whats spur gear the best for savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i HAve a steel spur gear abd wanting to go back to platic shall i or not?

i like the steel gear as i havent had any problems with it at all. the plastic ones will melt under high temp. personaly i like the steel gear and will run one until it breaks something that it shouldnt. a steel gear and proper gear mesh will last the longest imo.

Unless you have a high powered upgrade motor, there should be no problem going back to plastic. If it's working ok, why change?

this is such a loaded question the plastic gear is ok for stock bell gears but if you have a hardend bell gear the stock spur WILL NOT last that is a short answer for a long question but it is to the point:cheers:

get a steel one now, if not you'll go threw tons of plastic ones. specially if you drive hard ;) and still end up buying a steel one. i liked the 52t for all-around..

If you set your mesh correctly and make sure that the bell is lined up square to the spur you shouldn't have a problem with a plastic gear unless the engine moves. I ran .28 engines with plastic spurs and had no issues.

With a steel spur gear you may not have a problem with that issue but it will create an issue down the line of your tranny system. The clutchbell will be your next problem. You should upgrade the CB with a hardend one. Ofna carries some good CB's

I prefer the plastic spur gears. With proper meshing you should have no issues of stripping it. BTW..i have a high powered mill in mine with no issues at all.

If you set your mesh correctly and make sure that the bell is lined up square to the spur you shouldn't have a problem with a plastic gear unless the engine moves. I ran .28 engines with plastic spurs and had no issues.

Dad gummmmm....you read my mind:yes:

the plastic gear is ok for stock bell gears but if you have a hardend bell gear the stock spur WILL NOT last

That's not correct. Steel spurs won't work with the stock bell. But a hardened bell will work with both steel and plastic spurs. All I run are hardened bells and all my spurs are plastic. I use OFNA hardened bells in my revo and my savage. Both of which run stock plastic spurs.

I have my original spur from my savage still. I ran 16+ gallons through it with a OFNA hardened bell. The only reason I swapped it out was due to the fact that I installed an SH28 and needed to gear it taller. The spur is still usable. It's worn, but usable.

RR 18t clutch bell, stock 47t plastic spur, mugen 3 shoe, OS .30, extended, gas tank in the front along with the hump pack and i have been on one spur for over a gallon and a half. Even being longer with more weight in the front the 30 will flip it over with no noticeable wear to the spur.

i say plastic all the way

i have rd nos on my savage and a supercharger and it
flys burns out tires tho lol:celb2: :jet:

should i get a steel spur gear for my 25 since i run it in sand most of the time. because i just changed the old one yesterday and ran it and i had perfect mesh but the sand chewed it up alittle

Back