Upgrading Diff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phins Fan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I had to replace the rear diff today as I completely toasted all the gears. While they are cheap enough to not really worry about I am curious if someone can point me to a more bulletproof suggestion over the stock diffs? I know people used to make 1/8 diffs and fit them to a maxx but curious what else could be considered as an upgrade over stock thats still available on the market today. 2.5 Maxx with an OS CV-R. Otherwise pretty stock and severly beaten!!:)

Haha I did the same thing to 2 trucks yesterday what I'm attempting is using an e maxx brushless diff centre as they have been beefed up to take more power and they are fluid filled also
Are you chewing out the crownwheel and pinion or the plastic cup where the spider gears are

Put the e maxx diff kit in your truck, I installed them and have no problem even after 2 gallons of fuel with my .32 the diffs are fine.

Putting the brushless emaxx diffs doesn't work as I still run a 2.5 chassis and the brushless emaxx diffs will not allow the pins to line up with the cvd's unless you run a 3.3 according to a few guys on ebay selling them

Yes you are right, the emaxx pinion gears are not the same as the 2.5 you would need to change the cvd's

All you have to do is swap the input pinions for the center cvd's and grind a little off the end of the yoke for the wheel cvd's and the emaxx diff can be made to work on any model tmaxx.
Its the only 10th scale diff I will now run in my Tmaxx rigs.

FLM hybrid bulks w/ 1/8th diff...The output will work with 2.5 as its 5mm shaft.

I bought a couple of 4907 diffs and bought the nessary part to make it to brushless specs part# 3978 and 5382x I tried to ebay the complete diff but they were over $40 versus $10 for the 4907 diff and another $19 for the other 2 parts

Somebody used to make an aluminum diff cup for the TMaxx. Can't remember who made it though..

---------- Post added at 9:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:06 PM ----------

I think it was Maximizer but it looks like they do not make it anymore.

Fastlane Machine does though.

http://www.fastlanemachine.us/proddetail.php?prod=flm51000&cat=23

FLM does and it has modified gears but you have to make sure you get the correct one as they made two version with the same part #.

Integy makes them and despite there parts being crap, on non load bearing parts such as that you shouldn't have an issue. RD Logics and I believe Hot Racing are ones you can still find. GPM, UE and theres on other I can't think of. The aluminum cup wont help you not blow your ring gear and pinion tho. The outer case will as that's what flex's.

Here are some for the 2.5:
GPM - http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MAXX-2-5-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6644c5c5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MAXX-2-5-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6644c6dd

I bought a couple of 4907 diffs and bought the necessary part to make it to brushless specs part# 3978 and 5382x I tried to eBay the complete diff but they were over $40 versus $10 for the 4907 diff and another $19 for the other 2 parts

I may be a liar but I believe that the Revo and T-maxx guts are interchangeable.

The 5309 is brushless/3.3 spec and they are on eBay all day long for .99 cents as well as T-maxx 3.3 diffs which are Revo spec.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=5309+diff&_sacat=0&_odkw=hot+racing+t-maxx+diff+case&_osacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=t-maxx+diff&_sacat=0&_odkw=5309+diff&_osacat=0

Now I'm not positive on this but I don't believe 3.3 diffs will work with the 2.5 because of size difference. Although I imagine if you wanted you could buy 3.3 bulkheads and just slap them on the 2.5, which would allow you to upgrade your diffs.

All in all if the 2.5 and 3.3 bulkheads are interchangeable and you have some cash to spend then pick up the FLM Ultimate Hybrid bulk. You can find them at dealers for $70-80 a piece.

Now if you wanted to go all out then you can get THIS KIT and the FLM hybrids and that would be a setup you could upgrade further down the road if you wanted...All in all the T-maxx is a money hog (well all R/C can be, but the T-maxx is way up there). I know the links I put are all ebay but thats just about the only place you can find parts like these now a days.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
sorry for cutting in. but the t-maxx and revo diff look different, at least the outer case. the internals I'm not sure if they will change over or not.

also what is the different between the e-revo diff and the stock revo diff? i know there stronger, but why? are the 5309 diffs the same with the e-revo and revo or are they still diff?

sorry for cutting in. but the t-maxx and revo diff look different, at least the outer case. the internals I'm not sure if they will change over or not.

also what is the different between the e-revo diff and the stock revo diff? i know there stronger, but why? are the 5309 diffs the same with the e-revo and revo or are they still diff?

One of my old local hobby shops told me that the insides of the t-maxx and revo 3.3 diffs where interchangeable that it was just the case that was different. Now I don't know how correct he was on that, the ring gear and pinions for them have different part numbers. There isn't really an e-revo and stock revo diff. There is nitro and electric, everything before the 3.3 revo is different and as far as I know everything since the 3.3 revo is the same. I believe the only difference in the diff numbers are the actual models. There are newer and older models with the same part numbers (I.E 5310, 5308, 5309) each version has something different about the setup of the revo (I.E shorter/longer chassis, different servos, hexes etc).

All in all the 5309 diffs should be the same Revo spec diffs that where beefed up and sealed to handle the power of the 3.3 engine. Aswell as the same Revo spec diffs that were added to the T-maxx.

The emaxx internal diff parts will fit in the tmaxx 2.5 case, emaxx diff has a lot more parts in it versus the tmaxx, I have installed the emaxx diff kits into my tmaxx and they hold up very well. You can get all the emaxx diff parts an eBay or just find the complete diff and take it apart and reinstall in your case, I found the complete diff NEW on eBay for 20$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-TRAXXAS-3...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2920ba07.

With a small amount of modifying this will work just fine..

Last edited:
the 4907 diff are the ones i bought for $10.49 a piece which are the same as the revo diff inside
however if you want to but a brushless diff they are about $40 for the ones i looked at on ebay so that is why i did the way i did
the 4907 and revo diff are very similar to the older maxx diff with the exception of being oil filled

---------- Post added at 8:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:16 PM ----------

and i couldnt find any brushless diffs to ship to australia

I turned and milled my diff carriers out of stainless. Way strong. The stock gears are another story...

Back