traxxas tmaxx 2.5 nitro help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaGTIguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i bought a traxxas tmaxx 2.5 nitro truck. I got the truck used and i am having problems with it. I can't keep the engine to stay on for too long. I have to give it gas so that it wont die but as i am driving it it will eventually die. after a few minutes of running the car smoke comes out from the top of the engine. I am using 30% nitro traxxas fuel and also i just replaced the spark plug.

I am new to this so i dont know much. Any help on the problems that i am experiencing would be appreciated.

head screws might be loose or need new shims. I sealed my cooling head aswell as the backplate and carb..

head screws might be loose or need new shims. I sealed my cooling head aswell as the backplate and carb..

Thanks for the reply. I checked the screws and they are pretty tight. Also, i checked the spark plug and it was a bit loose so i tightened it. Car stayed on a bit longer but then after a couple of minutes of running it the engine loss power and the engine eventually died and alot more smoke came out from the engine.

Anybody knows what the problem is? Can it be that i am using 33% nitro fuel?
Thanks

i have only used 20% and have good luck. you might need to retune aswell under the nitro area here there is a tuning chart that helps alot. and sealing it helps out aswell.

id use 20% nitro fuel and retune the engine, id guess its a tuning issue, i wouldnt tear your engine down untill you get a little more xp with rc vehicals if your smoking from the head its probley running way too lean id go back to stock needle settings on the carb and try from there if you are still having issues then post back and go from therre

I think you are seriously overheating it due to a lean condition.
Get a temp gun and we'll get it tuned correctly for you.

for sure if your smoking from the head id guess your well over 300 degrees, which is very bad, id go with rolex get a temp gun go back to stock carb settings which is on the www.traxxas.com website you should not be above 260 i keep mine about 250 on my 2.5