want to dye my wheels?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Has anyone tried to dye there wheels with the tire mounted. Will it mess up the tires? I'm not worried about coloring the tires, because I'm dying the rims black anyway.

They say you don't have to boil the water, it just has to be hot.

anyone tried this?

No i've never tried it with the tires on but i wouldn't think it would affect the tires at all, just might have a longer drying time than without the tire and foam. I just boil the water in a big pot then pour it into a 5 gal bucket, add rit dye then the parts

Unless you have closed cell foams inside it will ruin your foams. If you do have closed cell foams then it wont hurt it but it make take some time/work to get the dye out of the tires. Generally its not a great idea even with closed cells but tis doable. if you have regular foam you'll destroy em dont do it.

Unless you have closed cell foams inside it will ruin your foams. If you do have closed cell foams then it wont hurt it but it make take some time/work to get the dye out of the tires. Generally its not a great idea even with closed cells but tis doable. if you have regular foam you'll destroy em dont do it.

Why would water ruin the foam inserts?? Its never affected my tires while driving it around in water... Granted it's not the same as being submerged in near boiling water but i wouldn't think that 220 degree water would be enough to ruin the foams, but like i said i've never tried it. I always just take the tires off..

Last edited:
would i be able to dye my silver bumper on my tmaxx

i would recomend RIT dye and you have to boil the water

Why would water ruin the foam inserts?? Its never affected my tires while driving it around in water... Granted it's not the same as being submerged in near boiling water but i wouldn't think that 220 degree water would be enough to ruin the foams, but like i said i've never tried it. I always just take the tires off..
Watch this video about open cell foams vs closed cell foams and water damage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNTBetJYBM"]Water VS Foams. How water destroys them and why Closed Cells ROCK! : ProLine Minute w/ Squirrel #27 - YouTube[/ame]

I can give a couple more tips along these lines. I just recently discovered that you dont want to dye your rims with the tires on them even if you have closed cell foams. i just recently did this to a set of onroad GRP belted tires and the heat either changed the properties of the rubber or it weakened the glue holding them on because I shredded one just a couple days after doing this and was only going about 40-50 MPH when it happened.

You can dye Jaco foams without hurting the foam compound or at least I havent had any problem with mine since doing it. I just did it on a lower than normal heat setting. I'll post if I find I have issues with them at some point. Given what happened with the GRPs though I am now somewhat hesitant to trust them. That blown tire cost me more than I liked even though it wasn't really that bad of a wreck.

Last edited:
Well i have now successfully PAINTED two sets of wheels and ran several tanks of fuel through my revo including a five tank breakin of a new engine and 3 tanks additional on both sets of wheels off road heavy bashing and not a scratch or flake off of the paint on either set. The first set i used krylon fusion flat black and the set i bashed on for 2 hrs today i used a damn can of walmart flat black that cost $0.96 a can and it is holding up just as good. I can't believe it myself but it is holding up very well. I did them all wheels mounted!

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:38 PM ----------

Just sanded with a red scotchbrite pad the best i could and cleaned them very well with dish liquid and water then preped with alcohol and sprayed 3 even coats and bolted em back on the truck and took it out to play.

Back