Traxxas talons on a Jato 3.3?

• Thread starter SMokyleopard420
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMokyleopard420

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I dug out some old Traxxas talon wheels after I bought a Jato 3.3 last week ! The talons are a half inch taller than the stock wheels, Will running these in the rear blow my diff? The talons are also wider. I'm wanting these tires so I can drive in the grass! If this is going to ruin my car I do not want to do it. Would anyone have any suggestions to what i could do to make it more of an "offroad" Jato?

Welcome to the site.

Those tires should be fine. Because of the high power the car has, if your aggressivly driving it is possible to throw a tranny gear or a driveshaft. If anything you may want to get a new clutchbell with a lower tooth count for more torque, due to tall tires if its sluggish on take off or too fast for your liking.

I used to run those on my Nitro Sport with a Pro.15!

Traxxas actually built an ultimate offroad Jato with Proline Moabs.

Thank you for the reply! The tires work great in the fresh cut grass! minor suspension change also helped. I put the stock tires back on for asphalt speed runs. I had also purchased a slightly smaller spur gear(also metal instead of plastic)53T. So only 1 tooth smaller than stock... the runs ended after about two tanks, i smashed into my mailbox at around 55-60. Not sure what happened but my car, even with TSM on 50%, just ran to the right, had no time to correct at that speed. Snapped my front left arm. Waiting on RPM arms to come in. I did notice that the gears were making much more noise with the new spur. After disassembly of the car, I noticed my clutch bell has flat spots on some teeth, maybe 7 of them... I'm not sure the pitches match up... the spur gear looks brand new still, can someone let me know what pitch I would need to look for on the spur? I'm seeing online that theres two different ones it could be? idk.. I'm also thinking about HIGH speed gearing. a bigger CB and possibly a different spur than 54t stock.(a tiny bit bigger maybe for the new top speed? so it still accels faster than hell?) Does anyone know of a bigger CB I can put directly onto my jato? sorry for all this but I am new and am getting into this alot !