USA-1 Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i went and met my uncle today to get the truck from him. i've already taken pictures but there's something funny with the camera so i'll get them up a little later. this thing's tires are huge. the engine, an O.S. 21, doesn't have a pullstart. its says you need a starter to put up to the flywheel to get it started? is there a pullstart i can buy for it? this thing is old. anywho, i'll come back later with pics and more info.

by starter i think it means starter box, its a box with a rubber flywheel which turns over the engine flywheel. You could probably buy a pull-start but its far eassier to use a starter box or roto-start

Actually, the old school nitro rigs like the vanning, presto, USA-1 and others, showed in the instructions that you needed to use a hand held starter like the ones used to turn the props on RC planes. You installed a rubber wheel to the starter and held it to the flywheel to get it started.

Remember, he is not building a modern nitro rig. The kit is like 15-20 years old and so is the mill.

Actually, the old school nitro rigs like the vanning, presto, USA-1 and others, showed in the instructions that you needed to use a hand held starter like the ones used to turn the props on RC planes. You installed a rubber wheel to the starter and held it to the flywheel to get it started.

Remember, he is not building a modern nitro rig. The kit is like 15-20 years old and so is the mill.

Yup! I've built two of the USA-1's and the manual shows a handheld starter just as RobMob mentions.

That being sad, GRG, you can (and I suggest you do) get a starter box to start this thing, reason being, because the of chassis design, the pullstart housing will literally be right up against the rear shock towers and it'll be tight to get in there and pull the starter cord.

Another tip as you're building. It is CRITICAL that you set the mesh correctly on the counter gear and spur gear! Those gears are getting harder and harder to find and if they are not set correctly, they will strip very quickly and with little warning. I also suggest a strong servo for the steering. Like you said, those tires are big and it'll take a good bit of torque to get them turned.

Geez, now I want to get mine out and clean it up!

thanks for the advice..I'm really starting to dislike putting metal screws in plastic parts. it says i need a rear gear box cover? i can't find anything like the one thats in the picture. monkey, you think you could help me figure out where this thing would be?

It's a little, clear plastic cover that outlines the shape of the crown gear on the diff. Unless your Uncle tore the bags open, it should be there.

he never opened a single bag, and i found it when i was cleaning up for the night. i was like "know wonder i couldn't fint it! its clear!"

Glad to hear it! Remember, don't rush the build. Kyosho makes great stuff, but their manuals can be a bit vague at times. If you get confused, come on here and post the question.

PICS. We need PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs.

USA-1As-Is10-27-061.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-062.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-063.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-064.jpg

USA-1As-Is10-27-065.jpg

Oh, did you mean pictures of HIS build? :stick:

That will do for now.

grr, my step dad wont show me how to do the upload of the pics, he said tomorrow, so i guess you'll have to wait until then. nope, i dont know how, theres something funny with this camera that isnt common

i didnt even see that...

Well, now you've gone and done it! I think I'll be getting it down this weekend and doing some tinkering on it! Darn you, GRG! Darn you all to hell!

One other tid bit for ya. The throttle/brake linkage on this thing is a PITA! In my opinion, not the best of designs. I think I'm going to try putting an Ofna linkage on it. If I can figure something out, I'll post some pictures.

If you are having problems putting metal screws into the plastic, you can put a drop or two of CA into the plastic hole before putting the screw in. That'll help hold the screw in place.

Glad you like the pictures, RobMob! Want me to send you some of me in a man-thong?

well, since this is my uncle's truck, i'll leave him to decide all the mods. what i meant by the metal screw in the plastic is that the plastic parts that have holes, but arent really threaded are the biggest pain to get in. its the the shock end, the loop at the bottom of the shaft. it was such a pain to get that in. and part of the suspension linkage too. takes forever. i'm starting to think he's gonna win the bet of me not being able to build this by easter

Well, now you've gone and done it! I think I'll be getting it down this weekend and doing some tinkering on it! Darn you, GRG! Darn you all to hell!

One other tid bit for ya. The throttle/brake linkage on this thing is a PITA! In my opinion, not the best of designs. I think I'm going to try putting an Ofna linkage on it. If I can figure something out, I'll post some pictures.

If you are having problems putting metal screws into the plastic, you can put a drop or two of CA into the plastic hole before putting the screw in. That'll help hold the screw in place.

Glad you like the pictures, RobMob! Want me to send you some of me in a man-thong?

Nice rig Monkey man! I have never actually seen a USA1 other than the box once. I can remember when that thing was "New" technology! LOL

.... but please..... please... no man thong pics! For the love of all that is sacred... no man thongs.

GRG... have fun, and enjoy the build... you have a rare oportunity to build a legend in the RC world.... as if it were brand new off the shelf. Just think... that kit has never been touched since it was created.... pretty sweet.

Tom

well, last night i couldnt go to sleep so i decided to see if i could unlock the engine. all i did was take the head off and the pison moved so easily. as soon as i put the head back on, its stopped. it stops at the top of the sleeve. the head comes down into the sleeve a little and doesn't allow the pistion to make a full loop. whats wrong with this

Is the glow plug installed when this happens?

nope. i looked at it again and its that the sleeve is really really tight at the top. its not that head is touching it

here are the pics

well, now i have some pics, not too many, but its what i have to far.

here's the truck's box
USA-1_Build_001.jpg

these bags are full of everything that was in the box along with the tires and body
USA-1_Build_002.jpg

these are the giant little tires
USA-1_Build_003.jpg

this is the engine my uncle bought 9 years ago.. its old and the top of the sleeve is too tight for the piston it seems
USA-1_Build_004.jpg

these shocks are about the only thing i have built so far. they took long enough..
USA-1_Build_005.jpg

well, i'm open to any comments or advice and i'll be back later probobly with more pictures

ok, if you guys want pics you have to tell me what do do because nothing i try works. just stupid red x's

Last edited by a moderator:
Back