We all talk about the bits that break....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordz

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
but what parts of your sav do you think are invincible no matter how hard you bash them?

Just curious =)

I dunno I've been hitting mine pretty hard the last few days its been a brute. the control arms are either rubber or extremely strong, it got ran over by a truck (litterally a truck like a mid 90s chevy) and didnt break a dad gum thing lickily. i love it. only thing i broke was a spur gear and a slipper clutch becaus ei set it wrong.

a few things that are original and bullet proof on my truck are the shock mounts (bulkheads), the uprights, clutch shoes I find are very reliable, still have my originals on and they show very little wear, also the suspension arms (lower) they are unreal! only one has pulled through the pin since new 2 years ago.
This truck has had a very rough life so far from constant flipping over, landing on RF or LF wheels to jumping over school buses. She has stood up very well. In fact I e-mailed HPI last year to tell them what an amazing product they have.

good topic

The only parts I never "broke" on the savage were the cam steering bell cranks, arms, skid plates, shock towers, c-hub things (that held the axle carriers) and the threaded aluminum shaft that holds the bulkheads together.

Every thing else, bent broke or stripped at one point in it's life. I have to say though, it was very durable. Mine was an old school 21 savage core. Bought it as a roller.

Never had the stock engine.

The trans even held together for 20+ gallons of use. The only thing that gave me fits was the olds school two speed that had a single pin. That was during gallon #2. I replaced the gear and put two pins in (as was the suggested "mod" of the era) and it lasted until I got rid of it. Never had the trans open again.

The TVP's even held up. I did a bit of grinding to fit an engine in and drilled a few extra holes for stuff. I did finally tweak them though. Jumped off of a 20 foot tall dirt pile at a refinery... it jumped further than I had anticipated and missed the downslope of the side of the pile. Ended up doing a direct lawn dart on the front end into a concrete slab... that one cost me the tweaked tvp's, engine plate, engine mount, spur, aluminum bars that hold the engine plate...

Sorry... kind of rambled...

shock towers and thats about it.
i think the only reason they still hold up is because i have a pair of alloys i want to put in but i only replace parts when the originals have broken.
I've gotta add my savage is a 21 with almost no 21 parts on it.
mutantsavvy lol

I got a savage 21 with a k4.6 and have replaced parts as needed still have original bulkheads,towers,bumpers,skidplates.....my truck has been well used and has done many huge jumps and landed very badly.99% of the time this thing will drive away like nothing happened.These things are the toughest hands down.:bow:

on the weekend i destroyed an upright and exploded a stock tyre... two things i didn't think i'd break! was screaming at top speed and the tyre BLEW UP... just shredded... unbeleivable

stock spur gear upper a arm and engine mount. i cracked my engine plate 2 but it still works i just have 2 lock tight on it like every other week.

Last edited:
Back