What’s in your RC Tool Box?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think pretty much everything has been mentioned here. But an uncommon item I have are metric form taps of various sizes. Form taps are great for RC when you have a threaded hold that has been buggered up. Form taps don't cut material away. They push material or "form" it into a thread. The create a much stronger thread.
I've got a few of M2-M5 taps but I've been meaning to buy a whole tap and die kit. Its on my list :)

I've got a few of M2-M5 taps but I've been meaning to buy a whole tap and die kit. Its on my list :)
Screenshot_20210705-135240_Chrome.jpg

The tap on the left is a regular cutting tap. The tap on the right is a forming tap. The cutting tap removes metal from the hole, the forming tap (also called roll taps) does not. The form taps are ideal in aluminum, stainless, mild steel, etc. They come in real handy for fixing holes 😉

View attachment 129123
The tap on the left is a regular cutting tap. The tap on the right is a forming tap. The cutting tap removes metal from the hole, the forming tap (also called roll taps) does not. The form taps are ideal in aluminum, stainless, mild steel, etc. They come in real handy for fixing holes 😉
Thats good to know. I didnt know roll taps existed. I have cutting taps. Which type is better for plastic though?
Definitely gonna look in to getting some of those when I buy a set

Thats good to know. I didnt know roll taps existed. I have cutting taps. Which type is better for plastic though?
Definitely gonna look in to getting some of those when I buy a set
The form taps are great for plastic. They require a bigger minor diameter than regular cutting taps though. The only bad thing is they are a bit pricey if you buy the good ones, because they are either cobalt or carbide. Not sure if they are sold in any sets. Always bought them individually for the job.

The form taps are great for plastic. They require a bigger minor diameter than regular cutting taps though. The only bad thing is they are a bit pricey if you buy the good ones, because they are either cobalt or carbide. Not sure if they are sold in any sets. Always bought them individually for the job.
Sorry not familiar with the term minor diameter.

If they dont sell em in sets then I'll buy a regular cutting set and for the main sizes I use in RC Ill buy a few individual roll taps.

So the diameter from rasied thread edge to raised thread edge then? As opposed to groove to groove...

This should explain it better.
images.png

So with every tap, there is a correct drill size. For form taps, you would drill with a larger drill than a cut tap would require. There is a formula for figuring the correct size drill for each tap, but it is just easier to get a drill/tap chart. This one is for standard cutting taps...
f62b6bc93db879f3514b726c5dfd0319.jpg

This next chart is for form taps, and you can vary the drill size according to how much thread you want in the hole. For plastics, I always used the 75% thread chart. For anything else, it will vary depending on material. The formula is at the bottom if you want to learn how these diameters are figured.
CatalogandPriceList-SEPT2005_Page_68.jpg

You can see the difference between the drill size for cut taps and form taps. Take the M3 x .5 for example. Cut tap drill size is .0984". For a 75% formed thread it is .1081".

Last edited:
View attachment 129123
Where'd you get them?

View attachment 129123
would the forming tap also be called a "thread chaser"?

would the forming tap also be called a "thread chaser"?
No. Those kinda do the same thing. Form taps will actually create threads in a drilled hole. Chasers would just lock up, and if in a mill they would likely snap. Thread chasers actualy have a pseudo cutting edge in them also. They will cut the buggered threads out, and straighten any slightly deformed threads. Form taps will just push things back into place.

I buy all my industrial tools from
www.mscdirect.com
or
www.mcmaster.com

Last edited:
This should explain it better.
View attachment 129137
So with every tap, there is a correct drill size. For form taps, you would drill with a larger drill than a cut tap would require. There is a formula for figuring the correct size drill for each tap, but it is just easier to get a drill/tap chart. This one is for standard cutting taps...
View attachment 129138

This next chart is for form taps, and you can vary the drill size according to how much thread you want in the hole. For plastics, I always used the 75% thread chart. For anything else, it will vary depending on material. The formula is at the bottom if you want to learn how these diameters are figured.
View attachment 129139

You can see the difference between the drill size for cut taps and form taps. Take the M3 x .5 for example. Cut tap drill size is .0984". For a 75% formed thread it is .1081".
Ahhhh ok, I had minor and major diameter backwards. This is really good info!