Ugh guess it's time to pull the tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nealy587

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok so I added a couple more things to my bash area and took a jump not a big one or anything it came up and when it landed its like the brakes are on. I go to give it gas it started but then acts like ur holding the brakes or somthin. It's got an issue in the tranny I know for sure but any good place to look? It does have reverse and that messed up yesterday.

Well looks like I need a couple parts. This thing broke off off the tranny casing and then I guess it's my reverse gear? That's stripped I have no idea lol but here it is
null_zpsc9bbf919.jpg

null_zpse1847646.jpg

null_zpsb6ecbb2d.jpg

---------- Post added at 6:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:40 PM ----------

I just hope I can get this thing back together.

Do yourself a favor and go with an foc kit

transmited from a mobile communications device

what are the benefits,, i dont know about them. and where can i get it?

Less rotating mass,less weight,more durability,lhs should have the kit or eBay has em for like 12$

transmited from a mobile communications device

ok ill look them up.. after i can figure out which tranny i have. that has never been specified lol. the casing is a grey color. it has a 3.3 slipper clutch. maybe it had the reverse kit put in it. any input?

Looks like a 4909 tranny
Look up a foc for a 4909 and you should be sweet

If it has a blue brake hex & short chassis then you have a 4909 & need #5195 FOC kit.
4909 has this type brake disc
TRX5164-1.jpg

If it is the extended chassis & pin type brake then you have a 4908/07 & need #5394XFOC kit.
4908/07 has this type brake disc
5364.jpg

4909 it is guys thanks!!!!! Guess ill order that today. And while I'm in there any more upgrades for the tranny.

Now's a good time to replace any iffy bearings in there while you have it apart.

I get all my bearings from AvidRC.com, most are $1 each & are good quality.

Yeah I was thinking I might as well replace the bearings since I'm in there. Are they ceramic bearings?

Avid does sell ceramic bearings @ $5.00 ea. but they are not needed in the tranny or the rest of the drive train unless you are trying to get every mph out of the rig doing high speed runs.

Just as an FYI, FOC means Forward Only Conversion. No more reverse.

Makes for a stronger transmission if you can live without reverse though, along with the benifits of less rotating mass and servo draining on your receiver pack since it removes all reversing components inside and outside the trans.

Would be a good idea to double check all your gear teeth on all gears in the trans. A lot of times when one gear goes out, the shards get jammed in the teeth of others and mess them up as well.

Nah don't need reverse. And top speed really isn't an issue. I want more torque than anything. What about any taller gears?

Well I weant to a bigger spur gear I think a 58 to be exact. I think I could fit a 62.

Now's a good time to replace any iffy bearings in there while you have it apart.

I get all my bearings from AvidRC.com, most are $1 each & are good quality.

Avid does sell ceramic bearings @ $5.00 ea. but they are not needed in the tranny or the rest of the drive train unless you are trying to get every mph out of the rig doing high speed runs.

I was wondering if anyone knows the diff between the yellow rubber sealed bearings and the black rubber sealed bearings

Their yellows are typically metal shielded on one side and rubber sealed on the other. Minimizes friction caused by the seals so you can have the rubber side exposed while the steel side is internal where dirt isn't anyway.

Other than that, I don't think there is a difference in the bearings themselves.

I usually buy from http://www.teamfasteddy.com/, decent quality bearings there too.

Ok so I found a black tranny I guess for the 3.3 max for 40 bucks. The guy said it actually is stronger than the one I have. Ok deal? Everything is good on it.