What to cover my work bench with?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just built me a new 7 foot work bench made from 2x4's and plywood (pics to come soon). I kinda like the bare wood look now, but know once I start tearing apart stuff on it the grease, oil, etc is gonna wear off the new look very quickly.

What are some ideas to cover the work bench top to protect it and give it good looks, suggestions?

I would just do it on formica. Cheap, easy to replace, extremely easy clean up, and looks pretty decent with all the color/designs to choose from.

how about a piece of linoleum
i am sure you can find a scrap piece at a tile store

I agree with alpine, I have two benches, both are mica, easy to clean and pretty durable. One is actually made from an old kitchen counter top.

I like that formica idea for sure. I'll have to stop by lowes or home depot tomorrow and see if they carry it and in the size i need. The bench is 32" deep.

Thanks!

Thats one of the good parts about it, multiple pieces, with only a small line. Say you crack a piece of it, cut a square around the chip/cut/crack measure the cut, and cut a new piece and glue it in.

I gotta say, the thought of lexan w/ painted bottom sounds cool, may get the crap beat out of it though. Plus you can use the lexan glue to put some stickers/pictures under it too. I'm planning to build a bench to remount my reloading press and do all my other hobbies at so any final pics would be great since I'm still planning it.

I've got a 5 foot bench with a polypro top. Not the prettiest to look at but its an all purpose surface. You can spill paint/thinner, nitro fuel and its an easy cleanup. You can also use it to cut on as it will help you hold some pretty straight lines. Also easy to drill into if you want to creat bariers for a wrenching station to catch any loose screws.

I've been planning mine for some time and here's what I've been kicking around. I never considered lexan but would work perfect with what I was hoping to incorporate. I want to place large magnets for built in screw holders but was going to do it under carpet, but that makes it difficult to see where magnets are. Since I do alot of stuff at my bench, building a new one requires it to be multi-surface. Carpet for when I'm being gentle and raw wood (or maybe formica) when I'm being rough. But now with the possible addition of a thin piece of lexan that I will paint the underside white to give a high contrast are for working with small parts will be useful. Here's what I'm thinking.

th_bench.jpg

I gotta say, the thought of lexan w/ painted bottom sounds cool, may get the crap beat out of it though. Plus you can use the lexan glue to put some stickers/pictures under it too. I'm planning to build a bench to remount my reloading press and do all my other hobbies at so any final pics would be great since I'm still planning it.

At my old house i did this for working on atv motors i painted the underside blue with the yamaha logo in it, also used it to fill the gap between my top and bottom box of my tool box at work, if i think about it i will take a pic and post it but its nothing special just painted the underside black. It will get scratched up but makes for real easy cleanup of messes.

I used 1/2" lexan (it was free) but 3/8" would be good 1/4" may have to much flex. Never thought about magnets a couple old speakers would work sweet.

Last edited:
Absolutely Formica. You can cover that with 1/8" plexiglas cut to size in a good hardware store (storm door glass).
You now have a covered surface you can cut and slice on without damaging the Formica. When the plexi is thoroughly hacked up, just flip it over.

When you're trying to protect the project, like me, throw a fleece blanket on it.

The fleece sounds good, but Ralph, please don't tell usmwhat happened to the poor sheep before you took his fleece. Remember, children browse here. :)

LMAO. I haven't been with a farm animal is several weeks. I'm trying to give that up due to the rising cost of grain.
Anyway, I get the fleece blankets in the Grocery store. Not full bed sized, but they are made from recycled plastic bottles.
Incredibly soft and plush. I even give them to my dog to sleep on.

here a picture of my tool box with lexan added to fill the gap this piece is about twelve years old so its got some scratchs
IMG_0484.gif

I start with the unfinished plywood like most others. When it gets dirty I get a couple of sheets of the 4x8 recycled 1/8th inch plastic from Home Depot and cut it to fit. I use 90° plastic trim edge on the bench secured with screws to keep my screws from falling off and I just loosen the screws and slide the edge of the plastic under it then tighten the screws to secure it. 1 side of the plastic is smooth the other is dimpled slightly, depending on which surface you like, both clean up well with 409 or similar and is cheap to replace when needed.

i used brushed aluminum on my craftsman workbench, worked great, i put all my stickers on it and put about 10 coats of clear on it....turned out pretty nice, easy clean up too.

I work in a metal shop so i topped my bench with a big ol piece of 16 ga stainless steel!! Looks slick and impervious to oils, gas, cleaners ect.

I was going to go with formica, but ended up going with masonite instead. Masonite ended up being less then $10.00 for a 4x8 sheet is plenty tough easy to clean and the best part when it gets messed up I simply flip it over and it's new again or buy a new sheet.

Didn't turn out to terribly bad...
workbench.jpg

Back