Twin Engine RS4: Build Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiero_silva

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is where I'll be documenting my buildup of a twin 12R SS RS4. The car started off life as a Nitro RS4 Type 3 SS.

*Sorry, the car and all the parts are EXTREMELY dirty.

I first sat the engine on the chassis and checked to see if the Left engine would have enough clearance between the exaust and rear driveshaft. It has lot's of room!
mini-EX_DS_Clearance.jpg

The second problem was the fact that there the tranny was covered on the left side. A few minutes with a dremel tool and the top tranny cover looks like this:
mini-Trannytopmod.jpg

I did not cut it exactly the same size as the right side because I want to see if I can retain the stock handle over the tranny.

Next up was the tranny case itself. It is now two pieces!
mini-Trannysidesmod.jpg

This is how I will most likely run my exaust. Two Traxxas headers upside down. I will be replacing the huge tuned pipe with a smaller one that should barely stick out past the back of the car.
mini-exaust_right.jpg

I just noticed that in this pic it looks like the left motor's exaust may interfere with the right motor. It may just be the camera angle though. I'll have to wait untill I get my other motor to see.
mini-exaustleft.jpg

Now, back to work!

Last edited:
Attaching Images - If you post an image into the forum please make sure it is no larger then 640x480 in size. Anything larger causes it to destroy the layout of the site and reading the thread very hard.

Please resize your images to fit within the size limit specified in the rules. Thanks.

- NCNitro

BTW, good luck with your project.

Had to grind down the Rear tranny mount a bit to clear the left motor's flywheel.
mini-backtrannytower2.jpg

mini-backtrannytower1.jpg

Realized I can't keep the factory roll bar/handle for 2 reasons:
1. I cut off it's mount from the tranny already
2. It's mount was right where the left motor's flywheel is

Test fitting the modded tranny
mini-trannytowers.jpg

mini-trannyassy.jpg

A bit more interferance between the tranny case and the flywheel. I'll fix it tomorow, it's a bit late to be using a dremel tool, don't want to wake anybody up.
mini-flywheel.jpg

Possible radio layout:
mini-radio.jpg

just makes me feel better about my cars being dirty LOL

but how do you set it up for both throttles to run at the same time with one servo?
or will you just add another one
keep up the good work and the best of luck to you keep us posted this is VERY interesting

I will only be using one throttle servo.

I actually just came up with a better radio setup than that one.

Looks great. I thought about trying this when I had a RS4 3 but never did. Looks interesting...

I'm at the point of mounting my radio gear.. It's becoming a pain in the A$$ trying to fit everything and still have room for a gas tank.. Anybody have any ideas?

Today's progress:
Fixed Flywheel clearance issue. Left motor now sits on the chassis perfectly. Just have to drill holes for it.

Took off the extra tab on the tranny. I thought it was for the handle, but I cut that one off a long time ago, so the tab that was left was useless.. So I cut it off.

Started working on radio layouts. The radio tray will be made of Lexan. This is my first time working with Lexan so it's a learning process as I go. Essentially I use a propane torch to bend it and a dremel to cut and shape it.

The first version was doomed from the begining, so I scrapped it.

Here is then second try:
mini-trayV2.jpg

Essentially the throttle servo on the left of the hole, the steering servo on the right.
mini-V2.jpg

Driveshaft clearance:
mini-V2DS.jpg

That version sucked, so I started another one:
V3
mini-V3.jpg

mini-roughtray.jpg

mini-roughtray2.jpg

Just an idea of V3s planned layout. I realized this time that I can go wider than the chassis. Before I was trying to keep everything ON the chassis. But I'll just add some aluminum bars around the reciever to protect it from impacts.
mini-V3layout.gif

Last edited:
fiero_silva said:
I just noticed that in this pic it looks like the left motor's exaust may interfere with the right motor. It may just be the camera angle though. I'll have to wait untill I get my other motor to see. Now, back to work!

Interesting project. Would probably be easier with two rear-exhaust engines with the tuned pipes running up each side of the chassis.

wow I'm fascinated with your work, keep it up man!!

Yea it looks awesome, keep it up. I don't think I've ever even seen a twin engine on-raod of any kind. Looks cool.

niggle said:
Interesting project. Would probably be easier with two rear-exhaust engines with the tuned pipes running up each side of the chassis.
I was thinking the same thing. It will save you space.

this might be a totally retarded question but do they make a 2 into one pipe? Granted itd be bigger,a nd itd be a weird looking header, but could save some space, and look pretty cool..

even if it was made, the exhaust pulses of the 2 engines would screw each other up and neither engine would run well.

I don't know if this project is going to get finished.. but I will tell you guys it's 100% do-able. This is somthing so easy that if you can rebuild your RC you could do this. The only special tools I have used so far are a drill and bits, a dremel tool with a few accys and a propane torch for bending the lexan.

Put the battery back in a hole cut in the front bumper. Use a dual outlet gas tank in the factory spot. Put the reciever over the front chassis brace and then the 2 servos on the opposite side of the gas tank.

I will most likely selling the Car and getting a nitro monster truck on staturday. I've got an offer for 350$ canadian as the car is now. 100% running order, but single engine car with a new piston and sleeve. What do you guys think, finish the project, or sell the car? I'd really like to go offroad, but lack the funds to own two toys :(

I think itd be way cool to have a dual engine on road, but if your having problems with funds right now, then maybe ya should take the offer. Thats a DAMN good price hes offering to ya, and youd kinda be a fool NOT to take it.. But it would be soo cool to see a dual engine Rs4, but its gonna cost you some money. Esp. for 2 new engines, 2 pipes, etc.. (Thats what ya wanted to do right? get two completely new engines?) But the choice is yours man!

wait I just saw canadian... how much is $350 canadian into Amercian money??

What do you think it would go for on ebay as a complete twin engined car minus one motor, one header and two tuned pipes?

I highly doubt you would get any more than 280$. If you are going to sell it I would take the 280$ for it. (350$ Canadian like you said)