Traxxas Kyle Busch Second-Hand Value

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys, Isaac here. I found this listing for a used Traxxas Kyle Busch (brushed version), the seller says it has been well cared for; it's clean (I approve...if you want to sell and RC, clean and service it first, you'll get more buyers!), never run in the rain, or off road, and that stuff. It comes with the OG box (actually in pretty fair condition), the transmitter (apparently few people have the stock controller, most loose it?!). The seller doesn't say if it includes the battery (-ies) and/or a charger, but most people buying this car don't care about that. The seller does mention that the stock steering servo has "issues", they say it can be replaced for ~$20.

The tires on the car show some wear/use, you can see some pavement stripes on it, but they still look useable. Crazy thing is, Traxxas still makes the tires!? Shhh, nobody go and buy their whole stock! Anyway, the car is used (no surprise), and body shell shows a little wear, (a few scratches, but it's in pretty fair condition). They say nothing on the shell or car is cracked or broken.

These Kyle Busch cars are very rare apparently, and on Ebay these are going for $500 easy, and that's without the transmitter or battery/charger, and often without the box. The VXL versions with the transmitter, battery, and charger are going for $1k+ 😱😱!

So to cut to the chase, after reading the above conditions, do you guys think I could buy the listing, and sell the thing for $400, would that be too low, too high, ect.? I'm looking to buy it and make a small profit (all profits will probably fund my RC stuff 🤣🤣 RC ain't cheap...and so many things out there!). I won't say explicitly the price the listing is selling for, but I will it's a little bit below those above Ebay listings.

I'm pretty clueless about this situation, can you guys gimme some advice? Would this be a wise move/"investment"? I'm tempted to buy it and get a new servo and batteries, then keep it for myself but I don't think I can afford to do that 🤣🤣 If I do buy it, I'm open to offers from my fellow RCT members, but I'm no selling it for $150 or something!

-Isaac (AKA TRD)

Edit: Oh, and if I should buy and sell it for a small profit, should I change out the servo for a new one, and/or new tires?

Last edited:
the wheels tires were not available for a while, and couldn't be found in stock online for many months, i tried, and saw sets on ebay for insane prices.

So when a friend saw some at a shop he went to, and let me know, i bought all they had.

Then of course like 2 months later traxxas had stock again, and saw on ebay again, dirt cheap.

I have a set of them never ran, just out of packages,

And it's what someone will pay, and finding that person looking for one, I wouldn't pay anywhere near 400 especially if not new in box...

you said "They are going for on ebay" , that is what the asking price is, you need to find sold listings to see what the actual prices they sold for are.

Never been big on buying something I don't intend to use. But that's just me.
I totally agree here, if I did buy it, and I kept it, I'd run it now and then, but I'd be careful with it, and I'd probably end up getting some other body shell that I can put a few scratches and nicks on. I was just wondering about the profit here, seemed like a somewhat easy way to make some $$ for all the RC stuff I want...this hobby is expensive and addictive! 🤣🤣 Both of my cars are active, neither of them are shelf queens! I do tend to drive my 144001 a little less, sadly, as I want to keep it clean (I'm kinda a clean freak lol!), but I got some cans of compressed air recently, so that'll help. I take it all your cars get a thrashing now and then?

the only thing your paying for is the original body, and used to be impossible to find wheels and tires,
Licensing and a name

is there a 1/16 traxxas still offers that is the same?

See where I'm going with this?

the wheels tires were not available for a while, and couldn't be found in stock online for many months, i tried, and saw sets on ebay for insane prices.

So when a friend saw some at a shop he went to, and let me know, i bought all they had.

Then of course like 2 months later traxxas had stock again, and saw on ebay again, dirt cheap.

I have a set of them never ran, just out of packages,

And it's what someone will pay, and finding that person looking for one, I wouldn't pay anywhere near 400 especially if not new in box...

you said "They are going for on ebay" , that is what the asking price is, you need to find sold listings to see what the actual prices they sold for are.
I see, that must've sucked! Did you just buy out their whole stock so you could sell them for a profit later, or did you plan to use some, and if so, on what rig? Really weird that Traxxas is still making tires for a long-time discontinued car, either they're really trying to help us out, which would be weird for such a big company, or maybe, and this is speculation, they're gonna make another 1/16 scale on-road car?

Ok, thanks for that info. Bear in mind, this car went for $190 for the brushed, RTR version, and that was like 7 years ago. So with inflation, and the rarity of the car, I think $400 could be doable for some collectors. How about $350?

Good point, I'll have to check.
the only thing your paying for is the original body, and used to be impossible to find wheels and tires,
Licensing and a name

is there a 1/16 traxxas still offers that is the same?

See where I'm going with this?
Well, you're right, I guess. The current 1/16 scale from Traxxas are all off-roaders, the Kyle Busch one is lowered, has those wheels and the rare body, and maybe some other things. It also has the older style Traxxas TQ radio, but those don't seem to be super rare, you can get them on Ebay for less than $30. How much could I get for the body+wheels, $100? More?

Edit: I checked, and we're looking at ~$200+, so I don't think those complete, RTR, VXL, NIB, (so many acronyms lol) Kyle Busch cars are gonna sell for over $1k. Something tells me they'll get knocked down to about $500.

