Traxxas Stampede 2wd alternatives

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tow_glinka

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,

So, I'm thinking about buying a 2wd Monster Truck.
Originally I would have gotten a Granite BLX, but it sadly isn't in production anymore (I don't want to buy one used, as I don't want to end up with a broken truck for which I can't get spare parts. For the same reason I'm thinking about selling my Fury BLX as a roller).

I could get a new Stampede 2wd from my lhs. He would sell it to me for a discounted price without the electronics so I can put the ones from my Fury BLX inside.
Now I know Traxxas isn't the best brand. So, is there any alternative 2wd Monster Truck which will be able to run on a Brushless System on 3S?

If there is no alternative, is the Traxxas really unusably bad, or will it just need some Tuning. Or is it better to just build the Stampede completely out of Tuning parts.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany

P.S.: Yes, I know, this is not a Traxxas Forum. But I want to get a honest opinion, not a fanboy one.

Hi guys,

Originally I would have gotten a Granite BLX, but it sadly isn't in production anymore (I don't want to buy one used, as I don't want to end up with a broken truck for which I can't get spare parts. For the same reason I'm thinking about selling my Fury BLX as a roller).

I could get a new Stampede 2wd from my lhs. He would sell it to me for a discounted price without the electronics so I can put the ones from my Fury BLX inside.
Now I know Traxxas isn't the best brand. So, is there any alternative 2wd Monster Truck which will be able to run on a Brushless System on 3S?

If there is no alternative, is the Traxxas really unusably bad, or will it just need some Tuning. Or is it better to just build the Stampede completely out of Tuning parts.

P.S.: Yes, I know, this is not a Traxxas Forum. But I want to get a honest opinion, not a fanboy one.
The granite blx is part of the new line from arrma along with the big rock, senton,big rock,and typhon. I’d stay away from the stampede 2wd or any 2wd vehicles I have a 4x4 stampede and is a money pit right out of the box. If money is an issue I’d wait until you can afford one

@WTF MIKE I meant the old 2wd Granite BLX. I own a Big Rock Crew Cab at the moment (which I'm gonna keep, it is a great truck). I specifically want a 2wd Truck. I had 2wd vehicles before, and to me, they are a ton of fun, so I want to have at least one 2wd vehicle to change things up while bashing when I'm in the mood.

IMG_0700.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0702.jpgIMG_0703.jpg
I have the Bigfoot Stampede 2wd and run it pretty hard. Only problems I have had is stock shocks leaking so they were upgraded to the Traxxas big bore shocks and the lower mount screws for the shocks pulling out of the arms so those were upgraded to aluminum. This truck is a lot of fun to run and is a wheelie king.

@Timmy!
Yes, the Wheelies and the general Handling of a 2wd Monster are the Reasons I want to try one (I never had a 2wd Monster, but I had other 2wd cars). :D
Also, the blue Body Looks really nice.
But on your pictures, you still have the brushed can inside. Have you run it Brushless (I want to run it Brushless on 3S)?

@tow_glinka well you are on an Arrma forum so you can expect at least a little bias here. ;)

I have a Traxxas 2WD and a Traxxas 4WD Stampede and both are great trucks. They've been around forever (most certainly the 2WD) and parts are usually VERY easy to find.

Another brand to consider is ECX. The ECX Ruckus is sold in both a 2WD and 4WD model, but is only sold in local hobby shops. You can check over at https://www.ecxforum.com for more info on them!

@WoodiE
Well, I expect that. I myself am biased because I heard enough bad about Traxxas, but I never had one (one of the reasons I want to give it a shot, to find out myself how good or bad they are).

Have you the ECX yourself? Because I heard about Problems with the Transmission on 3S.

But thanks, maybe I should really give the 2wd Stampede a go...just to form an own opinion

Get a 2wd ruckus put metal gears in and traxxas steel splined driveshafts on it (you will have to file down the output shafts on the diff a tiny bit to get the drive pins to fit in) with some traxxas aluminum hexes for the slash. Then some turnbuckles from traxxas.

