Which T-Maxx upgrades next?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
The rain is here. I'm spending more time indoors tinkering with the T-maxx 3.3 and running it around on the sunny days as they show up. I'm looking to do some more hop-ups as I have the time to install. Currently I have the truck setup with RPM arms in the front and RPM true-track setup in the rear. RPM front bulkhead with their front bumper. I ditched the OEM battery pack for a rechargeable hump. Upgraded both servos to the blue waterproof ones. Swapped the single disk brake for a vented disk and I opted out of the reverse gear for a forward only transmission gearing. Threw on some nice 17mm hex with Pro-line trenchers. Everything else is stock..

My question: What would be the most beneficial upgrade to do next?

Looking at possibly:
  1. Traxxas steel center CV drive shafts.
  2. Big Bore shocks
  3. Water proof receiver box
  4. Integy 3pc clutch
  5. Losi 3.4 carb
  6. New tune pipe
  7. Motor saver filter
Thanks.

Guessing the trenchers are going to add some strain to things, you may want to get a larger spur or smaller bell to compensate for the load they will put on the engine.

Found these online last night and was wondering what the overall consensus on these parts was?

Buku exhaust pipe: http://www.bukupower.com/SmallBlock.aspx
Does it actually increase power/performance? Worth the extra coin?

RD LOGICS chassis: http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=81_97&products_id=23101
RD LOGICS supports:http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=81_97&products_id=23092

Would these be a good platform for my 1st T-maxx build? This is something for down the road..Maybe next winters build.

Thxs!

I would get the RPM rear bulkhead if you do not have it already. Some folks get a roll cage.

I would get the RPM rear bulkhead if you do not have it already. Some folks get a roll cage.

I purchased the rear bulkhead but haven't yet installed yet. Definitely interested in a nice roll cage.
any recommendations?

I purchased the rear bulkhead but haven't yet installed yet. Definitely interested in a nice roll cage.
any recommendations?
kinda depends on if you want to have a body or not. The one I have can only fit a body if you modify it by cutting out the windshield and make slits in the front for the down tubes. I don't know if it's because I have a custom chassis or if it's like that for all of them. Either way they are all about the same I am sure that someone can chime in here and clear up those questions. here is my cage.
IMG_0138.JPG

I like that cage! Looks like it protects everything that is vital. It seems like I always end up running it around naked anyways.

Still able to throw the OEM wheelie bar on the back with that cage?

It came on the truck already but if you google rc roll cages you can find the one the looks just like it. there is no mounting hardware requirement as it fits on the bumper mounts and is held on by the bumpers.

Still able to throw the OEM wheelie bar on the back with that cage?
I wouldn't see why not as it does not impose any other function or hardware on the truck.

I came across a great deal for a THS race pipe + header! :D
Then I found some videos on porting/polishing the 3.3 sleeve. Thinking I will try my hand at this and see how it goes. Picked up a Harbor Freight dremel and a spare motor off the shelf...

Wish me luck!

9f54b786-9ffc-432d-a785-23d180db78f8_zpsazi45tca.jpg

Sounds like fun. Keep me informed if you can so I can learn a thing or two. Good luck

Got rained out today, so I decided dive in....
CEF6CFB2-978D-4F5C-886C-3E1250C43C3C_zpsyjkud3tv.jpg

8F83CA46-A73A-4FDA-A456-10E7A480FFF2_zpskzdlmgox.jpg

CEF6CFB2-978D-4F5C-886C-3E1250C43C3C_zpsyjkud3tv.jpg

You can see that I removed material around the three different intake ports. I left the exhaust port as is. For my dremel tip I chose a cone shaped grinder bit and took my time adding "fangs" to the ports. I felt that the cone shape of the grinder bit helped in shaping the fangs. If your using a used sleeve as I was there will be discoloration under the ports. I used that discoloration as my guide as I ground the fangs, tapering them out. As you can see I did do some wondering with the grinder tip, but they very very light. The copper is soft and easily shaped. Then I hit it with some polish and the wheel.

Overall, it went pretty well. I'm happy with how things turned out. I know how I can improve upon the next one. That is, If I can get this one running properly. :)