Windows Updates...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a few computers that are on Dial-up and running WindowsXP Pro, but would like to install Service Pack 1 and all the other updates (mainly to protect myself from the msblaster worm) so downloading them via Dial-up would take pretty long.

Is there a site or way to download these updates from Mircosoft w/o installing them, then burn them onto a CD where I can then take it to the other computers and install them?

Any help is appreciated.

-Michael

Mike, I found this by searching google

Open the Windows Update page. Select Windows Update Catalog. If it's not there, open Personalize Windows Update, check "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also," and click the Save Settings button.

The Windows Update Catalog will give you access to all the updates. Select "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems," then choose Windows XP SP1 (or whatever OS you are dealing with) as the Operating System, a language, and click on Search. Select Critical Updates and Service Packs. Add each upgrade you want, then go to the download basket. You will be able to download the upgrades and burn them to a CD.

You'll also notice that Driver Updates and Multi-Language Features are available along the way.

I had no idea you could do this! Download ALL of the updates from micosoft. That's sweet.

Did you try this, because I didnt see any links to download software, only purchase hardware and software.

-Michael

HAHA - I found it, but not from the Windows Update Catalog...well at least not by clicking on the link that shows up during the windows update page, but by going here:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

Thanks Rob!!!

you didn't look very hard. hehe

i'm downloading updates now...

goto windowsupdate.microsoft.com

click on Personalize Windows Update (left side)

click Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also. and save changes

on the left pane you will now have a new link that says Windows Update Catalog. you then pick the OS & service pack that you're dealing with. then you have to manually (kind of sucks) add each update to your download basket. I had to click 40 add buttons in my case.

then you go to the download basket thing and pick a destination folder.

I'm downloading now. i don't know how it's going to organize the updates on the disk or if it will have some nice installer script to use.

-Rob

I wouldn't rejoice yet. after you download the updates. it kind spews them onto the hard drive. it's a pain in the ass because you'd have to install each one by hand and they should be installed in a certain order as well.

kind of dumb. there must be a good way to do it.

Well I'm going to run Windows XP Service Pack 1, then IE 6 Service Pack 1, then IE6 SP1 Update, then just run all the updates after that. I think once the service packs have been ran it doesn't matter to much if any which gets installed next.

Let me know if you do find a better way.

-Michael

Rob,

I've finished downloading all the service packs, and updates for Windows XP Pro. There are a few dozen folders that contain each update, which as you said is a real pain in the butt.

However I noticed that there is a .XML file and when opened looks to hold all the updates names and where they are kept on the hard drive, but there are no links to click on to install to make it easy. If there was a way to convert XML to html then it would be very easy.

Anyone know of a better way to view this file to be able to click on each update just as if you where doing it on the internet to install?

-Michael

Back