Who is going to be the first...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA0701

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
To drop one of these in their Xmaxx or SCX6? It sounds incredible! Don't need one of those little speakers anymore.

To be honest, cool factor yes but total waste of money in a Xmaxx.
The Xmaxx is designed to run full tilt boogie. It would be difficult to
hear engine noise when it usually is quite a ways away from us.
I can definitely see it in the SCX6 though, and hear it. :D
$2,100 ? I could almost buy a Taylor RC with that and have the coolest sound in the world. :thumbs-up:

To be honest, cool factor yes but total waste of money in a Xmaxx.
The Xmaxx is designed to run full tilt boogie. It would be difficult to
hear engine noise when it usually is quite a ways away from us.
I can definitely see it in the SCX6 though.
And I highly doubt you'd be able to get anywhere near the speed of an X-Maxx. Those little V8's are cool and all, but I've seen builds with miniature V8's, and they aren't fast at all.

Last edited:
No they are not. To me, it's nothing more than a novelty piece, AKA self queen.
Mighty expensive shelf queen at that.
I watch JohnnyQ90 builds on youtube and he really mods the hop ups but still slow.

To drop one of these in their Xmaxx or SCX6? It sounds incredible! Don't need one of those little speakers anymore.

Not trying to destroy your thread bud but to me, they are a total waste of money.
I do however think they are very cool but the price kills it.
I actually really like the steam engines and would love to build a couple kits.

I would love to get a scale V8 and just mount it to a display. Especially one of the supercharger equipped ones. They sound so cool.

And I highly doubt you'd be able to get anywhere near the speed of an X-Maxx. Those little V8's are cool and all, but Iveseen builds with miniature V8's, and they aren't fast at all.
But, I would imagine you'd have torque for days. I have seen similar videos to the ones you mention, and in the videos I saw, the builder commented on his issue being one of gearing. I don't know if you'll ever be able to replicate the speed of an electric motor, but I would think you would be able to match the torque. I would think it would do well for crawling. The biggest issue, for me, would be how long would a motor like this last under the constant strain put on it by RC'ing with it. I don't know how much those bearing could take.

Talbot did a video on building one of these, and he blew the motor, but he was also trying to run it at some really high RPMs if memory serves. In all honesty, I think these types of motors are made to look super cool on a desk, I don't know how much practical use you'd have with one.

These guys make some monster rigs using these types of motors, as well as standard RC type motors. If you aren't familiar with these guys, check out their videos, they make some seriously incredible RC rigs, both gas and electric.

Not trying to destroy your thread bud but to me, they are a total waste of money.
I do however think they are very cool but the price kills it.
I actually really like the steam engines and would love to build a couple kits.
No worries, man, my title was more one of humor, than intentional. While I think these engines are super cool, I am not so sure of their practicality for our uses, else we'd be seeing a lot more of them. Yes, you can build a rig with them, as I just posted, but how long are those rigs going to remain running, especially in a bashing situation.

But, I would imagine you'd have torque for days. I have seen similar videos to the ones you mention, and in the videos I saw, the builder commented on his issue being one of gearing. I don't know if you'll ever be able to replicate the speed of an electric motor, but I would think you would be able to match the torque. I would think it would do well for crawling. The biggest issue, for me, would be how long would a motor like this last under the constant strain put on it by RC'ing with it. I don't know how much those bearing could take.

Talbot did a video on building one of these, and he blew the motor, but he was also trying to run it at some really high RPMs if memory serves. In all honesty, I think these types of motors are made to look super cool on a desk, I don't know how much practical use you'd have with one.

These guys make some monster rigs using these types of motors, as well as standard RC type motors. If you aren't familiar with these guys, check out their videos, they make some seriously incredible RC rigs, both gas and electric.

I kinda doubt you'd get anywhere near the torque of a brushless motor, depending on how big the motor is of course. Ever see the specs of a Tesla?

I would love to get a scale V8 and just mount it to a display. Especially one of the supercharger equipped ones. They sound so cool.
I think that is their real purpose to begin with. But, knowing the creative minds in this hobby, as soon as I saw those motors popping up, I knew someone would start putting them into RC rigs. That is how I found RC Tanks and Trucks.

I think that is their real purpose to begin with. But, knowing the creative minds in this hobby, as soon as I saw those motors popping up, I knew someone would start putting them into RC rigs. That is how I found RC Tanks and Trucks.
The first scale V8 I ever saw was built about 30 years ago by a man named Gary Conley. These are nothing new. Just new designs. Gary put his engines in RC cars and bikes, way back then.
Conley28.jpg

Conley52.jpg

Conley57.jpg

Conley5.jpg

Conley14.jpg

The first scale V8 I ever saw was built about 30 years ago by a man named Gary Conley. These are nothing new. Just new designs. Gary put his engines in RC cars and bikes, way back then.
View attachment 190706
View attachment 190707
View attachment 190708
View attachment 190709
View attachment 190710
Those are super cool! No, these motors haven't just arrived, I just think they are being made more readily available. What is the longevity and practically of such a motor, I believe that lies strictly in the eyes of the person who owns one. If they dig it, regardless of how well it runs, then at the end of the day, that is all that really matters.

But, those rigs you just showed, I could really use one of those in my life. :cheers:

The readily available ones are all Chinese made. In the last 20 years, China has gotten a lot better at machining. Before that, they couldn't make a paperclip that wasn't crap. But they are getting better.

The readily available ones are all Chinese made. In the last 20 years, China has gotten a lot better at machining. Before that, they couldn't make a paperclip that wasn't crap. But they are getting better.
They got better, because they stole the ideas and processes of others to get there. I see zero innovation coming out of China, and doubt we ever will. There is no incentive for them to create, when they can simply steal. But, if there ever does happen to be any actual innovation out of China, I hope someone else immediately takes that idea and creates something awesome with it.

They got better, because they stole the ideas and processes of others to get there. I see zero innovation coming out of China, and doubt we ever will. There is no incentive for them to create, when they can simply steal. But, if there ever does happen to be any actual innovation out of China, I hope someone else immediately takes that idea and creates something awesome with it.
They don't have copyright laws in China. We do. If we copied their chit, they could come here and sue us. But not vice-versa.

They don't have copyright laws in China. We do. If we copied their chit, they could come here and sue us. But not vice-versa.

As far as I know, our copyright laws do not extend to things created elsewhere, but I could be wrong on that. Besides there's more than one way to skin a cat, though there;s no way that the cat's gonna like, meaning reverse engineering is a real thing. That is how many computer companies, back in the beginning, created their own individual bios'. They literally backwards engineered the bios made by IBM.

Back