using locktite on my revo 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguywithbigtruck

RC Newbie
Reaction score
OK so i bought a revo 2.5 from my dad's work friend who ran it head on into his car tire, the front end was all smashed, chasis bent, and it had sat in storage for a few years. Bought it for $70. Fixed up the front, everything is working except the engine. Took it into NorCal Hobby, my local shop, and the owner Eric felt around and told me that i need a new piston and sleeve, shelled out $60 for that, hoping it would fix it. Watched lots of youtube, read lots of forums and finally took the engine apart. Everything went smoothly, except the block on the back of the engine that the motor attaches to has some stripped screw-holes. I have tried using longer screws and filling the space with washers, but then the motor doesn't fit snug and wont work. I was thinking about using some loctite Red 272 to coat the screws and fit them in there. Will this work? and what if it does work and i can't get the screws out next time? This is my first nitro RC car thanks for the help!!

OK so i bought a revo 2.5 from my dad's work friend who ran it head on into his car tire, the front end was all smashed, chasis bent, and it had sat in storage for a few years. Bought it for $70. Fixed up the front, everything is working except the engine. Took it into NorCal Hobby, my local shop, and the owner Eric felt around and told me that i need a new piston and sleeve, shelled out $60 for that, hoping it would fix it. Watched lots of youtube, read lots of forums and finally took the engine apart. Everything went smoothly, except the block on the back of the engine that the motor attaches to has some stripped screw-holes. I have tried using longer screws and filling the space with washers, but then the motor doesn't fit snug and wont work. I was thinking about using some loctite Red 272 to coat the screws and fit them in there. Will this work? and what if it does work and i can't get the screws out next time? This is my first nitro RC car thanks for the help!!

You are getting a worn out engine from a simple wreck?....

If you can post pics, please do. Red locktite will NOT fix this problem. Until you get some pics up and get some solid advice (which I will try to provide) please stop trying to stick things in there and adding chemical compounds etc... These things will only work to worsen the situation.

Welcome to RCNT! :welcome_sign:

If you can post pics, please do. Red locktite will NOT fix this problem. Until you get some pics up and get some solid advice (which I will try to provide) please stop trying to stick things in there and adding chemical compounds etc... These things will only work to worsen the situation.

Welcome to RCNT! :welcome_sign:
i can't get a good angle for pics but the screw holes are stripped in the engine block. Why won't red loctite thread locker work?

Red,locktite isn't going to add any solid material to the hole for the screws to actually grab. That's where you need to start. If you have NOT pulled the engine out, in order to repair this properly, you will need to do so

Red,locktite isn't going to add any solid material to the hole for the screws to actually grab. That's where you need to start. If you have NOT pulled the engine out, in order to repair this properly, you will need to do so
The engine is off the car, taken apart right now.

You'll need to tap the screw holes again. LocTite won't work without metal to hold on to.

i can't get a good angle for pics but the screw holes are stripped in the engine block. Why won't red loctite thread locker work?
The engine is off the car, taken apart right now.

There is some other screws that have a different thread you might can use!

Over the years of messing with RC's ,I found that there is different threaded screws ,perhaps metric & standard ,an
I've actually re threaded them with one of the other to fix a stripped thread ,you might can find the right screws to do that!..:cool:

Yes, I would like to see some pics and see what the best route to take is. There is the possibility of drilling and tapping as it sits (which I prefer to trying to add material) as well as using different screws and then, yes, using jbweld to try and save what is left...

Glad you've got it apart... Please post pics. Some larger overall snaps as well as some close up of what is damaged.

There is some other screws that have a different thread you might can use!

Over the years of messing with RC's ,I found that there is different threaded screws ,perhaps metric & standard ,an
I've actually re threaded them with one of the other to fix a stripped thread ,you might can find the right screws to do that!..:cool:
already tried that

Yes, I would like to see some pics and see what the best route to take is. There is the possibility of drilling and tapping as it sits (which I prefer to trying to add material) as well as using different screws and then, yes, using jbweld to try and save what is left...

Glad you've got it apart... Please post pics. Some larger overall snaps as well as some close up of what is damaged.
i will tommorrow when i've got some time to take it out. The threads don't seem to be too damaged

My opinion.. red locktite should only be used if you are never ever going to have to remove the bolt again. I would take the red lock tite and put it somewhere far away from anything rc related.

options in order i would try...
1. Tap out the hole with same size or next size up and see if that works. It likely will.
2. Helicoil it if you can find one the appropriate size.
3. Ebay has new crankcases or used engines for 40-50 bucks.

The times i have "good ol boy" fixed things with duct tape, jb weld, crossthreading a different pitch bolt into a hole etc etc. Have had a 70% success rate on the short term. But they never last as long as if i would have did it right the first time. It usually costs me more time and $ in the long run too.

This SHOULD be made clear... The only RIGHT way to fix this problem is to replace the block. These repairs may or may not work and they may hold up for some time, they may fail quickly. This is certainly a temporary measure.
I would like to see some pics so I have an idea of what I'm trying to fix from so many miles away. I don't want to tell you to try things that can not be done or may be extremely difficult etc... I will wait to see the pics and will go from there. I will be on and off the forum throughout the weekend. Hopefully I will be able to catch you so that we can have discussion instead of leaving messages...
If you would rather go with someone else's ideas, by all means go ahead. I will take no offense nor do I claim my ideas to be better or worse than others. Whatever you decide to do, due to the nature of your repair, you will need to start and finish with one person's ideas. I recommend you hear a few people out, from start to finish, before you make that decision. Again, just so we are clear here, the correct way to fix this issue is most definitely to replace the damaged parts with new ones. Unfortunately, because of the vibration that the engine produces combined with the force the engine puts on these screws, this will likely shorten the length of the effectiveness of this 'fix'. I will say tho, I have used jb weld with great success in the past so I am thinking this is not a waste of time. From what I have heard so far, I am thinking jb weld will be how we will repair this damage.

Lol...a new block is cheap ,an easy to be had!
I was going to sugest that! .....Doh...:first_place:

OR JUST REPLACE THE F>>>N ENGINE!.....:p

Lol! As I have been caught, or caught myself a few times letting my assumptions get ahead of me, I thought it best to at least make sure that this point be brought to light as clearly as possible! ;)

Lol...a new block is cheap ,an easy to be had!
I was going to sugest that! .....Doh...:first_place:

OR JUST REPLACE THE F>>>N ENGINE!.....:p
its not the block thats stripped its the engine

The block is a part of the engine. Its pretty much the largest part of the engine. From the descriptions you have given so far, it sounds very much like it's the block that has been damaged

I should throw this in as well... I know that traxxas offers an exchange program with their engines. So if the rest of it is tired, you get a 100% fresh engine from traxxas. Last I heard the 3.3 was $110.00 + core engine. Just another option to consider.
I haven't priced out the block but I imagine it is in fact a cheaper part in the list as it's not a high demand item. Its not like sleeves, pistons, rods, bearings... All the "wear" items.

Last edited:
Back