Traxxas maxx 3.3 sucks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently purchased a new 3.3 maxx 4x4 and had trouble getting to run took to local hobby store and paid to have tuned run thru 3 tanks and truck quit now will not start good glow plug it looks like I purchased junk :angry:

Or it could be just beginner/newbie pains...

How did you test the plug to know its good? What is it doing exactlly?

is this your first nitro? if it is we have all been there ,as snookman suggested change the glow plug it is always handy to a few spares during break in.
after that ,call traxxas they have excellent customer service and I'm sure they will help you

I remember when I first started in nitro I felt like tossing the truck in the trash and forgetting about it LOL. Once you get the hang of it things get easier.

As you go through tanks during the break in it needs to be tuned and tweaked for performance. It also needs the HSN adjusted for ambient temp and humidity regularly in order for it to perform correctly.
These are great little engines, but they need some knowledge. Hang in there.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

I recently purchased a new 3.3 maxx 4x4 and had trouble getting to run took to local hobby store and paid to have tuned run thru 3 tanks and truck quit now will not start good glow plug it looks like I purchased junk :angry:

This is why I no longer sell my RTR trucks on ebay. :n00bie:
"I can't get it started, I can't get it to idle, etc. etc. you sold me junk, I want a refund"

^ ^you are a tool
The guy is having trouble tuning his engine. You don't have to unload your previous eBay baggage on him.

Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3 engines are a little hard to tune but like Rolex said a little practice some good fuel the right plug and conditions and those little things can scream

^ ^you are a tool

Well, tools are useful. So I'm sure he'll love that compliment.

As for the OP, these trucks take some thinking and knowledge to get them working right. Plenty of help here.

Nothing personal meant against the OP. We were all newbies at one time. I had my share of struggles and failures, I learned from it.

My recommendation to all newbies ( especially nitro newbies) is do some research, follow the directions closely, ask questions of fellow RC enthusiasts before giving up and blurting out the world the product you purchased is junk when its your own ignorance to blame.

I'm not saying there's never any flaws from the factory ever, it does happen from time to time with every product and manufacturer. But make sure your solid on your end first. Know what you're talking about. Then toss your rig into the creek if need be. :mustache:

tool8.jpg

Last edited:
any engine is hard to tune if you have no experience.....

Found 1 problem

I found one problem the ground wire for the electric start was loose screw almost out tighten and was able to get running. I have had rc air planes and been able to install a ls1 in a 1936 Chevy so I'm not stupid like implied

I found one problem the ground wire for the electric start was loose screw almost out tighten and was able to get running. I have had rc air planes and been able to install a ls1 in a 1936 Chevy so I'm not stupid like implied

No one called you stupid, we're just trying to help you out.

^^exactly you know people come on here with the usual problems and at some point state that they are quite skilled at a particular skill ,e.g they can rebuild and build 1:1 engines so naturally should be able to get a nitro running with their eyes closed.
this hobby requires a certain skill set and patients in order to enjoy what you have invested in.
I have built this very computer I am typing on ,does that mean I can work for NASA.........

Holy run on sentence, Batman.

I also can rebuild/install some 1:1 engines, by this alone I'm able to make sence of an exploded r/c engine diagram, but that doesn't automatically mean I know how to make it run smoothly. For that I use the nitro tuning guide at the top of the Nitro talk forum, its in the stickies section at the top of the page. I'dv'e included the link but your clever you'll find it, and I don't know how to do that from a gaming console.

nitro engines are in a sense, more feminine? touchy, more than a gas engine. they take a lot of finess, a 1:1 car is easy to tune and install, to a certain extent. nitro engines have less componants, but that doesn't mean they are simple: temperatures, humidity, and other things. treat it like a woman, it will always still confuse you.

Nitro engines are very simple to tune. Some people shouldn't have tools, these are what the electric RC's are for. To the OP, when you get the hang of it you will enjoy working on these.

Nitro engines are very simple to tune. Some people shouldn't have tools, these are what the electric RC's are for. To the OP, when you get the hang of it you will enjoy working on these.

so you're saying some people shouldnt have tools cause they can't tune a nitro engine? what about when you first began and didnt know a thing about it? people will learn, and continue to learn. Nitro's arent just for experts, or just for beginners. they are for everyone, electric isnt for people who dont know nitro. they are both for anyone interested in the hobby. some people give up because they dont want to learn, some learn and pass on the great information needed to a newbie. once again, dont be so biased on your own opinion, people should learn, and need to learn. its statements like the one you made that keeps this hobby from growing!:D

so you're saying some people shouldnt have tools cause they can't tune a nitro engine? what about when you first began and didnt know a thing about it? people will learn, and continue to learn. Nitro's arent just for experts, or just for beginners. they are for everyone, electric isnt for people who dont know nitro. they are both for anyone interested in the hobby. some people give up because they dont want to learn, some learn and pass on the great information needed to a newbie. once again, dont be so biased on your own opinion, people should learn, and need to learn. its statements like the one you made that keeps this hobby from growing!:D

That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying if you don't know what you are doing, don't put a wrench or screw driver to it till you do. I just recently bought a Losi LST from my neighbor, he is totally anal about polishing and cleaning every little spec of dirt on his RC's, he claims to have 25 years experience but bought this Losi used and tore it apart and polished it to like new. After his cleaning frenzy he could not get it running and told me what a POS it was. Well I bought the POS from this expert for $200 and had it running in less than a hour. He took the motor apart and when he reassembled it, he had the piston turned the wrong way. :hehe: He was pissed when I told him how dumb he really is and that he should stick with electric.

Never meant to imply you were stupid, a little impatient? maybe.
But if you can shoehorn a LS1 in a '36 Chevy, you have mad respect from me.
In comparison, learning to tune nitros should be a breeze. It's all about perseverance buddy.

I'd love to see pics of that Chevy BTW :thumbup:

Last edited: