Upgrading old computers...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all u computer wizards...I have a old Compaq Persario in my room now, and I just put a second memory card in it, and a new DVD Rom and a D-Link port for my internet which runs off a router...but how can i make the graphics faster, i.e.->Smoother graphics and smoother animations? I want the computer to be fast enough to play my old and fun simple game (Starcraft) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I havnt been much of a gamer for some time now, but I still have a great graphics card(Nvidia G-force I think!) in my pc and it runs the few games I do play,although they can be very pricey, and there are so many to choose from. A good card may be all you need, here is a link to a few good ones, dont let the price scare you off! Good luck!

http://www.dealtime.com/xPP-Graphics_Cards

I just got a new video card and boy did that make a huge differance! It wasn't to bad in price either. I think I paid like $60 for it. Well worth it. Ill see if I can find the packaging and let you know exactly what it was.

If it's a Presario, it's probably only a 533 and not a pentium. That's a problem with some games. CPU isn't fast enough. Check the system requirements on your games. You can always replace the mother board with a faster processor, but by then you're only using the case.

if your computer is more then 3 years old. easier to just buy a new one

i just want it to be "normal" right now its slow for like typing, and browsing websites (even with my 256k cable connection) because it processes so slow, would a new processor run my programs like new?

All the speed in the processor is on the mother board. That and the memory chips.
You probably don't need a major hard drive if it's for limited use such as gaming.
I'm sure you now have a 533. Good in it's day, but REAL slow by today's standards and most good games won't run very well in it, if they will run at all.
Look on Ebay for a mother board with at least 1.7 Gig speed. Compaq MIGHT be brand specific, but I don't recall. By that, I mean not all boards are compatible, and it might require a board made by Compaq.

Will i lose all memory if i change the motherboard?

you will not loose your memory if you change the mother board. you can simply pop out the ram and put it in your new board. if by memory you mean hard drive the answer is still no. your drive will be fine, just plug it into the new mobo. if you plan on buying a new mother board there are things to keep in mind, you will probably have to buy a new processor because older chips wont fit in new boards. you also have to make sure your computer can handle a new board. the standard form factor is atx if your computer uses a at mobo than the new board will not fit (nor will the power supply connect). you also have to decide between pentium and amd. as they are not interchange able. in fact pentium has different style chips wich reqire different mobos. as long as you buy new tech hardware, compatibility shouldnt be an issue. theres a lot more to say so if your not scared off yet let me know and ill help with your upgrade the best i can. oh one more thing. althoug the ins and outs of hardware isnt too rough the maintenence and troubleshooting is. unless you have some one to guide you through the bios setup and any problems you encounter you may want to rethink the upgrade. unless you like a challenge and dont mind pageing through windows books.

You can get a new graphics card that would make it alot better! O ya i usetoo love that game starcraft. Do you stiff have the game case to the expansion with the cd code lol i lost mine and i can't play it any more...

What is the model of the Presario?

Example: Compaq Presario 5000

The memory chips might be different. There's also SDR and DDR. It's all in how they fit in the slots. Check the chips you have and just make sure you can use the same ones in the new board.
I bought a case with a 1.7 CPU motherboard and a floppy drive, new, on Ebay for $157. I added memory chips, hard drive and CD burner. It came with the OS on disk. It's been flawless for over a year now, and I've had major problems with 2 other computers that were over $1000 each.

Compaq Presario 7470 is my old one. That's the 533.

Okay thanks, I'm gonna check up on a new motherboard and processor combination. I feel that that may be too much because i jsut want an average computer. Thanks for the help rolex, and all the others. And Texas, I dont have the cd key sorry bro, u can sell those things on ebay for like 10 bucks i believe, but if I had one id give it to ya so I could whoop u down on Starcraft.

if you buy an averge set up than you will have an average cpu.

... i want my shytty a$$ comp to be regular. thats all...

if you can find out all the "tech specs" of your current hardware ill point you in the right direction.