upgrade or not?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luno

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a team associated sc10 4x4 belt drive, came with a ae 1200 brushless esc and a reedy 550 3500kv motor, i was gifted spektrum firma 85a esc and 3300kv motor, would this be an upgrade? more torque or faster? or should i leave it alone?

Thanks for any info
Luno

The 3300kv motor will be slightly slower than the 3500kv motor. The AE esc is 120amp and the spectrum is 85amp. I would leave the spectrum system alone but keep it as a back up just in case. I think more the kv the more faster you have and the less kv is more torque. It might be the other way around.

The 3300kv motor will be slightly slower than the 3500kv motor. The AE esc is 120amp and the spectrum is 85amp. I would leave the spectrum system alone but keep it as a back up just in case. I think more the kv the more faster you have and the less kv is more torque. It might be the other way around.
That makes sense, the 1200 and reedy are 10 years old so guess its a good idea to have a backup, thanks for the info

Np. The kv with more torque or the faster might be the other way around. (It's Sunday morning I can't remember) welcome to RCT too.

:welcome_sign:

You might notice a slight increase in performance with the upgrade you are considering. Due primarily to an improvement in efficiency over the 10-year old Reedy package you now have.

Where the advantage lies is that with the Spektrum upgrade you have the option of going to a 3S battery. That will really wake that package up. If, of course, that is an option and if a 3S battery will fit your chassis. Something to think about anyway.

By the way, getting ready to do a similar 'upgrade' by replacing a HW 80A ESC and 10.5T sensored with the same Spektrum system you were gifted. Anticipating losing RPM, but "hopefully" gaining in torque. What I am really gaining is the option of going from a 2S only package to a 2S with 3S option package.

Cheers. 'AC'

Dont go 3cell with that belt drive(dont know were that came in Oh forgot its from the replier ) id keep setup thats in there less kv is more Torque . more kv is faster ..

Dont go 3cell with that belt drive(dont know were that came in Oh forgot its from the replier ) id keep setup thats in there less kv is more Torque . more kv is faster ..
Hmm. . .good point on the 3S application for belt drive. Something I didn't consider in my recommendation. 'AC'

Yep I wouldn't try 3s for belt drive. The belt might slip and tear up the belt. l had seen a person do a belt drive conversion on a Xmaxx 8s. It wasn't worth it. Belt kept slipping off the pulley.

thanks for the info, you guys helped me make up my mind, I dont think a 3s would even fit, 2s is tight,