Traxxas T-maxx 2.5 Carburetor problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingToDo

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I've had this t-maxx since about 04 of december, and i've had it stored up for a year, maybe 2, and i decided to take it out, fix it up, and get it running again. I've fixed most problems until I came to this one. I was driving it around and it shut off on me, so I went to check it out, and the carburetor was lose, and had actually disconnected FROM the engine, and was not connected to it, Also, It was running fine for about 10 minutes, then it shut off, I cranked it back up and hit the gas, and it immediately turned off, it keeps doing this and will not let me hit the gas whatsoever, Although, If I pick the truck up with my foot and arm, and hit the throttle, it'll do full speed, but as soon as i put it down and hit the gas it cuts off on me. I need to know how I can keep the carburetor absolutely stuck inside of the engine without the fear of it coming out when i hit the throttle, also, how can I fix the problem of it not letting me hit the throttle? Please help soon!:(

The throttle problem is probably a too lean issue from the carb being loose. The first question is the obvious, is the clamp bolt tight for the carb? Or is the carb neck cracked or broken?

The carb isn't cracked or broken, And the clamp bolt is...? I'm a little new with this thing, and what you said about the throttle is a result from the carb?

If you could show me a picture or something of the clamp bolt so that i can tighten it, or just tell me what i need to do to keep it fastened to the engine and not moving around so easily?

On the engine where the carb mounts, there should be a bolt/screw that goes across the back side of the bore. After you install the carb tighten this screw to clamp it in place. It's also a good idea to use a carefully applied small amount of rtv sealant around the base of the carb before installing.
This could cause your throttle problem by allowing air to leak around the loose fitting carb making the fuel mixture too lean. Needle settings on the carb may be a factor too, but getting the carb tight and sealed is the first thing that needs to happen.

the clamp right behind the exhaust, the long black one? i'm pretty sure thats it but not positive. Your saying i need to tighten that bolt? does that mean that i'm going to have to remove the exhaust just to get to it so that i can tighten it? and i can get the sealent, thats no problem.

can someone answer me here?

Behind the neck of the carb....where it attaches in to the engine case there is a nut just behind where the linkage hooks up. Make sure that is tight. Should be rather small. Give it a try.