Which 7.2 charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponch

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m out of the RC loop for a few decades but getting back into it. Looking for some charger advice. I’ll try to keep it brief. I have these two 7.2 packs used only for my Tmaxx EZ start. So I’m thinking hmm, keep using the old Piranha charger or get adapters for the B29 or Traxxas EZ Peak? The B29 came with a battery I just installed on the Tmaxx. The EZ Peak came with a TRX4 I just picked up. I guess I’m just trying to downsize/simplify. Thoughts? Thanks.
IMG_8567.jpeg

It would be based on what batteries you have. Looks like your batteries are NiMh type batteries.
My opinion would be the Traxxas EZ-peak. It has the higher charge rate capacity and can do NiMh and older NiCd batteries. It can also charge LiPo batteries, which are the "upgrade" to those older battery types (NiCd&NiMh).
The B29 looks to be only a small capacity battery charger, made for receiver size NiMh & NiCd batteries. The Pirana is an old school charger. It's made for NiCd batteries and doesn't have the internal technology to charge a NiMh battery.

I would use the Traxxas charger, find a Traxxas to Tamiya charge lead, and pray that it actually works. Nimh probably works regardless of brand but I know with non Traxxas lipos some brands might not work.

It would be based on what batteries you have. Looks like your batteries are NiMh type batteries.
My opinion would be the Traxxas EZ-peak. It has the higher charge rate capacity and can do NiMh and older NiCd batteries. It can also charge LiPo batteries, which are the "upgrade" to those older battery types (NiCd&NiMh).
The B29 looks to be only a small capacity battery charger, made for receiver size NiMh & NiCd batteries. The Pirana is an old school charger. It's made for NiCd batteries and doesn't have the internal technology to charge a NiMh battery.
Yes the packs are NiMH. I’ve charged them on the Piranha for years without issue. So there is an adapter for the EZ Peak?

Yes the packs are NiMH. I’ve charged them on the Piranha for years without issue. So there is an adapter for the EZ Peak?
Yes. You can find the adapters all over. Just search Traxxas female to Tamiya male adapter.
(You also need to use the "advanced mode" on the Traxxas charger)

Not saying it doesn't charge NiMh batteries. The Piranha charger can't peak detect NiMh batteries, it can overcharge.

Yes. You can find the adapters all over. Just search Traxxas female to Tamiya male adapter.
(You also need to use the "advanced mode" on the Traxxas charger)

Not saying it doesn't charge NiMh batteries. The Piranha charger can't peak detect NiMh batteries, it can overcharge.
Awesome. Yea that’s what I’ve wondered with the Piranha. Is it under charging? Over charging? Cool I’ll ditch it and get an adapter. Thanks

Just realized something else. You probably will need an adapter for the Tmaxx battery. You're referring to receiver battery?

3028adapter.jpg

Just realized something else. You probably will need an adapter for the Tmaxx battery. You're referring to receiver battery?

View attachment 173914

View attachment 173914
Right on. If I were to charge the Tmaxx receiver with the EZ Peak I’d need one of those too 👍🏻. So I was just looking at Tamiya to Traxxas adapters as you mentioned earlier. I had searched prior to coming here but it just didn’t look right. I’m guessing this will fit in there?
IMG_8570.png
IMG_8571.jpeg

:thumbs-up: Yes it will. The plug works with the new style Traxxas ID connectors and also the first gen non-ID connectors. (Like shown in your photo)

Back