Which would you recomend?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you can get the rod that opens the cab further out on the servo. it will open the carb faster at idle. this only gives responce at idle. as you drive it will tend to be ether full on or off. in some driving cases you may not want that.

Moe, you lost me a little on that one. I understand what you are saying but not what you are seeing. The current carb(pictured) is rotary not a slide.

And my biggest problem is no running engine still.

Well, without the e-starter, you may have enough room beside the engine to use a pivot post like the t-maxx has. Then your current wire (or one like it) would go from the servo to the pivot, then a shorter wire to the carb for a slide carb.

I like pull-starters, but I'm not popular with that. :)

Assuming you complete the swap, how long do you expect the stock and somewhat chincy construction of the terra Crusher to hold up?

"Chincy"....huh. They are actually a fairly solid truck from what I have found. Granted, the latest and greatest 1/8 monsters out there have over a decade of new technology behind them and a price tag to match. The Terra Crusher still helped set the stage for today's monsters, the main problems being the heavy tires and weak poorly designed engine, the trans takes some fine tuning, but is solid. Yep, I'm an optimist. LOL

While I've been researching engines I've picked up other little pieces here and there. Going with a red theme(it's a Firefighter thing I guess) got rid of the blue, why on earth is there so much blue aluminum for r/c trucks? Disassembled, cleaned, added a little shiny stuff, have a TNX5.2 drive train, and waiting on some red second gen plastic parts from the UK guys. Picked up a HPI Grave Robber body to paint with my boys. They are both new to r/c so I let them pick out their own bodies to do themselves. Sounds like Ben10 and Minecraft themes are the plan for them. It will be a good spring break project. Engine wise I am looking at the Losi 3.4 right now, seems to be a little stronger than the 3.3 and isn't blue.

Hi i need to nou if a os 20e carb will fit on a gs 21b01 motor

I talked with Traxxas about this and they say it's not enough of a problem to be concerned with. They told me there are thousands of these engines in service and not very many of them have failed. ???? Really! Enough have failed that someone is making a bunch of money selling upgraded rods! I told them that they don't want to address it because it would cost them money.

It is most definitely a concern as well as a cheap main bearing, the only two reasons that I will not touch them. I had a terra crusher back in the day and kicked the crap out of it, it's pretty tough considering the technology they had back then. I would go with the .18 OS TZ, they are excellent little mills.

to badaxe. sorry the day after my last post my step dad went into the hospital. he died yesterday. ok back to throttles. on a servo arm, if you can get push rod farther away from the pivot shaft the carb will open faster at idle. it doesn't give more power, just faster response. shift to new focus, a t-max has a bell crank. and the two arms are different lengths. i was able the flip the bell crank over and improved the throttle response. but be sure it doesn't bind, or lock open.

I didn't mean for it to sound condescending. The engine was indeed an honest failure from my experience. But I'm hoping this swap works out for you. Because I want to find a use for the Terra Crusher. Considering there isn't any point in selling it.

Moe, sorry for your loss. Prayers to your family. Considering both the TRX and Losi are slide throttle I'm gonna try and fab up a system like the big block kit had.

County, not condescending at all, I understand. After missing out on a 50mph MGT8.0 for $150 I grabbed this one for a fraction of the price. Then I did the research and found out just how out dated our trucks are, but if that many mods could be done then why not now?

21_Conversion_03.jpg

p1_1.jpg

I think you should go with HPI G3.0 just because of the following reasons:
Composite body rotary valve carburetor with 5.5mm bore
- Silver colored cooling head
- SG (pilot) type crankshaft
- Two year limited warranty

I know this sounds dumb but why not drop a trx pro .15, it looks close to whats in there now and its a rotary carb and would be fairly cheap

Because he wants to get more power, if i were replacing an engine, like most here i would want more power too.

i realse he wants more power.....thanks for the update
only made the suggestion due to availabilty and and ease of install
personally if it were me i would look at the os engine lineup as i'm sure there is something still availablr with a rotary carb that will suit your needs/budget

When I last inquired about the HPI it was recommended to avoid. OS .18's were a very common swap, but I don't know if they can touch the base power of Losi or TRX.

Well after a long summer of keeping four boy's r/c running, maxing out our medical, and saving my pennies I've finally acquired an engine. I picked up an OFNA Picco .26Max (small block T-Maxx drop in). It came with the E-Z start and pull start, broke in properly, and just needs a couple things.

I'll need an air filter(easy), to modify my throttle from rotary to slide, and decide whether to take the exhaust out the rear(RD Logics system) or off the left side. Pics up soon. Also came across a basher body.

Back