Winding Issues HPI MT2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcal626

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Boating
Running into some issues with my friends Nitro RC HPI MT-2

Brought it to me making some weird winding issues. Took it apart found a cooked clutch, stripped clutch bell housing. Pretty much gone slipper clutch. Front and rear diffs seems in good condition spin with no problem, also didn’t find any metal shavings.
Replaced clutch, clutch bell housing, spur gear, slipper clutch and metal plate that holds it into place.
Put everything back together and still makes winding noises when giving it gas. You can hear the RPMs increase and car is still moving slow. When I take the car off the ground so the tires don’t have a load. Give the car throttle and the tires spin quick to we’re it starts ballooning. Can’t figure it out and kind of want to throw in the towel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

208A42B7-7E8C-444D-BEC8-D6618E625913.jpeg

CD0D4E3D-7A91-4378-B12D-14FF9FD99BB3.jpeg

36E56724-BDAE-4E7D-8E5B-1D5A2F90851E.jpeg

94E14A1A-C3DF-4450-B544-82D69D51EEF9.jpeg

86D69309-CB7B-4FB0-AF2E-91BACC12EA79.jpeg

As mentioned above, Id tighten the slipper all the way down and then back it of about 1/4 - 1/2 of a turn and check that. If not that then Id move on to tearing down the drive train and inspecting for damage. Id start with the end that I think the sound is coming from and then move to the other end if no problem is found there. If no l;uck then Id move on to tearing the nitro engine down and inspecting all the parts there, especially the bearings.

No idea what it is, but I noticed that all my HPI cars/engines whine a little bit when decelerating.
Never bothered me.
If it works good, nothing is wearing, rubbing...scratching, leave and enjoy that beautiful car.

Back