What 3d printer to use

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystang

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m thinking of investing in a 3d printer. Any input on what models I should look at or stay away from. Any options or stats I should look for when buying one. How hard is it to set up programs to print parts?

I’m thinking of investing in a 3d printer. Any input on what models I should look at or stay away from. Any options or stats I should look for when buying one. How hard is it to set up programs to print parts?
Ask WickedFrog he’s the 3D printer guy

Hi Jay. Welcome to the forum. Depending on how much volume you need, like if you're only going to print your average RC car part, I would suggest an Ender 3 V2. You do have to assemble it, but it's not bad. There are larger format printers, but as the size goes up, the price goes up. Anycubic has the Chiron, which is a large format printer, and is pretty cheap.

Are you mechanically inclined? Are you good with electronics? There will be times when dkills in these areas are needed, but for the most part, once you get them running all you need to do is make small adjustments to your slicer settings or print bed.

As far as programming them, first I would suggest you learn some basic 3d modeling. You can download a copy of Autodesk Fusion 360, which is free for hobbyists. Check out a guy named Lars Christensen on Youtube. He has some great beginner tutorials for it.

From there, you will need a slicer program like Cura (free) or Simplify 3d (paid). There are others, like Prusa has a slicer program, but I have never used anything besides Cura and Simplify.

If you need further assistance, shoot me a PM. I can also get you my phone number if you want to chat. I can talk you through the build, setup, and first print no problemo.

I keep telling myself to get a printer. I have so many ideas lol

WickedFog helped me get in to 3D printing. He knows his stuff. My first 3D printer was the Ender 3 v2. Its a great little printer, I'm still running it even though I have 8 other printers lol. I also have a couple of the Anycubic Chirons that he mentioned too. Id put after market hotends and extruders on them eventually but they are both capable of some really nice prints.

One thing that Ill say about 3d printing is that it can be frustrating to figure out sometimes, especially when you're new to it and you dont know why a print is failing. Just keep at it though, once things start to click in to place it will get easier but 3d printers can be finicky and its not terribly uncommon to have a printer thats printing really well and then all of a sudden, its not.

WickedFog helped me get in to 3D printing. He knows his stuff. My first 3D printer was the Ender 3 v2. Its a great little printer, I'm still running it even though I have 8 other printers lol. I also have a couple of the Anycubic Chirons that he mentioned too. Id put after market hotends and extruders on them eventually but they are both capable of some really nice prints.

One thing that Ill say about 3d printing is that it can be frustrating to figure out sometimes, especially when you're new to it and you dont know why a print is failing. Just keep at it though, once things start to click in to place it will get easier but 3d printers can be finicky and its not terribly uncommon to have a printer thats printing really well and then all of a sudden, its not.

Can be frustrating for sure. I've had a couple of times where it has been walk away or throw it away. I usually stay away from it from a couple of days, then go back to it and find something stupidly obvious I was missing.

As WickedFog said some mechanical and electrical skill is definitely going to make it a better experience, just be prepared for a learning curve.

On the plus side filament is really pretty cheap, the most frustrating thing about a print failure for me is it usually happens several hours into the print.

One suggestion I have is that if you are going to print when you aren't at home have a camera setup so you can check in on it and some way to kill it remotely in the event it goes nuts. I have an old phone running the Alfred app which makes it a surveillance camera and my printer is on a Google Home outlet. I've killed it a couple of times when I checked in and see that I had lost adhesion and started making spaghetti or another issue.

Octoprint has an addon called spaghetti detective that detects failed prints via webcam and stops the print.

One thing to think about is what parts you are going to be printing. Suspension and frame parts will take a lot more abuse than simple radio box prints and thus, will need to be made out of a more durable material like ABS or even more extreme, NylonX. You will need a higher temp printer to make parts with those materials.
I started with a Ender 3v2 and have since put together a Voron for the higher temp and physically bigger parts that wont fit in my Ender.
If you are going to print tough or bigger parts, you will need a high end printer.
I definitely recommend learning on a cheaper easier printer like an Ender but just realize it will not print anything you may want in the future.

Yes, one of these days/years... that NylonX stuff and me are going to collaborate. But, for now, the Ender 3v2 won me over with getting my feet wet in the 3D printing hobby. My E3v2 is going on three years now, and I'd recommend an Ender to anyone.
Latest print to fit larger handled tools...
IMG_20230118_070157526_HDR.jpg

Back