very little compression after pull start fix

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam1985

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi,

i have a kyosho drx fiesta s2000 nitro car.

i went to start it today after about 2 months of it sitting there and the pull start jammed, i took the pull start off and fixed it and put everythink back the way it was. now it wont turn the engine over, its like there is very little compression. there is something there but not enough to turn it over?

I've stripped part of the engine to see if theres anything obvious but all seems fine also the one way bearing is clean and on the right way?

not sure what to do :\

thanks sam

is it real easy to pull? sure sounds like the OWB to me.

Did you put the OWB back in the correct direction? If not it will not turn the engine over at all. I clean them with DA or rubbing alcohol and put a small piece of paper towl in there to run the bearings around then lube with 3-1 oil or WD-40.

hi yes its really easy to pull? but i can even turn the engine over with my fingers using the fly wheel? and the OWB only goes on 1 way?

Maybe try taking the glow plug out, inspecting, then putting it back in.

tried that, seems fine. really seems like its not catching on the crankshaft

can i just clarify the OWB,
i took off the pull start and you have a shaft with a round thing on it, the is a hole in the shaft where i tiny metal bar goes through and the round thing goes on the and connects to the metal bar. this is the only thing i can thing of. that only goes 1 way.

So maybe the owb is slipping on the shaft instead of gripping the shaft. Did you clean it like Joey said?

Any idea of the brand/model # of the engine? Would be easier to help with a parts explosion to show you or for you to explain to us.

the OWB can't slipp on the shaft because its acually connected to a tiny metal bar to actually turn engine over? its a kyosho gxr 18.
I've been through the engine manual parts list and there is no mension of a OWB?

Its either the OWB, or you didnt get the pullstart put back together correctly, I'm with joey,If you can't turn the engine by hand it obviously has compression, so something isnt right at your pullstart.

Ok you have an internal OWB then. Strange for a small block engine. For a quick temp fix Pull the air filter and the glow plug and give a short blast of WD40 an hold the car where the light oil can soak down into the bearing. While you are doing that you can run the fly wheel around to get it worked in. That normally works for me anyway.

Weird, I thought that was only a big block thing. I'd say after sitting a while your owb is slipping.

I have never seen the internal OWB on a small block either. But I have not seen all engines so.... But that is how I fix my BB engines when they start slipping a little

That engine has a weird pull-start mechanism. I'm not 100% sure it does have a OWB.

2013-0115-kyoshoGXR18-explosion.jpg

I've looked at the parts on google and I can't wrap my head around how that works... It appears that the electric start version has a OWB.

The pull-start version has some weird parts that I can't figure out how they lock and unlock to turn the engine over but release once it starts.

EDIT:
Figured it out... what an odd setup. Has to be more reliable than a typical OWB though. Surprised Kyosho is the only one like that. The little cup thing has a cut in it that starts on one end of the cup and rotates around and up to the other end. When the engine isn't running and you pull the starter, the pin catches on a flat spot in that little cup, then when it starts, the crankshaft pin actually spins and hits the little t-bar on the back side so that the starter shaft screws itself into the cup and gets the T bar far enough away from the crank pin to not make contact when the engine is running.

Knowing that, do you have all the parts in place as pictured? You didn't forget that little pin in the starter shaft did you? If so, the pin is what makes the shaft catch on the starter spool. Without it, the pullstart does nothing.

Last edited:
Hi, yes I have all parts picured and the right way also have the pin that attaches to the shaft, when I pull the pull start it does work right as the pistons etc work, it's like there is hardly any compression, I can turn the flywheel with my fingers but it does get slightly tighter but is fairly easy to turn! Really can't think what else it could be

Oh it's a Kyosho.... I missed that the first time. Yes sorry I can't be much help on this one. I have torn that kind down before and they are a PITA. It is just like the pullstart on a gasser or a lawnmower. It therory it should be better. I found they did not work so well.

if you turn over with flywheel and not much resistance at tdc try carefully and using a good allen wrench tighten the cooling head and also check to see if you have a glow plug gasket and or make sure the glow plug is tight.if still the same then worn out.