Which is more powerful... nitro or gas?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hi everyone 😀

Was just pondering if a gas engine has a cc of 2 and a comparable nitro engine also is 2cc would the nitro or the gas one have more HP or torque?

Cheers,

I would guess that would be a bit tough to figure out. I run gas RC but it is 1/5 scale and my nitro is 1/10.
Honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin to test that.

Hi everyone 😀

Was just pondering if a gas engine has a cc of 2 and a comparable nitro engine also is 2cc would the nitro or the gas one have more HP or torque?

Cheers,
Hello sir. That's a question I'm not sure could be answered correctly unfortunately. As it is nitro usually are 1/10th scale rc. And actual petroleum gas powered are 1/5th scale. Plus the engines are made different and ran in different elements, and environments. That to compare a nitro to a gas it's like apples to oranges. The nitros run on methanol with additives. And gas is just petroleum with oil added. Nitro would have more power due to its size. Compared to a gas engine that small. The nitro will win every time. It's like a dragster against a sedan. Do you know what I mean..

Cc for cc nitro will have more power. Why they use it for top fuel drag cars

Thanks everyone for the replies😀

Sorry i asked such a difficult question that seems to have no answer but by the looks of things, cc for cc nitro is more powerful . Is there any advantage to gas at all and why don’t 5th scales run nitro engines?🧐

Cheers,

This reminds me of when my friends rode dirt bikes and one was a 2 stroke guy, and the other was a 4 stroke guy. On any given day, either one could beat the other around the dirt track they had through the woods, and both were like as good as the Supercross riders we watched on TV at the time.

Thanks everyone for the replies😀

Sorry i asked such a difficult question that seems to have no answer but by the looks of things, cc for cc nitro is more powerful . Is there any advantage to gas at all and why don’t 5th scales run nitro engines?🧐

Cheers,
1/5 scale rigs are big and heavy. I don't think a nitro would push it. I have a Baja 5b gas and building another one.
They are not the fastest RCs in the world but they are a ton of fun.
Nitro rigs are a lot faster unless you pump a few grand into a gas engine.
Gas engines are also a bit easier to keep them tuned. I honestly don't care for nitro but my Baja is my favorite rig.

Top Fuel dragsters are the quickest accelerating racing cars in the world and the fastest sanctioned category of drag racing, with the fastest competitors reaching speeds of 335 miles per hour (539 km/h) and finishing the 1,000 foot (305 m) runs in 3.62 seconds.

Guess what they run on?

1/5 scale rigs are big and heavy. I don't think a nitro would push it. I have a Baja 5b gas and building another one.
They are not the fastest RCs in the world but they are a ton of fun.
Nitro rigs are a lot faster unless you pump a few grand into a gas engine.
Gas engines are also a bit easier to keep them tuned. I honestly don't care for nitro but my Baja is my favorite rig.
Thanks for the response!

So are you saying that gas engines have more torque or for some reason they don't make a nitro engines that are big enough to push 5th scales cars?😀

Cheers,

Here is your answer for 5th powa ,the Diablo 88 Monster!..😂

1649650878836.png

1649650910993.png

https://www.taylorrc.co.uk/rcmax-engines

Thanks for the response!

So are you saying that gas engines have more torque or for some reason they don't make a nitro engines that are big enough to push 5th scales cars?😀

Cheers,
As said, it wouldnt practical. A 30cc motor made strong enough to handle the added power of running nitro would cost more than the whole 5th scale car. As far as torque goes, you can't compare a 5th scale size motor to a 1/10. Lets say a big block nitro motor .28 makes 3hp, and a 29cc gas motor makes 3.5 hp. Yes they are close on hp, but the gas motor will have way way more torque do to the size advantage. Longer stroke and a rotating assembly mass that weighs as much as 3nitro engines combined. All in all it takes a gas motor to be 24.5 cc larger to have the same hp

Try SONOCO 110 it smells pretty nice.

Av fuel with klotz in a 2stroke is out of this world

Some time back I forget what company, I think it was LOSI tried to make a gas engine for 1/10 and 1/8 vehicles, and it was very weak compared to a nitro engine. Nitro has more energy density, so pretty much by definition they are going to be faster if the displacement is equal.