Winter build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snook Man

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I normally do 1 custom build every winter, the last few years have been builds based on nothing but speed runs, I got bored with speed so this year its back to a dirt track build.

This year it’s a T-Muggy, Version 2.0 (TMaxx and Truggy Hybrid).
I built 1 a few years ago and learned what overall improvements it needed, most of which will be incorporated into this 1.

It’s a flat pan chassis like a truggy custom cut to fit the TMaxx style bulkheads/suspension front & rear.

2 lower chassis braces, and 1 upper full length brace that tie the rear bulks into the CD and custom front upper steering plate which also ties into the front bulks.

Custom shock towers that are lower than standard with the shock mounting positioned moved inboard as far as possible.

photo54_zps4f5251c1.gif

I modified an Ofna steering bell crank with longer draglink and repositioned the posts farther back and wider apart to get a proper Ackerman angle and to gain clearance for other parts.
I also have incorporated capture bars for the upper and lower hinge pins to gain strength at the un-captured ends.

photo53_zps326cbbcc.gif

I’m using rear TMaxx bulkheads in the front and rear, the chassis plate and rear bulks do not have any angle built into them for caster so I’m making custom front upper a-arms to gain the caster.
A stock TMaxx is only capable of 10 degrees of + caster which is one of the major problems it has in cornering ability.
With my arms I will have the option of running 19 or 17 degrees of caster depending on which side of the arm I mount up/down.

photo12_zpsbfe84211.gif

I still have a lot of parts to make but it should be rtr by spring.

Yeah snook! I've been waiting for you to start a build like this one, this is something I've been pondering for a while myself,I've always enjoyed your one offs man, hands down the best I've seen, truely works of art

Last edited:
That is awesome! Looks great, now that's a build...
Any idea on power plant? Nova

Thanks guy’s.

I put a lot of thought into this one before even making the 1st template.
It should perform pretty well on the track amongst the other truggy’s I usually run with.

Power plant will be a fresh O.S. 28XZ since the chassis is bump start. I also have another fresh Nova .28-7 RT (←I love those) if I want to go with a roto start setup, either should toss it around very well.
I’ve already fitted both with clutch and pipe setups so it just a simple swap if I want to change it up.

28XZ_zps695434bb.gif

I finalized a few more part designs so I could place an order for aluminum.
I’m making enough spare parts to build another like it, and my aluminum stock is running low.

Wing mount:

Whenever I can, I use the Revo wing mount on a TMaxx just because I have had very good luck with it compared to others I have used. But it takes modifications to make it fit.

I’ve mounted it to the shock tower several different ways before but this time I wanted it as low as possible.

I drilled and tapped the bulkheads and made a cross bar that attaches to them, the bar is also drilled/tapped for the lower attachment screws of the wing mount.
The top of the Revo mount has built in hooks, I made a cross bar to fit the hooks and then mounted it to the shock tower with standoffs between the bar and the tower.

photo55_zps61df1283.gif

I always use 2 toe links/turnbuckles mounted on the wing mount and usually tie them into the bulkheads for extra supports but being this one is mounted so close to the bulkheads I had to go a different route.
I already had a capture plate made for the rear lower hinge pins, but I redesigned it to anchor the turnbuckles to and still capture the hinge pins.

photo58_zpsb899635e.gif

photo56_zpsdf1f1585.gif

Aluminum on order…

That looks sick. Keep on it man.

That is sweet Bro! Glad to see the Maxx platform get taken to the next level:whhooo:

I got my aluminum order and finished cutting out a few more parts this weekend.
Nothing is quite finished yet but I did bevel the edges on 1 of the a-arms to see what they are going to look like.
I made a small plate that attaches to the chassis deck and extends out for the pipe hanger, and remade the top hinge pin retainer bars out of thicker aluminum; I also found a nice place for my fuel filter in the rear.
For now I’m keeping it simple for the shock towers, they are a lot smaller than the pics make them look but should be as bullet proof as they can get.

Still a lot of trimming and finishing to do on the aluminum parts, but the hard part is done.
I’ve ordered new stone guards/receiver box etc and should be able to start the final assembly in a few weeks when I get some time off work.

photo69_zps918da4e9.gif

photo68_zps2682a442.gif

photo64_zps4391201a.gif

photo62_zpsa8679123.gif

Man she's coming along....how does that intertwined spring setup work out for ya snook

WOW! This thing is off the hook bro, I agree with hotrod that spring setup is freakin cool man!:whhooo:

how does that intertwined spring setup work out for ya snook

That spring setup was used on my Street S Maxx, It’s the super soft UE super shock chrome springs with the traxxas soft BB shock spring wound inside.
Works great on a 7lb truck with a 4 shock setup but will be way too soft in the 10 lb range. I’m just using them for mock-up; I have new Super Shocks & LX One rears with Revo VD pistons installed with an assortment of springs for this build. (I’m a shock hoarder:D).

Great lookin build so far Snook! Keep the pics comin

as with everything you do Snook.........looks killer !!!!!!

Thanks again guy's...

New idea:
I may make my own (Poor Man’s) rear setback arms.
I need a few question answered 1st before I decide if I want to go through with it. Those running or have on hand the RPM True Track, I need to know if the toe is set in the hub (should be) or in the arms (I have not run the true track in years and can't remember for sure). Also if you have a set of calipers, what is the inside measurement of the lower arm where the hub fits, or the width of the hub at the pin hole.
Setback_zps99610e49.gif