Welcome to my life (article)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Day one

You awaken to your kids talking about riding their Christmas gift, a 50cc motorcycle. You take a drink of water and pop out of bed, First thing first. Head to the bathroom. as you stand in the mirror you admire yourself, not bad for a 33 yr old man, thin, trim, muscular, clear blue eyes and a smile on your face. Today is going to be a good day.

You play with your mini-electric as you wait for the kids to get dressed warm. After they are ready you toss the suplies and the motorcycle in the back of the rodeo like it's a gallon of milk. Nice and easy. A short drive to the mountains and you spend the day in front of a fire watching the kids blast through the knee deep snow constantly laying over the bike and wiping the snow from their faces. Once in a while you get the urge to hop on and show them how a real man rides the bike..they watch and admire knowing they will learn and hoping to grow up something like their old man one day.

After a short drive home you open the door to a nice warm house, the smell of fresh bread and dinner cooking, your wife with a beautifull smile on her face happy you are home safe. You sit down with the family to a good meal, and spend the rest of the evening on RCNT and watching the tube. A perfect end to a perfect day.

Day Two
You slowly awaken to an empty bed and an empty house noticing the clock at 1:15. Looking around to get your bearings wondering where the family has gone. You reach to the right and grab the glass of water from the night before it slips through your fingers as if your hands were part ghost. You didn't have a chance for a save, because you couldn't feel the glass slipping through your numb fingers.

Well, first things first. You sit upright, and immediately feel a rush of heat and a blinding sharp pain as your legs straighten. Your knees are literaly the size of a small honeydew. Grrph. You take your right arm, and grab your sweat pants at the cuff keeping your leg straight, you use your arm to swing your leg over the side of the bed. Your left leg comes easily as most of your weight is already off the bed. You straighten your legs and lock them in anticipatioin of the pain, you use your arms to lift your upper body, never using your knees or legs for support. As the weight bares on your knees they start to buckle, but like most days you bare down and start to walk as if your legs were stilts or steel rods with no knees.

You walk to the bathroom and look in the mirror your sunken in eyes reveal the lack of sleep from the night before. You can't stand without support so you lean forward both arms straight against the wall to hold yourself up. After you've finished you go to the cabinet for your medications.. you wonder how can the human body survive so many medications without your blood becoming toxic. You laugh at the thought of a mosquito biting your arm and dropping to it's death from all the medications. One more glance in the mirror before the return voyage, you aren't happy with what you see, a milk white shell of a man, sunken in eyes, and muscle that looks more atrophied than chiseled. Disgusted with yourself you turn and walk away.

As you reach the computer desk you pause hrmm bed, or computer? a serious decision that will decide your fate for the day...it's too much at the moment so you surrender to the drowsieness of the medication. You head to bed. As you drift off to sleep you hope when you awake the medication will help ease the stiffness perhaps you will be able to sit at the computer when you wake up.

Tired, but pain settled down to a dull throb, and feeling a little less stiff you repeat the process from the morning. Straighten your legs, grab your cuffs, and swing your legs off the bed. You make it to the computer chair and set yourself down. On the way down you notice that your arms are so strong you can hold your legs horizontal off the ground and lift yourself up and down with your hands on the arms of your chair, not bad for an old man you think. You do however wish you could feel the tips of your fingers hitting the keys. The feeling of touch is something you have lost long ago. As hard as you try you cannot remember the feeling of your hands running down the side of your own face.

The kids arrive home form school, and stand in line for hug, knowing you can't get up to greet them they are happy to come to you. They know the routine, one grabs a soda, another goes to the fridge for a sandwich, and your oldest goes to get your medicne bag. Even though they know you can't go sled or start the bike for them they ask anyways sure of the answer by the look in my eyes.

Your hands are beginning hurt again, you can't feel your finger tips, and start dropping things first apencil, then the phone, the last straw, you drop your soda making a huge mess. It's time for bed at 3:30.

Watching TV you dream of being able to do the things you are watching unfold on the screen. You drift off dreaming of the summer, and snorkeling swimming for you is like being a soul with no body attached, absolute freedom from gravity, and pain.

