Unknown plane engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithoms

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've recently come into possetion of an unknown nitro? plane engine.
I know it used to run as i remember starting it in its current state when i was much younger (attached to a plank of wood...).

It has no glow plug that i know of. So, what makes the spark and what does it run on?

Also, engine is not controlled nor does it have a throttle. Its for one of those RC planes you would start, launch into the sky and then fly like a kite with strings. :D

There should be a glow plug on top. I had one of those Cox .049 control line planes when I was 10-11 yrs old. Here is how to start one.

Last edited by a moderator:
No glow plug on top, just a thing you can twist.

pic and we might be able to help further.

No question about it, it's a Cox .049. I had a couple of them kicking around till I tossed them the last time I moved. On the silver part on top of the head, you'll see a notch. There is one on both sides, and it's to grab with a special tool to unthread the glow plug. Ignition is with a special clip and a big 1 1/2 V dry cell. You'd start it and adjust the needle for optimum running. The fuel tank is on the back.

Pictures coming...

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

DSCF2033.jpg

Last edited:
That one is NOT a Cox .049.
I see what looks to be the word "BEE" on one side. It could be an early Golden Bee engine. This one requires a separate fuel tank, but like the Cox .049, no muffler.
On the block under the exhaust port it says ED.

That makes it an ED BEE diesel engine. The one shown there is probably a 1.00 cc from the early to mid 1950s. They were British engines.
I have no idea how to start them, but the adjustment on top would appear to increase or decrease the compression.

EG1015A.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is AWSOME!

Well, i think to start it, i just prime it with diesel and then spin the prob and the compression should start it itself (like a diesel...)

The adjustment on the top is for the compression. Got to get it just right to start it. Then you will have to tinker with it after it warms up.

Been around a couple, but don't know much. Guy used to bring one to the field. (R/C though, not a control-line) Was on an old high wing trainer. Would fly forever. 3 or 4 of the guys would take turns flying it, just kicked back in their chairs, passing the transmitter around.

It would also take 3 or 4 of them trying to start it. And the smell. Just had to be within 30 ft. of it and you would be smelling it for days.

DIGGER!! Where have YOU been?
I was about to send out a pack of 30 hound dogs to look for you, but they wouldn't come out from under your porch.:D

i had a simmilar plan when i was a kid, well i still am, but that is correct rotate the propeller counter clock let go and keep your fingers it hurts like hell! i cut the string on mine and let it go, where i dont know lol

Back