Traxxas VS Redcat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is funny how many electric people hate nitro, when I've found that many of them have never even tried nitro at all... just reciting all the things they have heard from others that couldn't get it figured out.
Yeah that's the biggest reason that nitro doesn't have as many options these days. I have searched for a good nitro MT that is a big block with upgrade options and it's just not out there. If you know of a current model please let me know. All I have found is the Redcat Earthquake 3.5.

The thing is many rc companies are leaving nitro due to the laws enacted against nitro from noise to contaminating the enviroment...I have run electric since the mid 70's..and now since the power of brushless and a lipo battery ill stay with electric.just wish A123 battery company dint take the millions of dollars and run a few years back.. and there voltage wasn't just 3.6volts a cell full charge..waiting on the new lipo that the guy cuts with scissors..hurry up..

The thing is many rc companies are leaving nitro due to the laws enacted against nitro from noise to contaminating the enviroment...I have run electric since the mid 70's..and now since the power of brushless and a lipo battery ill stay with electric.just wish A123 battery company dint take the millions of dollars and run a few years back.. and there voltage wasn't just 3.6volts a cell full charge..waiting on the new lipo that the guy cuts with scissors..hurry up..
I understand that global warming is an issue but I do believe that my little nitro car is the least of our issues. When I pull out my RC car, I want to spend the whole afternoon with it. I don't want to buy and charge an entire stack of lipo batteries in order to accomplish that. Also, the sound an performance from electric is just unsatisfying for me. To each his own I say. I just would like to see more options for those of us who still desire the thrill of a real engine.

I have both nitro and electric and I prefer both, "depending on my mood"...

I understand that global warming is an issue but I do believe that my little nitro car is the least of our issues. When I pull out my RC car, I want to spend the whole afternoon with it. I don't want to buy and charge an entire stack of lipo batteries in order to accomplish that. Also, the sound an performance from electric is just unsatisfying for me. To each his own I say. I just would like to see more options for those of us who still desire the thrill of a real engine.

I would almost guarantee that more pollutants are created by generating the electricity to charge a lipo battery than running a nitro around the yard for 10 minutes. Certainly less damage to the environment than the lithium mines that are needed to make the batteries.

The environmental issue regarding nitro vs electric is patently ridiculous.

Yeah that's the biggest reason that nitro doesn't have as many options these days. I have searched for a good nitro MT that is a big block with upgrade options and it's just not out there. If you know of a current model please let me know. All I have found is the Redcat Earthquake 3.5.

Kyosho Mad Crusher.

As for upgrades, I've literally upgraded to the point that only the linkages, engine mount plate, and body posts are stock.

As for companies "getting out of nitro", currently that seems to mostly be Traxxas, though they still have their nitro models, just no new ones. I still see plenty of nitro activity with new engines, chassis, and what not coming out, there seems to have actually been a bit of an uptick recently. I also see a lot of new nitro activity in the FB groups I belong to lately, many people starting to either try it out or get back into it.

Kyosho Mad Crusher.

As for upgrades, I've literally upgraded to the point that only the linkages, engine mount plate, and body posts are stock.

As for companies "getting out of nitro", currently that seems to mostly be Traxxas, though they still have their nitro models, just no new ones. I still see plenty of nitro activity with new engines, chassis, and what not coming out, there seems to have actually been a bit of an uptick recently. I also see a lot of new nitro activity in the FB groups I belong to lately, many people starting to either try it out or get back into it.
You like the Mad Crusher? I have looked at it but saw a few bad reviews on it. I've never owned a Kyosho product. Are the parts available in U.S.?

I would almost guarantee that more pollutants are created by generating the electricity to charge a lipo battery than running a nitro around the yard for 10 minutes. Certainly less damage to the environment than the lithium mines that are needed to make the batteries.

The environmental issue regarding nitro vs electric is patently ridiculous.
I feel the same way. Once we do away with coal and nuclear power, and switch to solar energy, then you can start talking about my nitro car. I will still probably argue with you though.

I'll keep that in mind. My 1.5 Traxxas has lasted for 2 years so far.
the .15 was probably the only good engine that traxxas released, the 2.5s and the 3.3s suffer so many piston rod failures, and carb issues.
if you get the chance with that .15, try getting your hand on a SH18 carb and install it on there.
really wakes them up.

You like the Mad Crusher? I have looked at it but saw a few bad reviews on it. I've never owned a Kyosho product. Are the parts available in U.S.?

I love it, the only bad reviews I ever saw were the electric version, the nitro version seems in pretty high regard by most.

You can gets parts in the U.S, but like many foreign companies, the supply chain is pretty bad right now because of COVID. There are however places like RC4WD and Hot Racing that make aftermarket upgrades for the suspension and axles. Right out of the box though the truck is a beast. It's got a 3 speed transmissions, big block engine, it wheelies at will, lots of top end too. It's a very fast truck. Mine is heavily modified, the links, axles, steering, drivetrain, all upgraded with aftermarket parts. I replaced the side plates with CF that I cut myself. I also converted the transmission to single speed with a REDS Tetra clutch and clutch bell(I have 3 for different course situations) - but that is for purpose built racing, not bashing. I upgraded to a SH .28 p8 engine, replaced the dog bones with CVDs, RC4WD aluminum axles(money VERY well spent), beadlock rims with JC Firestorms, aluminum radio box, servo arms, rear torsion swaybars and more. I haven't tallied up what I've spent but will at some point, lol. I really need to update my build thread because it's changed quite a bit since my last post (Father of Dragons thread). I'm still working the kinks out of it, but it's getting really close to what my vision was, just need to do some more experimentation with the pinion gears and clutch.

I have both nitro and electric. Ever sense they came out with dual brushless motors, I was hooked on the electric units. However, I really love the sound of a nitro motor. I just don't have the time to tinker on it as much as I would like to.

I went nitro once and it was a t-Maxx classic. My problem wasn’t the engine though I didn’t ever get to drive it enough for the motor to have problems. It was the transmission it failed before I even finished breaking in the motor. And after replacing it with a whole new transmission and adjusting the slipper clutch making sure it wasn’t to tight it killed the transmission again a week later when flipped it when driving on some dirt at high speed. So I just let it sit and decided to never get another nitro model from traxxas. I don’t hate nitro I just can’t drive one anymore. It’s so loud that there’s nowhere I could drive a nitro anymore. And that’s my biggest problem with nitro is the noise I think it’s cool but other people find it annoying and get angry(happened when I drove my t-Maxx) so if I want to drive a nitro I have to find somewhere away from people which is hard where I live. Where with my electric slash I can go out front and rip it up and down my neighborhood street and no one cares. So each has their benefits and draw backs. If I lived in the middle of nowhere I’d 100% go nitro(just not traxxas nitro). But since I live in the city I have to go with electric.