When Glue(Adhesives) Are Not Enough

• Thread starter Penguin Fart Racing
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin Fart Racing

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
The example presented is the prop drive shaft repair on a boat. But, it is cogent where the broke. Parts are under lots of STRESS/STRAIN ( Young's Modulus- https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/teache...x#:~:text=The Young's modulus (E) is,ε = dl/l ). The whole topic of adhesives could take up volumes. Suffice to say that glue ONLY applied to broken parts exposed to extreme conditions is not vert effective. Begin with a strong first layer followed by a support layer then a final layer of adhesive. Attached PIX shows the flimsy prop drive shaft support that broke on my salvaged boat. First adhesive layer of EPOXY ensures a good gapless fit between broken parts. Then came a layer of SHOE GOO topped with a bit of maleble Copper sheet flashing which was screwed into place. Last later before painting is one of CA at all different component interfaces. I'll update with hull PIX after painting, and afain after I get STOOOOOPUD and hit a floating log while throwing up ROOSTER TAILS. Depending on the application and shear charactistucs of the materials used, this may or may not "work". Have yet to try this on a broken basher shock tower.

Attachments

• Resizer_16523859495365.jpg
    Resizer_16523859495365.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 26
  • Resizer_16523859332563.jpg
    Resizer_16523859332563.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Resizer_16523858949541.jpg
    Resizer_16523858949541.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 17
Back