Which short course truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy Wolf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm new to rc cars, and i was wondering what short course truck i should get. I have a price limit of around 200$. I've been looking at the sc10 brushed rtr. I can get i on tower hobbies for only 185$ with a 15$ gift card. Is the sc10 a good truck or should i be looking at something different? Sorry if a thread like this has already been posted.

SC10's are great rigs. Brushed will be fun too. When you get the extra coin, you will want to upgrade to brushless and lipo but brushed would be ok to start with. You may beable to fin a clean ready to run brushless Traxxas Slash 2wd for under $200 too, in my book they are about the most durable of a rig you can find plus they have heaps of aftermarket support. Good luck.

For future reference, when I get the cash, what would be a good brushless upgrade?

Hey there a ton of good brushless systems out there. I prefer Castle Creations, their customer service is exemplary.

You know what I don't understand? How you can go get a 48 inch wingspan brushless focke-wulf 190 for 200$, but a brushless sc10 is 300$? I mean the less expensive one freakin' FLIES.

Good news! I just ordered the sc10 for $176, with a $15 gift card (which is going to be used for a battery.) Question about batteries, what are the pros and cons for LiPo and NiMh?

Go lipo. Get a good charger and don't look back. More punch, more runtime, and a lot lighter. And it's getting to be cheaper.

I never ran electric other than small/micro stuff, but in my limited experience, lipo is the way to go and it's here to stay. Smaller packs, more punch, less voltage/power drop as the battery drains. As long as you buy a decent balance charger and keep a close eye from running the batteries dead, it's definitely the way to go.

Id say lipo as well!....:thumbs-up:

I'm a nitro guy ,but when I built that brushless & lipo street car I was amazed on how
long the lipo batts lasted on a run ,I can litterely run the car for 30 min. on a single charge!...:D

Old school was 6 to 7 min tops with modified brush motor & ni-cad...:(

Ok so definitly go lipo i already have a charger that i use for rc airplane lipos.

I'd go HolmesHobbies for a brushless system, I have HolmesHobbies brushless motors in my I/S wraith, in my bomber, and a HolmesHobbies brushless system in my ascender.

I/S wraith: HolmesHobbies 3500kv standard/Tekin RX8 G2.
Bomber: HolmesHobbies 3500kv XL/Tekin RX8 G2.
Ascender: HolmesHobbies 2000kv outrunner/HolmesHobbies BLE ECS.

Did you find the losi Rey trophy truck yet? I think that'll be one to add to my hobby shelves.

Last edited:
I wish I could afford a losi, but *sigh* I can't. :(

Back