Whelp boys- my username has never been more correct w/ this 4.6 bb

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mineverun09

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
okay first things first-
when i roll it forward- everything seems great, when i roll backwards its like stuff is grinding against eachother... i think its the tranny...

and the steering is garbage on my truck, I'm not sure if all 4.6's are like this or my steering servo needs to be upgraded... ?
I'm talking like i can't do a 180 turn if driving it up and down the road, from one gutter side it can't turn w/ot running practically into the other side gutter..

this is the first HPI truck i've owned. bought it used with all these issues..
i've owned a nitro rs4 though before if that means anything... loved it. :)

thanks guys!

Rolling forward disengages the OWB inside the trans, so your spinning the lower end of the trans and the diffs, axles. Rolling backwards engages the internal OWB causing it to spin the top shaft, spur and CB. Pull the engine out and roll it backwards. If it's inside the trans, you should still hear grinding. If not, then your mesh may have been too loose/tight. Take the bell off the engine and look at the clutch to make sure it's ok, then install and re-mesh the spur/cb properly and see what you have then.

Steering in general sucks in a savage. This isn't helped with a weak servo and not running a hump pack (6 volts with high current output) vs running 4 alkalines (6 volts, low current output) or 4 rechargeables (4.8 volts, high current) in the holder.

If you don't have a hump pack, get one. It may not fix the issue, but it gives you a better power source for when you install a better servo.

What kind of servo saver do you have? One that is part of the cam post or one that is mounted to the servo directly like this?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJK77&P=7

If so, get a proper solid servo horn for your servo and install the cam type:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJSS6&P=7

And use this spring instead of the one that comes with it:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXZP5&P=Z

Also, instead of bushings on the post, buy and use 4 6x10 bearings:
http://kickassrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=203_216&products_id=1391

If all that is already done, then your only option is to upgrade your servo to something with 150oz or more of torque. I really like the hitec 985MG. Quick, strong, sealed and not real expensive.

I'm gonna take it to work tomorrow and work on it tomorrow. like i said i just got this and it starts and runs its just not right.. i did my jato today, andthinking savage tomorrow :D thanks for the imput though.. i really do appreciate everything. :tup:

Olds is right on the money. Mine came with the HPI servo saver and I immediately put a HiTech metal gear high-torque steering servo in it and a hump pack. HUGE difference. Now it will turn on a dime (well, usually it traction rolls cause I'm going too fast, but you get the idea)...

The only thing I didn't do (yet) is the steering linkage bearings. That's planned for the next tear down...

HTH...
Mark

i think I'm just gonna sell it, i took the motor out today.... blown bearings for the clutch, all 3 shoes were beat.
even in this shape whats a roller 4.6 savage x worth? any ideas?

name a price lol i dont know if I'm aloud to though.. maybe we could pm tho?

ill pm ya

hey olds this,". If not, then your mesh may have been too loose/tight. Take the bell off the engine and look at the clutch to make sure it's ok, then install and re-mesh the spur/cb properly and see what you have then.
"
in your first response... it still did grind so its the diffs right?

Last edited:
i was thinking diffs.... i really wanna sell this one to hop up my jato a decent bit.. :D i got her cheap... one of the benefits of owning/operating a pawnshop :)

If it were me I would sell the Jato and fix up the Savy. I used to be a big time Traxxas fan but after I got my Savage all my Traxxas stuff went bye bye.

my goal was a sick jato and a monster truck.. it was exactly what i wanted but it just bums me out that when i got one, it was poop.. it sucks getting a RC then dumping more money into it when you didn't f$%^ it up in the first place ...

Yeah it does but that's the nature of this game. Still I wouldn't be so quick to give up on it. Sounds like all it needs is a set of diffs and a steering servo. I think if you do that and see what the Savage is capable of for yourself you will be glad you kept it if that's what you decide to do.

But it's not like you bought it BFN and had a chance to take care of it from the get go.

You said you got it cheap, so pop some diffs in it, a steering servo, a hump pack, and have some fun.

I got mine BFN (S-25) and it was the old two-gear diffs. I spent money right away upgrading to the four-gear diff, shimming them properly, adding the steering servo, servo saver, hump pack, and the 3-speed with reverse, and now I love the truck even more!

HTH...
Mark

yeah.. i just hate spending money :) hahaha

i know i know.. i've been playing with them for years.. and i know that you dont buy a hobby car you buy into a hobby car lol .

it just sucks so i just shrug and pay the man.

well i got the rear diff FIXED! and the motor, i ended up putting new shoes + bearings on that. cleaned it all up, will be put together tomorrow at work, and finally tested tomorrow :crossedFingers:

well bad news... i got it all back together.. fresh rotostart batt, and it cranks it over and over and over and over and over. but it never starts. nor does it even sound like it will start.. the plug is fine. the bat is fresh, it just wont crank over, HSN is at 3 1/2 out the idle gap is like 1-2 mm out. and the lsn is flush w/ the fitting.. i dnk its factory setting- but just wont crank. hellllp me paaaleaasee!

ANOTHER UPDATE- motor runs, I'm back to the steering problem :( I'm about to get the items olds said to try for the servo.. i have the shaft type servo saver already (btw.)

Back