Your wife brings you dinner in bed,a highlight of the day having three kids she's been tending to them while your alone in the room. Enough you get up walk to the restroom, check on the kids you have to do something you sit on the couch and enjoy some sitcoms befoere heading to bed.

As you reach the door you look in with disgust you realize your bedroom is your prison, and life is the sentence. You despise your bed any the many days and weeks your trapped without chains.You drift off to sleep.

Day three
You awake with a start, the kids are about ready to leave for school, the wife all bundled up ready to drive them, coffee in hand. A feeling of urgency overwhelms you, you yell for your wife "can you please get my meds for me, and help me out of bed." If she leaves before getting your meds, you will be trapped for another hour or so. Even though your wife is happy to help, you feel as if you have just asked her to do your taxes the guilt is overwhelming.

Having your meds will determine whether roll in bed all day, or maybe make it to the computer for some intellectual stimulation. Without the computer you are sure you mind would rot and you would go crazy in weeks.

Day four
This day unfolds just as the past two. You start to notice your wife not smiling as much she's avoiding the bedroom as much as you wish you could. the kids now are not hoping you will go out with them today, they are instead dreading the monotonous grind of go fetch and fetch again.

You start to day dream of times past working hard in the open air bringing home a check and feeling completely satisfied. Wishing you had enough grip to drink grab a drink of your soda. Praying you will wake up to find it was all a dream.

You're a shell your wife is tired, your kids are beginning to dislike you not for who you are, but for the lack of being able to father them. Desperate, your children start to misbehave hoping you will have the mobility to punish them no matter how severe as long as you are able to interact with them physically.

Day Five
You awake to a start, grab a drink and put on your glasses. You slip off the bed like an athlete. You run to the door as quickly as possible hoping to catch your wife not for your meds, but this time for a kiss goodbye.

As your wife pulls out of the driveway you begin to start breakfast, it would be nice for her to have a break. Your medication, pain and agony all gone as if it never happened. As quickly as it came it has gone lying dormant like a snake. It will awaken it will return, but for now you're free.

Welcome to Rheumatoid Arthritis
Welcome to my life.

I am not a sad man, nor did I write this for pity. I am a happy confident man today thankful that I have a good wife and family to support me. I enjoy my life, and never wish to be someone I am not. If could do this all over again I would do it in a heartbeat.

When you see a healthy young man park in front of the door don't immediately assume he's lazy. When you se a young lady that's short in a hurry and has a scowl on her face don't automatically assume she's a winch perhaps she's sick. Perhaps she's caring for someone who is.

Be thankful for what you have, and cherish those in your life who support you.The man in the Lexus next to you, with the beautiful blonde just might not be as lucky as you think.

Life is life, and everyone has their problems. Whether your life is pathetic depressed and unhappy, or it's perfect is up to you. It's you who you decide. It's you that makes your life pleasant or painful not your circumstance.

For those of you who suffer from a debilitating disease that affects your ability to function as a human, you are not alone.

--Mason

Last edited:
wow...that was a long one. well worth it too. you made some really good points about things that most would never think about twice.

All I can say is... WOW... Words fail me at the moment, but reading this will defenately have an effect on my life & how I live it.. Your a good man Mason...

Mason,

Good, Good Friend of mine you are, I'm sorry to hear about this. I read the whole thing and it seems like a vicious process. I might have told you but Diver knows my moms situation. Its only her and I and I take care of her. She has a terrible hip and a minor off beat heart, (afib) I Constently worry about my mom, She is young and so am I. But i look up to the good lord for comfort and to assure me that everything will go ok if I have the faith and keep my head up with positive thoughts. My mom cannot walk far at all, Nor sometimes even stand up long to fix her something to eat in the kitchen. I Do know a little bit of were you are coming from. I love my mom and I know she will pull through and get much better. I hope your condition will get better also. I'm glad you posted this because most people really need to stop complaining about simple things and think about how much worse things could be. Stay strong and If you ever need anything, You know where to find me.

Colton

Your absolutely right. Most of us take things in life for granted. Sorry about the condition and with this thread I'm sure will open some people's eyes.

I felt sad that I had no shoes till I net a man with no legs.
I have know about your heath issues for a while now and believe your a much better man then I. I bitch and complain for the simple fact I have to get out of bed in the morning. I have a feeling if I had to deal with the issues of people not quite as lucky as I am I would be a bitter person.

Keep on keeping on!

WOW! I am at a loss for words. I am sorry to hear this, but I think your attitude about it is absolutely outstanding! Your post really made me look at my own life, family, kids, to be thankful for what I do have.

Thank you Mason.

Thanks for posting that. An excellent read, and a good reason for some of us to stop complaining about the occasional problems we all have. The thought of dealing with it daily is not something I could even imagine. When a migraine buries me for 3 days, or my back locks up, at least I know there are better days coming soon.

Damn... your post reminded me of my day... except we don't have any kids and I'm not near to the extent of you. Give it 10 years...

Arthritis sucks in any form, be it dehibilitating or not. Just knowing bending my knees and hands is a chore is a constant reminder of how bad off others who have it worse are.

Maybe we should get together and talk about all the stuff we "used" to be able to do?

Mason, I can literally feel your pain. I am probably one of the few that can empathize with you. I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, I have Gout. Almost the same thing but the pain is definitely there! Our ages are almost the same ... I'm 34.

I can go to bed feeling fine, wake up in the morning and I'm bed bound for at least a week, hobbling around the house for at least a week once I can get the nerve and strength to support myself with crutches.

My wife has to take care of me when I get an attack, I can barely make it to the bathroom. I wind up crawling. She has to cook and make sure everything is within arms reach. Sometimes the pain is so bad, she has to give me a bed bath ... I know your pain and frustrations.

-Jeremy

Mason my friend the words that I whould like to say to you about your debilitating disease. Are better left to talk about in person when we meet up.
I how ever whould like to say.
That you are truly A stand up man and not lacking any thing that any one of us are. You have a wife that loves you and childern that look up to you.
You are A man and A dam good one no matter what condition your body is in.

We will get togher. OH and you very much function as a human

ZANDOR

I thank you all for the kind replies. As I sat and wrote this I hadn't thought about who might read it, or how they might feel.

It was only once I had finished typing and read it that I figured somone else might.

I try to think that if a man born wealthy raised wealthy and privelaged were to awaken to an empty wallet his pain might be as great as mine.

I've always said that this was a cruel diasease as it gives you life for a day, maybe a week, then returns to suck it back out of you.

Maybe it's actually a kind diasease because when it does dissapear you never hesitate, you enjoy every moment possible and never look back to yesterday only to the futre.

Thanks again for reading, knowing it's being heard is just as theraputic as writing it.

That's what makes RCNT such a great place. You're amongst friends who care.
You're part of the family and I wish you the best, lykan.

One big family! I'm always here for all of you.

I was at a loss for words when I got to the end.

Lykan, you are an inspiration.

lykan, I've never interacted with you on this board before, but I feel compelled to say something. You sound like a good person. It's a shame when fate waves it's cruel hand over those that don't deserve it.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the illness and for giving me a better appriciation of my health and my families health.

I've paused in writing a reply to all your messages because no matter what I say, words can not describe the feelings behind your posts.

One stance would go all mushy and I don't neccasarily feel that way. Any othe stance would make me feel arrogant.

All I can say is that places like these are rare wether it be in cyberspace, or next door. Now I know why I hold them all very close. Each one of you in this comunity are a part of my support just as my family friends.

I did however forget to mention my dogs as part of my supprt group. My jack rrussel digs under my covers lays silent and keeps me company when I am alone for hours in my room.
My Border collie fetchs inside the house being carefull not to knock anything over she gives me physical activity when I can't get out of bed.

My japanese chin is about 12 inches long, and provides so much comic relief it's incredible. He'll stalk me as if I was his prey he snores louder than my wife, and ounces like a kitten.

I know it sounds odd, but somedays they really keep me going and keep my head pointed straight forward instead of down.

Back