Went Crawling at Dotons Point

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadk9420

Broke Down Driver
In Memoriam
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well today I ventured a whole hell of a lot further into Folsom Lake to finally find Dotons Point and let me tell you if you don't know where it is you will have a hell of a time finding it. I got lucky and ran across a guy at the very end of Dotons Point who just happened to know where it was that every one goes crawling. So any way after finally getting there I get about half way through my second battery which is actully quite a bit of crawling and I snap off the output shaft on the tranny going to the front wheel drive shaft, so I was like oh well time to go, and time to track down some parts, well it turns out that the only output shaft I can find happens to be a whole set of steel gears from RC4WD and let me tell you these things are beefy, the main gear with the output shaft is one solid chunk of steel that is machined into output shafts and gear all in one. any way here are the pics of todays events.

Another Crappy Video
[ame=http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/abadk9420/?action=view&current=dotonspoint1.flv]
th_dotonspoint1.jpg
[/ame]

a couple of pics of the rocks we were crawling on
P1040782Medium.jpg

P1040780Medium.jpg

P1040781Medium.jpg

P1040779Medium.jpg

Shots of the crawler
P1040785Medium.jpg

P1040776Medium.jpg

P1040778Medium.jpg

P1040774Medium.jpg

P1040773Medium.jpg

P1040786Medium.jpg

P1040772Medium.jpg

and the repacemnt of the output shafts and gears with all steel ones from RC4WD
Front drive shaft hanging down after the output shaft broke
P1040789Medium.jpg

P1040790Medium.jpg

P1040794Medium.jpg

P1040795Medium.jpg

The old gears
P1040796Medium.jpg

The new gears are the lower set
P1040797Medium.jpg

P1040802Medium.jpg

P1040803Medium.jpg

P1040804Medium.jpg

new gears in the tranny
P1040806Medium.jpg

P1040807Medium.jpg

I also found out about a mod from one of the guys out crawling today so I thought I would give it a try here are few pic of my fist attempt at it
P1040808Medium.jpg

Not much holding on the out put shaft as you can see here it is a very poor design
P1040809Medium.jpg

The output shaft is drilled out and in my case I sacraficed a piece of a drill bit that was close in size to what the original output shaft was it is then cross drilled and a cross pin is put in to hold the new output shaft piece in place, when this is placed in the tranny the bearing will hold the cross pin in place keeping it all in place but for added safety a put a small amount of ca on both pieces
P1040809Medium.jpg

P1040811Medium.jpg

P1040812Medium.jpg

the some what finised product
P1040814Medium.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a very fun place to go crawling. I really like the 8th picture down of your truck. Ya didn't happen to get any video, did ya?
Breaking parts when you are way out at a fun place really sucks. It's happened to me several times with my nitro monster trucks.

great pics Curtis looks like a very fun spot to crawl.....hope those outputs work for ya, i lost count of how many stock axials i broke and i also broke two DNA outdrives aswell lol....

man i wish they had places like this around here

u didnt get any pictures of my old cralwer?

man i wish they had places like this around here

u didnt get any pictures of my old cralwer?

No pics of your old crawler, I was just like wow I know the guy you got that from, those blue shocks gave it away.:D

great pics Curtis looks like a very fun spot to crawl.....hope those outputs work for ya, i lost count of how many stock axials i broke and i also broke two DNA outdrives aswell lol....

Ya I sure hope it holds up better to, I don't see breaking out drives being a problem in the future but you never know.:D

Last edited:
Those pictures are great....I need to find some good rocks

Thanks they would have been better but the camera was on the wrong setting, I also added a video....

the vid is great too Curtis!!!! definatly a great spot to crawl, i really miss the rocks :(

the vid is great too Curtis!!!! definatly a great spot to crawl, i really miss the rocks :(

Slow your suffering from SCW = Servere Crawling Withdraw:D:hehe:

Looks like a great day!

It was until I broke the front tranny output shaft:angry:, but I still had good time.:D

Nice work, Curtis! You sure went on one hell of a learning curve journey since you got that rig.

Thanks, What can I say, I have some realy good teachers here on the froum:D:first_place: and a few other places, I ask questions and do alot of searching around.

you couldnt be any more correct Curtis lol....I NEED the snow to melt now...

I watched your video. You did a pretty good job doing the driving and filming thing at the same time. This is in California, right? It probably won't be long before the environmental nuts out there start trying to ban r/c rock crawling to save the rocks . lol

LMAO, no doubt durwank, i can see it happening.

I watched your video. You did a pretty good job doing the driving and filming thing at the same time. This is in California, right? It probably won't be long before the environmental nuts out there start trying to ban r/c rock crawling to save the rocks . lol

Yes it is Califonia at Folsom Lake, I'd just crawl all over there ficking Prius's LOL!!!!:hehe:

LMAO, no doubt durwank, i can see it happening.

They will never stop me from crawling, muhhaahahahahahahah!!!! LOL!!!:D

stay strong Curtis!!! lol.