Weak links.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Could you more experienced RC'ers post ideas on the best weak links to include when building up a Maxx? I am in the process of rebuilding a used truck I got and want to make it tough, but not so "tough" it actually becomes weak.

Check out that thread on here titled " what should be Aluminum" or something like that. It's got stuff listed to replace for a Maxx.

Ray

Last edited:
The weakest points i have found would be the bulkheads and shock towers. I really didnt do much with it in stock form, but i found those were weak.

Stick with plastic steering knuckles (RPM is the best), RPM arms, stock shock towers and aluminum bulks. Also, get RCS spring steel skids.

That setup will allow the parts that "need" to flex on impact to flex, but it can still handle a lot of punishment before something breaks.

RPM makes some nice shock towers for the maxx. Also, their steering knuckles have larger bearings in them.

I didn't care much for the towers. It was ok on the front, but on the rear, during a bad landing, the tower would bend so much that it would crush the header and fuel tank.

Just food for thought.

olds97_lss said:
I didn't care much for the towers. It was ok on the front, but on the rear, during a bad landing, the tower would bend so much that it would crush the header and fuel tank.

Just food for thought.

Unless you are using 4 buggy shocks!!! Yeah, i noticed the same thing when i had the 2.5 and the 8 shocks....

And I don't know if you know this but RPM has the lifetime guarentee so if you break something, they replace it for free

Badfish said:
And I don't know if you know this but RPM has the lifetime guarentee so if you break something, they replace it for free

yeah, that's a great guarantee! Comes in handy during the cold months when the plastic becomes brittle from the low temps. They have no problem replacing them from that cause.

thats cool i just sent in 2 arms off my maxx recently for replacement
another decent hop is RPM bulkhead braces ,fronts are alot longer and are solid which in turn makes then alot stronger for front impacts

olds i will keep that in mind i may swap rear RPM tower out now i never gave that a thought
thank you

oh and 1 more thing ,if you upgrade the motor look into stronger axles like cvd's or something other then the stock sliders they twist rather easily with higher output motors

Badfish said:

Well it did cost me .88 to ship a brokenone to them ;)

X2 on going with the RPM axle carriers.

Back