Went shooting for the very first time!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So yesterday I went to a local shooting range with my friend and his friend. I been wanting to go for awhile, and since I was 21, they needed me to go with them to rent the guns.

The place we went to was in downtown tacoma. It was pretty cool. You pay like $13 a lane and you can use any gun as long as it's in the same caliber. Since I don't know guns, my friends picked to use the 45's. We shot two different HK's, some other gun, and one glock.

The first gun we got, I think I shot the best with, but that's the one I don't know what kind it was, so don't ask...lol. The two HK's were pretty nice to shoot and i was pretty accurate with them. The glock I have mixxed feelings about. I wasn't even close to the target, but my grouping was all in one spot.

After each of us went through our box of 50 .45's, I didn't wanna go quite yet. So we got the 9mm AR-15 they had. We were shooting the handguns about 35-40ft away, and when we got the AR, we went all the way back to 50 ft. The sighting wasn't setup perfect, but it still seemed to shoot really well. Had a bit of trouble with it cuz i'm right handed and left eye dominant, so using the sight was a pain.

But yeah, I had a blast. I more went there cuz i'm afraid of guns and I thought it'd be a good way to get over that fear. I think it really worked. All today i've been thinking about getting a gun for a hobby. Too bad I can't get one until I move out from my parents house. There's no way my dad would allow that.

Also, I now understand why people are fascinated with guns. Doesn't seem so hillbilly to me anymore (yes i don't get our much ;))

I hope to go back sometime before new years. I want to try the 9mm's out and shoot at least 100 bullets next time. Maybe 200 if I don't burn out before then.

I carry a 9mm Glock 17 for my duty weapon. Its a great gun, 17 round mag (law enforcement/govt mag) it has night sights and an extended slide release. I find it to be very accurate, but the sights have to be dead on. Anything can send your rounds off target, even just squeezing the trigger too hard. The more you play with them the better you get.

When I first started shooting at the academy I was shooting clost to 1000 rounds per week! It was awsome!

Glad you had fun, but just remember those things are deadly and should be treated with extreme caution.

vbgagnon said:
Glad you had fun, but just remember those things are deadly and should be treated with extreme caution.

Yep, when I was there I was very aware of the gun at all time. It was never loaded until I had the target in position and was ready to actually shoot.

I know if I ever end up buying one, i'll probalby never have any bullets at home and only buy them when I get to the range. Also, i'd buy a lock box and trigger lock. And take a few safety classes as well as getting the gun registered.

by law here in california you have to buy a trigger lock plus you have to take classes to buy any pistol plus wait 15 days a rifle is much easier u just have 2 wait 10 days and no class

good, I'm glad you tried to conquer your fear of guns by confronting it. there are too many people out there who blindly fear guns and protest thier existence because of it.

I've been shooting since i was about 7 years old. i started with my dads old BB gun in the back yard. shooting poker chips was good practice. from there i moved on to 22's, shot guns, pistols, etc. i was on my HS's rifle team, thier top shooter for 2 years, and a county all-star. funny though, i havent shot in about 3 years. time to hit the range again.

enjoy the hobby if you decide to stay in it. BE SAFE. and take a few safety courses. shoot as many different guns as you can before you decide to purchase one. it really is a personal kind of feel. even individual guns of a specific model can feel different, though this is more common in competition grade firearms.

Well I won't be able to purchase a gun until I move out, which won't be for 2 or 3 years. So we'll have to see. I might see if there's any safety courses I could take right now since it wouldn't hurt. Maybe the state has a free program.

I'm definitely hoping to go back before new years...and we might actually go sometime next week after my friend gets back from vacationing.

Do you have to buy a trigger lock or do you have to use a trigger lock. Should be intresting when some crack head trys to crawl in someones window and the home owner has fumble around with a friggin key.... in the dark and half a sleep.... should be an intresting outcome.

sLY

I have been shooting since I was 7 or 8. Guns in my house were a normal part of life. Shooting a 45 for your first experieince is great, but the recoil can start some bad habbits, mostly flinching. Someone once told me shooting a rifle accurately is a bit of a science, but shooting a handgun accurately is a bit of an art. Everyones body moves around while you are aiming the gun, so the secret of accuracy with a handgun is to squeeze the trigger slowly rather than quickly. It is a common mistake to quickly pull the trigger because you will then close your eyes and flinch, or brace yourself against the recoil. This usually causes the shot to go low. You want to be looking over the sights with your eyes open while you slowly sqeeze the trigger. That way you are less sure when it will go off; so you know it was on target when it does go off. This is hard to do, especially with a big gun! You need good ear plugs and real shooting glasses, so you can relax and concentrate.

You don't have to worry about it if you just want to burn some powder. If you want to get good though, I think you should start with a semi auto 22 like a Ruger Mark 2 Target model. Then buy about 10,000 rounds of cheap solid point ammo and Practice!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=172&return=Y

Just be safe and have fun. My idea of fun is to turn pumpkin size rocks into pebbles with full metal jacket .308 rounds, and putting 5 bullets into one ragged hole at 100 yards with a .222 target rifle. You will also quickly realize that as a law abiding and responsible gun owner, you will not appreciate being held responsible for voilent crime, which is precisely why liberals don't want normal people to have guns. But that is a whole 'nother subject....

scottm is exactly right. if you want to get good practice with small arms. its WAY cheaper too. I've even used the exact pistol he's recommending and ill second it. its a really nice and balanced quality firearm.

msly said:
Do you have to buy a trigger lock or do you have to use a trigger lock. Should be intresting when some crack head trys to crawl in someones window and the home owner has fumble around with a friggin key.... in the dark and half a sleep.... should be an intresting outcome.

sLY
you dont have to use it but u have to buy one

scottm said:
You don't have to worry about it if you just want to burn some powder. If you want to get good though, I think you should start with a semi auto 22 like a Ruger Mark 2 Target model. Then buy about 10,000 rounds of cheap solid point ammo and Practice!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=172&return=Y

I have that same Ruger in stainless. I love that gun.... just dont try to field strip that puppy... I could not get the Biotch back together.... I had to have the gunsmith do it and he had a biotch of a time....

sLY

kwong2001 said:
Well I won't be able to purchase a gun until I move out, which won't be for 2 or 3 years. So we'll have to see. I might see if there's any safety courses I could take right now since it wouldn't hurt. Maybe the state has a free program.

I'm definitely hoping to go back before new years...and we might actually go sometime next week after my friend gets back from vacationing.

You still live at home? Shoot my parents booted me the day I turned 18. Must be nice.

HumboldtBlazer said:
You still live at home? Shoot my parents booted me the day I turned 18. Must be nice.

I live in an asian household...nuff said

HumboldtBlazer said:

Me too! Imagine all the toys you would have if you lived at home to mid 20's. Imagine all the "fun" you wouldn't have had if you had to go home to you parents house at night. I'll take the bills of being on my own thanks. :2cents: