doesn't seem scale to me, does anyone use turn signals on the trails? I'm going to research BECs more on a later day my batteries dying on my tablet and I don't want to go sit at my desktop.

HPIguts threads shows how to slug the stock plastic drive shafts to prevent them from twisting. I used a Castle BEC that was adjustable up to 9v, it handled the need for extra power needed to run high powered servo and lights. There might be other options but that is the one I have experience with.

Good quality metal links are a must as is a good high-powered steering servo. I use a HiTec HS5955TG on mine. Here's a pic of mine with an RC4WD.com chassis mounted servo (CMS).

20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

If you're going with a winch of any kind, get a a good metal bumper.

20130302_152450_zps7f5c45fe.jpg

Mine is a Rampage JK Recovery Bumper. The last thing I recommend is a good set of beadlocks. I use the Proline Denalis. I painted mine silver.

20140808_164104_zpsdcuk6wjx.jpg

I use a pair of G.T. Power RC flashing light kits on this beast (one for the chassis and one for the lid). They don't draw a lot of current and work well on 4.5 to 6 VDC. My rock lights are 12 VDC white LEDs (they have a voltage-dropping resistor already soldered on.

20140715_222131_zpsqqmlfzvl.jpg

20140715_222117_zpsd3ix9ffc.jpg

You can do as much or as little as you want to. I started slow and built it into the monster it is now over several years.

Alright guys it's almost time to start this build, so I need to start picking up some of my components. First is the motor ESC combo, I'm down to 2 choices. The Holmes Hobbies BRXL waterproof ESC and Trailmaster pro 35t motor or this.
http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/366142/TT2099-FXR-ESC-Crawler-Combo-40T-Pro-Motor/
Both will it end up costing the same, but I'd have to order the HH combo and pay shipping. The Tekin I'd just pick up from my LHS. Any other good choices I'm all ears.

I'm always in for a build thread. I've never seen one of these in kit form. Can you post a pic of what it looks like fresh in the box or is it too late?

It's not to late, I'll get that picture when I actually start the build thread.

HH stuff is top notch there waterproof BRXL will be my next purchase for my TF2.

Sorry, I meant Torqumaster. Do you think me going for the Torquemaster pro is overkill? Would the Expert, or Sport be a better idea for this rig. I just plan on using it on a backyard trail I plan on building and some wooded areas around my house.

Okay so I went with the Holmes Hobbies BRXL waterproof ESC, Torque Master pro 35t motor, I got the complete combo with the servo, a CC BEC, and a RX bypass cable to run the servo and future light kit.

Now my question is what do recommend for a spur and pinion gears? I was thinking 18-87.
Also I want to run the servo at its full rated input voltage of 7.4v right off the BEC. But the lights come right off the BEC as well and I can't seem to find any light kits that can handle 7.4v. Anybody got any ideas, or know of any light kits that can handle 7.4v? Or do you think I should just run the servo at 6.0v off the BEC?

Well had a couple of free hours today figured I'd start this!

@Nitrotrout heres your picture!
image.jpg

The electronics.
image.jpg

My build partner.
image.jpg

I got the front and rear axles done, thats all I had time for. I might continue after hockey depending on how tired I am.
image.jpg

Not derailing, but I need a measurement from you. The rear axle, what's the measurement from end to end of the plastic housing and the measurement from end to end of the threaded axles?

Roughly plastic end to end is 7 1/8, end to end is 8 1/2.

I say roughly as I'm using a tape measure, my caliper doesn't go that big.
I cancelled my hockey plans due to freezing rain, I have to go two towns over for it so almost a half hour.

No problem Rolex.
No further work was done tonight, had to clear out the laundry room for the electrician in the morning. Got a badly damaged wire and a fried rodent under the house! It's all good its only for the dryer which is on its own circuit and breaker box, so no real big damage.

I miss renting somedays!

Back