Well Built Cummins 12v

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 12v's are a great engine to build for sure. I am partial to the powerstroke though, 7.3 on up to the 6.7's. But the 12v cummins is sweet for how simple it is. My dad has a 72 2wd chevy that has been sitting for a long time and a guy wants to buy the engine out of it, would make it a perfect rig to drop a 12v into.

I trashed your pointless thread dissing the 6.0 powerstroke. Yes its had more trouble than any other of the diesels out BUT once you understand exactly what those problems are, get them fixed and build up from there, they are an insanely cool engine. All of the diesels out are the same, they all can make power and lots of it, but all of to have things upgraded the more you try to get big power out of them.

I can talk diesels all day, and all of them, even tractors :hehe:

Last edited:
deff partial to the Powerstroke's.

LOL me too, I work for ATS Diesel! And to tell you the truth I wouldnt mind a 6.0 or a 97 7.3. Why did you get rid of the duramax thread thats the best one?

I didnt, its merged into here.

If ford could only change up their game and hit the mileage numbers that the newer cummins and the dmax's can, they would walk away with the sales imo. The 2011's are so damn nice, they are finally getting the "luxery" ride/interior like the chevy's have had for a while. Dodges fall apart easy as a truck imo, but the engines have always been sound and makes serious power easily. I prefer the sound of the ford and the duramax's though anyday.

People talk a lot of sh&* bout the 6.0, but i LOVE mine. No a fan of the new powerstrokes though. All that emission urea injection crap.....

I prefer the sound of the ford and the duramax's though anyday.

because the turbo on the ford is MUCH larger.

Yeah, the 6.0 striat piped sounds the best IMO, Then the duramax sounds amazing too, now the cummins sound boring. But I have never felt anything stronger better deisgined then the 6.6 duramax, I really like the lly and the lbz!

I bought a 2002 Dmax in 2005 with 74000 miles on it. Drove it with a mild tune for about 24000 miles then had the transmission built and ran a hot tune everyday for another 40000 when I traded it in in 2008 i think it was. Engine was all factory, no injectors, no turbo nothing...

Never had a minutes problem with except for a blown stock turbo which was my fault (5 gear burnout and it was the allison auto :) ) i replaced with another stock turbo.

Best pass ever was a 13.10 @ 102 with a 1.8 60 foot (spinning all 4). That was on BFG AT's at full street pressure (55 psi)

Couple Vids
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sELfkKLcQyo"]YouTube - Teds Truck[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dweEmjk_9dc&feature=related"]YouTube - Teds Diesel at East Coast Truckin Nationals[/ame]

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y210NRGehlI"]YouTube - Duramax VS Z06[/ame]

This is how it's done.

Yeah when i had my truck i was always on the forum that that guy is on. Theres a lot faster than that out there now. Street trucks in the 9's. The point of my post was to show what a tune and a transmission will do. I know my truck was high 12's capable just never had the traction to do it. With an aftermarket turbo it would have been where that one was. Black smoke is unburned fuel so as you can see i needed quite a bit more air :)

My freinds dad has an 06 lbz that has a suncoast trans, With twin turbo's and A very well Tuned EFI LIVE, along with injectiors and fass fuel pump, Billet flec plate, head studs and fire rings. By far the fastest truck i have ever ridin in.

But since i own a 96 12v cummins I might get close to keeping up but will never beat him, inless i have 60,000 to drop on a fully custom motor which I'm not going to do lol.

Yeah when i had my truck i was always on the forum that that guy is on. Theres a lot faster than that out there now. Street trucks in the 9's. The point of my post was to show what a tune and a transmission will do. I know my truck was high 12's capable just never had the traction to do it. With an aftermarket turbo it would have been where that one was. Black smoke is unburned fuel so as you can see i needed quite a bit more air :)

Actually, blue smoke is unburned fuel. Black means it's running rich, which is what you want when there's no water injection system to keep it from popping.

With diesel at $4.30 here, I avoid any black smoke I can lol.

Burning white smoke could be possible headgasket thats blowin, which could inturn ruin ur motor. thats a 5,000 + fix if you dont get it checked out. And with me I'm going to have to buy diesel anyways so why the hell not have it roal coal. And with it being an old cummins and its all machanical, their isnt really away around having it blow black, not much you can do.

Rollin coal is sick, I love it, one of the most entertaining things I do for my self lol, but luckily I can keep mine from doing it by going back to stock settings, which is slow and boring but I'm broke and can't afford to fill up any sooner than necessary.

Modern diesels are sick!! I'd love to have one, and be able to embarass the pimply faced kids is Mustangs and Camaros, with the bikes in the back and all. I'm partial to Chevy's, but I have to say we ran Powerstrokes for years in all our work trucks, and I've seen those things take way more abuse than they should ever stand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-QT8-JAF0&feature=related"]YouTube - 1000hp Dmax Launch 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdhbJm_K6v4"]YouTube - Duramax burnout[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cKxRylrDc&feature=related"]YouTube - LMM BURNOUT[/ame]

Yeah This is why i will never own a car, Inless its an old muscle car!

You must not have seen the diesel powered '69 Camaro, then.

Back