want to dye my wheels?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Has anyone tried to dye there wheels with the tire mounted. Will it mess up the tires? I'm not worried about coloring the tires, because I'm dying the rims black anyway.

They say you don't have to boil the water, it just has to be hot.

anyone tried this?

Duh! just had a brain fart! It would probably f-up the foam, right?

I just dyed 2 sets of wheels without tired....just simmering water in a big pot. Took @ 30 min to get the color I wanted. Foams might break down a bit, but the tires *should* be OK to get wet and warm.

Got an old wheel you can try it on first? Might be worth a try.

I just did 2 sets using RIT dye (http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso). I did one set red, which took @ 25 min, and the other set Black which I let sit for probably 1 hour to get all the hints or purple out.

Works great ;-)

One other problem, the boiling water will crystallize the tire glue. It willl take forever for the foams to dry, plus the foams might fall apart during the boiling.

No need to boil to dye them....just keep it warm ;-) Foams will be your biggest problem area I think though. They may survive....they may not. You are probably better off removing the tires, dying the wheels...and tossing the tires back on, but same problem I suppose....if you boil the wheels to remove the glue you may or may not ruin the foams.

You think if I dip just the face of the wheel and tire in the dye, it would keep the water out of the foam? Because the the holes that I drilled in the wheel are in the middle.

Back