Looking for Engine Suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Howdy all! Been awhile since I’ve been on the forums, but there may be one or two that remember me ;)!

I’ve been away from the hobby for awhile, but as we approach the New Year, a house empty of kids, a wife strongly suggesting I find something to do and a nice little project begging for some attention, hoping I can get some suggestions as I am sure technology has surpassed what I‘m used to working on.

Anyway, doing a rebuild/restoration of a vintage Kyosho USA-1 Nitro. This will be my second USA-1 rig, so luckily I still have the original manual, but would like to ask for suggestions on the engine.

This thing came with what I believe is, an older OS .21 RF-B. Started tearing it down, but this thing is beyond restorable. It had sat for so long gummed up I can’t even get the bearings out after soaking in cleaner, hitting with heat, etc. The carb is shot as well. Barely got the piston and sleeve out and the crankshaft is a hot mess.

So, seeing as I’ve been away from the hobby for awhile, asking for suggestions for a mid-range .21 nitro engine. I know OS is still out there and I dropped a Dynamite Big Red .28 into my Savage 4.6 a few years back, but curious if anyone has suggestions. More in learning mode at this point and not looking to drop a ton of cash as this will be a bashed.

Glad to be back, hope to contribute and reconnect with some other old farts and make some new friends as well!

I just wanna throw this out there, there's a KE25SP2 on eBay right now, (here) the stock engine for new USA-1's, with a 3-speed clutch bell assembly, for the same price as it normally costs without the extra bits.

It's not a .21, but you can't go wrong with Kyosho's own choice for the rig.

If you're going for maximum cost effectiveness, the SH M21-P3 is probably the cheapest performance big block out there, and it comes in 8-port flavors (marked -P8) if you want something fancier.

I just wanna throw this out there, there's a KE25SP2 on eBay right now, (here) the stock engine for new USA-1's, with a 3-speed clutch bell assembly, for the same price as it normally costs without the extra bits.

If you're going for maximum cost effectiveness, the SH M21-P3 is probably the cheapest performance big block out there, and it comes in 8-port flavors (marked -P8) if you want something fancier.
Many thanks for the suggestions! I may grab that Kyosho engine, though my truck ks an early ‘90’s version, so no need for that 3-speed clutch bell. Appreciate it!

Tudordewolf, do you have any experience with that SH M21-P3 or P8 power plant? Not familiar with that engine. Seeing good pricing for it, just curious if you or anyone has any experience with it. Thanks!

hey, curious on what your price range is
OS is still out there but is a bit expensive what I use is a dynamite mach 2 .21 engine. They're well built for the price. from my experience, the engines are tough if you take care of them. I would much rather spend 100 bucks on an engine that is reliable and powerful. instead of spending 400 altogether on an engine, I can spend 100

Last edited:
hey, curious on what your price range is
OS is still out there but is a bit expensive what I use is a dynamite mach 2 .21 engine. They're well built for the price. from my experience, the engines are tough if you take care of them. I would much rather spend 100 bucks on an engine that is reliable and powerful. instead of spending 400 altogether on an engine, I can spend 100
I’m looking in the $100.00-$150.00 range or so. I’d rather spend a little more upfront than going cheap and replacing it sooner than later.

Tudordewolf, do you have any experience with that SH M21-P3 or P8 power plant? Not familiar with that engine. Seeing good pricing for it, just curious if you or anyone has any experience with it. Thanks!

I don't have experience with that exact model, but I have good experience with the brand (the sh.07 and sh.18 are great), and they're generally considered reputable. I've been considering one for one of my builds.

There's a youtuber that does lots of informative and detailed videos on nitro engines, thebug404, who tears down an M28-P3 here, and has generally positive opinions about the SH Engine co. They're also the brand behind Dynamite, to the point that some of their engines have compatible sleeves, pistons, and connecting rods.

I've been reading good things about the Hobao Hyper engines for a budget choice. They make a .21 if you want to check them out HERE is a link. @cbaker65 bought one of their .28s and he loved it. Said it was a great budget engine. Not familiar with the USA-1 engine so make sure its got the right type of carb etc. LRP and SH make some good budget engines as well.

Howdy all! Been awhile since I’ve been on the forums, but there may be one or two that remember me ;)!

I’ve been away from the hobby for awhile, but as we approach the New Year, a house empty of kids, a wife strongly suggesting I find something to do and a nice little project begging for some attention, hoping I can get some suggestions as I am sure technology has surpassed what I‘m used to working on.

Anyway, doing a rebuild/restoration of a vintage Kyosho USA-1 Nitro. This will be my second USA-1 rig, so luckily I still have the original manual, but would like to ask for suggestions on the engine.

This thing came with what I believe is, an older OS .21 RF-B. Started tearing it down, but this thing is beyond restorable. It had sat for so long gummed up I can’t even get the bearings out after soaking in cleaner, hitting with heat, etc. The carb is shot as well. Barely got the piston and sleeve out and the crankshaft is a hot mess.

So, seeing as I’ve been away from the hobby for awhile, asking for suggestions for a mid-range .21 nitro engine. I know OS is still out there and I dropped a Dynamite Big Red .28 into my Savage 4.6 a few years back, but curious if anyone has suggestions. More in learning mode at this point and not looking to drop a ton of cash as this will be a bashed.

Glad to be back, hope to contribute and reconnect with some other old farts and make some new friends as well!

Heck yea I remember you an still enjoying that Mugen that you sold me I love it!..:thumbs-up::cool:

The only budget engine that I know is the Dynamite engines ,Trackstars & the Hobao engines ,
the reason I do Hobao is they been a reliable engine for years ,they cost a little more but well
worth it ,I have the old Ofna Hyper 21's & the new Hobao 21 ,they are the same but different
names ,I been wanting to buy the Hobao Hyper 30 for my MT but havent yet!

Good luck on what ever you choose an glad to see you back around!..:cool::thumbs-up:

Really appreciate the tips and suggestions! I'll share what I land on so others can glean from the experience. Starting a build thread in the monster trucks thread so folks can follow and offer suggestions.

Back