•traxxas steel splined shafts rear for slash 4x4
(Could go cheaper route with hot racing drive shafts but I haven’t used hot racing parts often and any I’ve had on on this truck were destroyed quickly, they use cheap aluminum for some parts and it basically disintegrates)
•traxxas turnbuckles (camber, toe links)
•ecx metal gear set
•traxxas aluminum hexes

Everything else I would leave stock for a good basher car.

My car has loads of other mods like lcg and stuff, really the only two truly stock parts are the shock towers and maybe a screw or two but I was building a costom racer and it does quite well.

Stay away from 3s just gear up a 3800kv castle motor on 2s it’ll go fast enough making the same amount of motor melting heat that 3s makes

Hi guys,

Why don't you just get a rustler vxl put bigger tires and a wheelie bar. It will go much faster and look cooler than a stampede.
20180913_225820.jpg

Could always get the granite blx and remove the front diff/axle sliders. Then you have a 2wd. Probably need to keep the pinion so the center shaft doesn't move around too much.

Back in the day, I did that with one of my t-maxxes as I was going through diffs like water. So, instead of blowing both diffs all the time, I removed the front diff/slider parts and just kept the stub, then did my best on beefing up the rear diff. It was fun to drive. I never had great luck with the traxxas engines, so removing the diff/drag made it a lot more peppy and I could actually get wheelies out of the thing.

@Kylerc
Thanks for the Input.
2 Problems with gearing up the Castle:
1. I want to use the Arrma BLX80 & 3600kv Motor, that I still have.
2. I want to use 3S. I only have 3S Lipos at the moment, and do not plan to change that (only if I start racing again...but I wouldn't use the Racing Lipos for Bashing)

@LoveRc
Well, I thougt about that (but not with the VXL, just the Brushed and use my own electrics). Would also be an Option.

@olds97_lss
Well you are right, I could do that (in fact, I probably just could remove the center shaft).
But I want to buy a second truck, and the Granite is to similar to my BRCC to justify the purchase to myself. ^^

I am waiting for the brushed motor to start to wear down then upgrade to brushless. Nice thing is a lot of options for upgrade parts for the Traxxas. I feel with Arrma's popularity on the rise a lot more aftermarket parts will start to surface. My neighbor made a small oval track for his pit bikes and we race our trucks on it. My truck carried the front tires down the road (500-600ft?) all the way there. That's with the stock brushed so it should be interesting when I do upgrade it.

I do like ECX (I have a Torment, SCT version of the Ruckus). You will need the upgraded metal gear set, and the hot racing axles to run 3s. But other than that, the truck is pretty solid. I also upgraded the front caster block and axle carrier to aluminum, as the shoulder screws tend to strip out. The ECX servo saver is total crap, so upgrade to a metal gear servo, then superglue the 3 SS parts together. Last, get some aluminum hexes and good serrated wheel nuts.

So some upgrades needed, But other than that, the truck is pretty solid. Does that make it better or worse than the traxxas? Not sure...

Okay, thanks. To be honest, the Ruckus is a bit too Long for my liking (Yes, I know, I have a BRCC. But thats the Point. I already have a Long Monster :D ). But I could alternatively get a 2wd Short Course Truck...for that, the Torment sounds pretty neet. :)

Torment has the same wheelbase / chassis as the Ruckus. Same as BBCR and Senton 3s

Yeah, I know. But I don't want a second long Monster Truck, if I buy a second 1:10 Monster I want a shorter one. With a Short Course Truck, it's okay that is is as long as it is. :D

I have a 2wd Stampede and it has copped a flogging. I'm not saying that it is a super tough truck, but to be honest in 2 years all I have busted is a front shock and spur gear. With what it has been through, it should have broken a way more than that. The only after market thing I have bought for it was a wheelie bar, everything else is stock. For me it is still a fun little truck

I have a 2wd Stampede and it has copped a flogging. I'm not saying that it is a super tough truck, but to be honest in 2 years all I have busted is a front shock and spur gear. With what it has been through, it should have broken a way more than that. The only after market thing I have bought for it was a wheelie bar, everything else is stock. For me it is still a fun little truck
2s or 3s?

2s mine isn’t 3s compatible

That’s why it’s lasted longer without breaks. My pede broke all the time on 3s until I upgraded everything. Now I installed the blx185 system in it can’t wait to test it

Back