Traxxas Stampede 2wd alternatives

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought 2 Stampede 2wd brushed trucks 10 years ago. Eventually we swapped those brushed motors out for Castle Creations sidewinder esc with 4600 brushless motors in both. The stampedes are still going, many bodies later. The trucks are light so they stand up fairly well, the transmission handles the power well. We have upgraded suspension with rpm arms and knuckles. The stock shocks are also weak-upgraded with Traxxas aluminum shocks. The drive axles are also weak. Overall, they have been fairly durable but that is only with upgrades. We run these on 2s and 3s, still fun trucks but probably not the cheapest option.

I loved my Stampede 2wd but the brushed motor became a hassle cleaning it and lubricating it. I might actually take the Valenion from my 4x4 and drop it in the 2wd to see how it handles.

The granite blx is part of the new line from arrma along with the big rock, senton,big rock,and typhon. I’d stay away from the stampede 2wd or any 2wd vehicles I have a 4x4 stampede and is a money pit right out of the box. If money is an issue I’d wait until you can afford one
You are definitely a ROOKIE. The 2wd Traxxas Stampede is one of the best selling monster trucks to date, always has been. Neither Stampedes are money pits unless you have no idea what you are doing. I have both and and have only broken a few parts in about 8 years. Parts are extremely cheap and are located everywhere.
View attachment 115053View attachment 115054View attachment 115055View attachment 115056
I have the Bigfoot Stampede 2wd and run it pretty hard. Only problems I have had is stock shocks leaking so they were upgraded to the Traxxas big bore shocks and the lower mount screws for the shocks pulling out of the arms so those were upgraded to aluminum. This truck is a lot of fun to run and is a wheelie king.
I'm in the process of building one of these right now. I have lots of spare parts from upgrading my original Stampede. So I bought a Bigfoot body and will build the chassis.

Last edited:
You are definitely a ROOKIE. The 2wd Traxxas Stampede is one of the best selling monster trucks to date, always has been. Neither Stampedes are money pits unless you have no idea what you are doing. I have both and and have only broken a few parts in about 8 years. Parts are extremely cheap and are located everywhere.
you're replying to a guy who made a handful of posts about 4 years ago and hasnt been back since so I'm not sure Id be calling people names. The Stampedes, like virtually all kits, needs some hop ups right out of the box and you'll probably find more as you go but I agree that I probably wouldnt call them money pits. At least not anymore than any other Hobby Grade RC.

Not sure if calling someone a rookie qualifies as name calling 🤪, but I will add to this in case this thread gets more views.

I have been mostly a 2wd guy with most of my RC stuff before the last couple years. 2wd is harder to drive, which is why I assume a lot of people like 4wd better. But to me they are just as much fun to drive as 4wd rc's. It takes some getting used to, and time learning to feather the steering to drive them properly, but once you start to figure it out they are a blast.

Breydon's Traxxas Grave digger, even on the stock brushed motor is a helluva lot of fun to drive. I was really surprised how fun it was to drive it.

Not sure if calling someone a rookie qualifies as name calling 🤪
When the word rookie is all in caps I take that to have a negative connotation to it. Its as if you're calling that person stupid. I think the main point I was trying to make was that he comes in and calls the guy a "ROOKIE" for having an opinion on the Stampede. Even if he was a rookie and even if he wasn't entitled to his own opinions on the kit there are more tactful ways to point that out to someone. Granted in this particular case that someone will probably never see this post in the first place but the point still stands. Just my :2cents:

When the word rookie is all in caps I take that to have a negative connotation to it. Its as if you're calling that person stupid. I think the main point I was trying to make was that he comes in and calls the guy a "ROOKIE" for having an opinion on the Stampede. Even if he was a rookie and even if he wasn't entitled to his own opinions on the kit there are more tactful ways to point that out to someone. Granted in this particular case that someone will probably never see this post in the first place but the point still stands. Just my :2cents:
Well I tend to agree that anyone that says to stay away from 2wd vehicles probably is a rookie 😜

Well I tend to agree that anyone that says to stay away from 2wd vehicles probably is a rookie 😜
I agree 100 percent. I am a big fan of simple 2wd cars, easy to work on and maintain. And since they are more challenging to drive, you become a better driver faster than driving 4wd.

Having said that, out of bandit, rustler slash and stampede, stampede handles the worst, biggest issue is massive understear, especially under throttle. But on the other hand they like to pull wheelies, and they are fun to drive. Actually out of all nitro cars, I think that I enjoy the most driving nitro stampede.

When it comes to weakness, only parts that I have broken on 2wd platform are caster blocks and front and rear hub carriers, but they are around 3$ for a pair. And on xl5 version wheel bushings. I drove my first stampede so much that developed ridiculous play in rear axles because bushings and axles were worn out

I have a cheap Amazon brushless system on mine and I run it on 2s. One of the funnest rigs I have.

I have a cheap Amazon brushless system on mine and I run it on 2s. One of the funnest rigs I have.
Hey @Tunedpipe - mind sharing what system you have in there?

I love my Stampedes, but I don't really feel like hemorrhaging money into them. I'd be interested, however, in dropping in a cheap and cheerful brushless system; as much as again if I can keep using my NiMH stick packs (although I doubt they'll work).

Did you have to upgrade the transmission, too? The Traxxas upgraded transmission is almost as much money as the truck itself, and I just... can't... bring... myself... to do it!

Did you have to upgrade the transmission, too? The Traxxas upgraded transmission is almost as much money as the truck itself, and I just... can't... bring... myself... to do it!
The 272R magnum? I got mine for my slash / rusty (same car) off of Jenny's RC for 90ish bucks. It needs assembly tho. But can't beat it for 90 bucks, instead of 140 directly assembled from traxxas.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ba...ides-magnum-stampede-2wd-rustler-traxxas-2407

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ba...8p-slipper-clutch-3792-5556-4676-traxxas-2407

@DavidB1126 - I keep hearing about Jenny's RC - apparently I need to look into them!

It looks like I'd need:
Anything else? I might sidebar this idea and do it as a winter project... maybe see about waterproofing everything and turn in into a snow shredder.
Yea Jennys is my go to for stock OEM parts (mostly for basher RTR stuff) for cheap.

Yea the tranny case is one set. The motor plate, gear cover, slipper clutch is in another set which I linked (2nd link)

Oh, wow. I must be really tired; I didn't even register that you'd posted links. Thank you so much man, appreciate it!

The 2nd set doesn't include screws to mount the plate to the case so you do need some hardware, but me, I have a whole can of various screws so I'm all good.
Idk what Jenny's does. My guess is that they get new RTR cars, disassemble them, and sell the parts for cheap? no clue. They are in New Jersey I think, so shipping was pretty quick (To Maryland)

Hey @Tunedpipe - mind sharing what system you have in there?

I love my Stampedes, but I don't really feel like hemorrhaging money into them. I'd be interested, however, in dropping in a cheap and cheerful brushless system; as much as again if I can keep using my NiMH stick packs (although I doubt they'll work).

In my 4x4 I have a Hobbywing Max 10 system, can't remember the kv but in the 2wd I have just a cheap brushless system from amazon.
It actually runs pretty awesome.

Back