Where's all the oil coming from??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evildoublez

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi, new to nitro and I'm hoping you all can help me out. I'm in the process of breaking in a Mach 427 engine and it always seems to be running very rich. I get it fairly tuned, pack it in for the day, and when I restart it it's as if it was never tuned at all i.e its so rich after i get it started that it dies when I give it throttle. I notice that there is oil everywhere, as if it is shooting out of somewhere (note: i did put an aftermarket cooling head on it, don't know if that's relevant). I'll attach some pictures... As you can see there is a thick coating of oil and grime covering everything. There is also oil in the chassis, on the receiver battery tray, etc.
Thanks for the help!

15618406064285792510193075912686.jpg
1561840649385544629914229270319.jpg
15618408807682444080706890196692.jpg
15618409169881570630698606993324.jpg

Did you not run it dry when you finished? It’ll do that if you don’t.

coming from the front end bearing, hear that is pretty common when they are running rich and cold, there is so much fuel/oil in the crankcase that has to go somewhere so it goes out of the front end bearing. once the engine warms up and is burning more of the oil, it is thicker and coats the bearings.
what i understand from what I've been told anyways, so far mine has not done it that bad, sometimes there is a little bit that comes from the front end bearing.
for break in do not run the tank dry, it will lean out the fuel mixture and get hotter than was intended for break in.
(unless you are doing the heat-cycling break in method). i recommend to always follow the manual, but I've ususally done the start rich and slowly lean out over a period of 4-6 tanks. also make sure the engine is cooling between tanks.

Bummer, I've been running it dry the throughout the entire process.... i think you're probably right, the oil is probably spewing out of the front bearing... i took it apart and cleaned it up, next time I run it ill pay close attention. thanks for replying!

i do agree once its broken in to run it dry, but for break in do not run it dry at the end of a tank.
Damn maybe that’s why I didn’t get too many gallons out of my nitros lol ??

I never noticed that much build up when breaking in, but I don't think I run mine as rich as some do during that period. Usually the first tank at factory settings, then I start leaning/driving gently from that point on and I rarely run less than 1000cc's through an engine during my first "break-in" period before calling it a day. So usually, by the time I'm done that first day, it's running better and responding to tune. I'm then relatively easy on them for the entire first gallon and somewhere along the line the temps/tune stabilize and they start putting out good power. Once that happens, I don't fear WOT for longer durations.

That's why you should not keep running an engine on break-in settings .that's a lot of pressure inside
a new engine that has a lot of compression with the combination of a lot of fuel ,it really hammers
every thing!

Back