What's with the cost of large scale tires.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeedoodle30

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
A set of R/C car-truck tires are more expensive than a set for my car. How come. Is the tire factory in some guys garage and he can only make so many a day and he doesn't work on weekends.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 4.05.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 4.05.37 PM.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 88
You play, you pay.... :p
Spendy hobby but beats the crap out of sitting on a bar stool...

Last edited:
I dropped 750$ on my 4x4 tires I've purchased 90 $(pr) rc tires so what am i missing?

I guess they figure if you're will to pay for a 1/5 scale car, you're willing to pay 1/5 the price for tires. ?

The cost of rc tires are pretty outrageous. there isn't much engineering in them, compared to a regular car tire. I can buy a tire for bicycle for the same price, and it requires more engineering and a heck of a lot more material as an RC tire.

The reason why? They will sell a million bike tires and only sell ten-thousand RC tire, as an example. It's all about selling in quantities.

They did seem pricey. I remember when I had my baja 5b and wanted different tires. Then again, I always ran take off/part out tires/wheels on my 1/8th and 1/10th trucks, so they were pretty cheap. Looking at a set of 1/8th MT proline tires now, your over $100 a set mounted, twice that for a pair of xmaxx sized. Imex tires used to be cheap. Duratrax are still fairly cheap.

my 4x4 is a full size truck I use as my daily driver..750 for dot tires with a mud rating...90 x 2 for 1/5 scale rc vehicle

I still don't like it, for that price, you should be able to reverse the tires and put the white walls on the outside. That's what I did in high school. We thought it was pretty cool. I don't know if it is still cool. Probably not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 6.04.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 6.04.53 PM.png
    499.9 KB · Views: 64
I still don't like it, for that price, you should be able to reverse the tires and put the white walls on the outside. That's what I did in high school. We thought it was pretty cool. I don't know if it is still cool. Probably not.
It's cool when it's a car like that.

Would look kind of dumb on mine...
2017-0307-2013Chrysler300CRight01.jpg

It hit me when i saw what some "look at my money built" RC projects and saw they paid more for the RC wheels than i did old school wheels for my vette.

I love my large scale junk but i think its a small nitch i dont think its hugh volume sales, a couple weeks back i tossed 2 like new looking hpi baja rear tires on CL at a good price and crickets and tumbleweeds, not even some cheesy lowball offers so i dont think they sell many large scale tires.