Why aren't my NIMH receiver packs lasting?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So just a little history. I've owned my Baja since 2010 and I ran the stock pack for awhile and then I upgraded sometime in 2012 to the Venom 5000 mah pack. That pack lasted until midway of 2013 and had a dead cell. Then I purchased another one last year which lasted until today. I last ran my Baja June 7th and I charged the pack prior to running. Today I check the battery at the house and it seemed fine. So I went to the field I run to, filled up the tank and then I checked the servos. The battery was so dead when I turned on the radio and checked the servos the fail safe would kick in. I'm running the stock radio and stock servos. So I went to charge the pack today when I got home and it went until 273mah and it said full to capacity. I running this charger:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLH3

which charges my lipos, nicads and other nimh packs I have. So how do I prevent this from happening? I charged the pack at the end of last season and I topped it off when I brought it back out this year. I run about 2 gallons a year which runs from around late April until it's too wet to run in the fall. I would go Lipo but I don't feel safe running a lipo on 6v servos without a regulator and money is tight at the moment.

How about a LiFe RX pack. It's close enough in voltage that a regulator isn't needed.

I was looking at a life pack at my lhs around April that was made by killer rc but it had a weird balance plug on it so I passed. I was looking at a life pack from tower that's made by hobbico but looking at the dimensions compared to the pack I have, it won't fit into my receiver box. So I bought another venom pack expecting a season out of it and next season when I have the coin I'll get the killer rc lipo pack and regulator. The thing that I don't get is I have other stick packs that I use made by Venom and Duratrax that I use for my electrics and my nitro starters (roto start, pro start) that I usually never touch and they're fine. Go figure.