What is your cold start procedure?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnstalum

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a used 25 with a Mach. 26. It has always been a little tough to get started the first time. I just pulled the motor and sealed it, then reset the needle back to factory settings and installed a new McCoy MC8 plug. This afternoon i was planning to start tuning and could not get it to start. It started briefly for about 10 sec and then would not start again. If the LSN is too rich will it be more difficult to start? What is your starting procedure?

Sent from my Evo 4g powered by Android using Tapatalk

Stock settings are usually too rich for a broken in motor. Try leaning the LSN 1/8 turn at a time. Also be sure its getting fuel, if a engine seal isn't done properly it can make matters worse. To answer the original question, I plug exhaust for a few seconds while running the rotostart then release. Once it rumbles to life I let it idle for a couple minutes before messing with the throttle.

Is your glow ignitor charged fully? And use the trim knob to open the carb slightly above idle. It's best if you are on a stand since the engine will rev more once started and the wheels will spin.

I put new batteries (d-cell) in my glow ignitor and tested the glow plug (also new). Going to work on it a little tonight and tomorrow... I think it is way too rich since fuel is spitting from the exhaust and even leaking from the exhaust gasket between the header and pipe. I'm getting good fuel flow (disconnected the fuel line to confirm) so I probably need to be more patient and continuing to lean out the settings. My start process is: Prime (usually takes about 3-4 pulls > trim the throttle until the bellows just start to move > hookup glow ignitor and start. How long do you leave the glow ignitor on when starting cold?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I had problems like that also. I jut made sure my igniter was always charged and plugged my exhaust. I had the the drip out of my exhaust too, but i leaned out and now its good and staying at a good temp. Took a while to get it, but i got it.

Good to hear you had similar problems and got them sorted out Stro.

Good News: Got it started on the first pull tonight after work and got some tuning in. Starting to run better.

Bad News: My pull start broke... Arrgg. Rope does not retract, must be the spring? Back to the bench

Sent from my Evo 4g powered by Android using Tapatalk

My pull start broke too. I went and got a roto start ASAP. It always seems like something breaks on my truck when i can't get to the hobby shop.

Short, quick tugs on the rope, never pulling it all the way out.

definetly short quick pulls.. I still have the origional pull start on my classic tmaxx and it has the 3.3 on it instead of the 2.5 and it is still starting it everytime. knock on wood...

Got the pull start fixed...the end of the spring broke off. I bent a new end and wrestled with it to get it back together but it works great now. Finally got the truck running really good and sealing the motor seems to make a big difference... now I just need to fine tune.

What are your thoughts between roto-start and pull start for when this pull start finally needs to be replaced?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

It's really personal preference. The roto start requires extra stuff to carry around and an extra battery to keep charged,but I prefer it myself.

I am also a Roto start guy but if they are turned correctly the pull start is just fine. I have worn blisters on my hands starting one that was way off a tune before with pull start.

yeah I have ended up with a few bare nuckles from out of tune motor... I honestly ditched the roto start on my rs4 to pull start cause it seems easier than the roto start for me the starter is to bulky.. but like racer said it is personal prefrence.. all that can be said is if you want to try one out and see which you like better... good luck..

i use a blow dryer to heat the engine up it does the trick.

i have had the prob with my 4.6 fuel coming out of exaust i reckon it was to rich i hope

It's suppose to just spit out not alot if it is too rich it will bogg down at full throttle from start.