Trx 3.3 flywheel nut stuck to flywheel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
When I try to take off my flywheel it just turns the engine over and not grab onto the actual nut that I’m trying to get off. I am using a 8mm deep socket HELP!!! I have tried everything I could think of by grabbing the fly wheel with differs kinds of pliers and it just won’t grip the flywheel nut it just turns the piston up and down

I have flywheel pliers with soft jaws for doing this but I also have used a vise and a piston stop that screws into the glow plug hole. An alternative is to rotate the piston below the exhaust port and insert some thing to stop the piston. I have had success with heavy duty zip ties. EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE USED if doing this as it is easy to damage the piston.

I have flywheel pliers with soft jaws for doing this but I also have used a vise and a piston stop that screws into the glow plug hole. An alternative is to rotate the piston below the exhaust port and insert some thing to stop the piston. I have had success with heavy duty zip ties. EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE USED if doing this as it is easy to damage the piston.

So I should use vice to grab fly wheel and heavy duty zip tie to get The flywheel nut off?

Id either make this tool or buy 1 if you can...

So I should use vice to grab fly wheel and heavy duty zip tie to get The flywheel nut off?
No, you don't understand, so don't try this. Also, the reason for using extreme caution is to make sure you don't damage the piston or the rod.

How are you grabbing the flywheel?

If you use channel locks, and a rag, you should be able to grip the teeth and get the nut off. If you cannot doing it with that method, then you're going to need to soak the nut and shaft end in something, but really that method should get it off. I've never been unable to get one off doing it that way.

How are you grabbing the flywheel?

If you use channel locks, and a rag, you should be able to grip the teeth and get the nut off. If you cannot doing it with that method, then you're going to need to soak the nut and shaft end in something, but really that method should get it off. I've never been unable to get one off doing it that way.

I have had that. Back before I understood that you should put shims behind the collet to space things out properly, I just held the flywheel where I wanted it, then did a quick jerk to get the nut to bite down the collet. Then the flywheel broke loose and my only option was to lock the piston. That was 20 years ago.

Since then, I put shims behind the flywheel for spacing, then tighten the nut down. I've never had a flywheel break loose since I started doing that and I was always able to just channel lock the flywheel.

Just stick a small screw driver down the carburetor, it will stop the flywheels from moving and won't put stress on the con rod. Also you can put your engine in a small oven and heat it up, but don't forget to remove all plastic part first.

Just stick a small screw driver down the carburetor, it will stop the flywheels from moving and won't put stress on the con rod. Also you can put your engine in a small oven and heat it up, but don't forget to remove all plastic part first.
I think I'd use something like a toothbrush handle. I wouldn't want to mar up the crank or crank case with a screwdriver jammed in there. You'd have to remove the carb, but would be less likely to damage stuff.

Anything sturdy enough will work, just
I think I'd use something like a toothbrush handle. I wouldn't want to mar up the crank or crank case with a screwdriver jammed in there. You'd have to remove the carb, but would be less likely to damage stuff.
?, Anything sturdy enough will do, just not your finger ?.