Last edited:
I see, that must've sucked! Did you just buy out their whole stock so you could sell them for a profit later, or did you plan to use some, and if so, on what rig? Really weird that Traxxas is still making tires for a long-time discontinued car, either they're really trying to help us out, which would be weird for such a big company, or maybe, and this is speculation, they're gonna make another 1/16 scale on-road car?

Ok, thanks for that info. Bear in mind, this car went for $190 for the brushed, RTR version, and that was like 7 years ago. So with inflation, and the rarity of the car, I think $400 could be doable for some collectors. How about $350?

Well, you're right, I guess. The current 1/16 scale from Traxxas are all off-roaders, the Kyle Busch one is lowered, has those wheels and the rare body, and maybe some other things. It also has the older style Traxxas TQ radio, but those don't seem to be super rare, you can get them on Ebay for less than $30. How much could I get for the body+wheels, $100? More?
May i ask what the one your looking at is

PM d you,

If theres original box, and everything it originally came with,

$250 is a safe top number
Yes, it comes with the original box, the box is in fair condition IIRC.

That's a bit lower than what I was hoping, but ok! Any profit is better than no profit, but I'd barely be making any profit if I sold it for $250. With the original box and the car, radio, batteries, and charger, would that be worth $300?

Yes, it comes with the original box, the box is in fair condition IIRC.

That's a bit lower than what I was hoping, but ok! Any profit is better than no profit, but I'd barely be making any profit if I sold it for $250. With the original box and the car, radio, batteries, and charger, would that be worth $300?
List it for $350 and see what happens 😉

Kevin, I kinda need to like buy it first, before I can sell it...🤣🤣 And for me, buying it in the first place is a decent, uh, "investment"...and if no one buys it, I'm out roughly 2 Ben Franklins! That "test" would literally cost me!
Something tells me you bought it and fell off the deep end. That whole life and work gone for 8 months was really a rehab stint, huh? Being that your back it was more like a vacation. Am I right?🤣😁

Always wanted the truck version.
Kept putting it off as I didn't think they would go south so fast.

Something tells me you bought it and fell off the deep end. That whole life and work gone for 8 months was really a rehab stint, huh? Being that your back it was more like a vacation. Am I right?🤣😁

Always wanted the truck version.
Kept putting it off as I didn't think they would go south so fast.
😂 Nah I actually completely forgot about this thing! Yeah the idea was the buy and flip it, dunno if the listing is still up, probably isn't.

How many versions did they make?

😂 Nah I actually completely forgot about this thing! Yeah the idea was the buy and flip it, dunno if the listing is still up, probably isn't.

How many versions did they make?
I have seen Kyle Bush version and I think them made ken block. I have just regular rally but with classic unlicensed body. Very fun car to drive, it was my "daily driver" until I hit the curb full speed. Bulkhead cracked l. It's very cheap, couple dollars but mini irevo platform is a nightmare to work on, so it still sits broken :).

Honestly you can not any money especially on collectible rc. The only way to make some money is to buy locally and find some super cheap deals, sometimes in rough shape, fix them and sell for a small profit. Sometimes you can get used car with some spare parts, chargers batteries, tools, premium servos, electronics, hook ups, that you can sell separate for a little extra profit. Problem is, it's not easy to find a good deal, sometimes you have to check fb marketplace multiple times a day and wait weeks for something cheap, but you will not be the only one, good deals sell within hours of posting. And there is a lot of people who ask MSRP price for junk.

Obviously you can not make a lot of money by flipping cars, actually you can make way more if you work for minimum wage compared to the time that you need to drive and pick up a car, and fix it. But if you like rc, wrenching and flipping it can be fun.

I like to buy used rc, that's how I cope with my rc addiction without spending a lots of money, but I don't sell, just collect like a squirrel. But I do have a friend that is reselling, and I bought some cars and some parts from him. Every time I visit him I spend almost an hour checking different stuff that he bought.

The best possible deal that I found was vintage mrc thunder king and rc20t for 70$. And I can flip those cars for at least 150$, maybe even 200$ each, but again, deals like that are very rare

I have seen Kyle Bush version and I think them made ken block. I have just regular rally but with classic unlicensed body. Very fun car to drive, it was my "daily driver" until I hit the curb full speed. Bulkhead cracked l. It's very cheap, couple dollars but mini irevo platform is a nightmare to work on, so it still sits broken :).

Honestly you can not any money especially on collectible rc. The only way to make some money is to buy locally and find some super cheap deals, sometimes in rough shape, fix them and sell for a small profit. Sometimes you can get used car with some spare parts, chargers batteries, tools, premium servos, electronics, hook ups, that you can sell separate for a little extra profit. Problem is, it's not easy to find a good deal, sometimes you have to check fb marketplace multiple times a day and wait weeks for something cheap, but you will not be the only one, good deals sell within hours of posting. And there is a lot of people who ask MSRP price for junk.

Obviously you can not make a lot of money by flipping cars, actually you can make way more if you work for minimum wage compared to the time that you need to drive and pick up a car, and fix it. But if you like rc, wrenching and flipping it can be fun.

I like to buy used rc, that's how I cope with my rc addiction without spending a lots of money, but I don't sell, just collect like a squirrel. But I do have a friend that is reselling, and I bought some cars and some parts from him. Every time I visit him I spend almost an hour checking different stuff that he bought.

The best possible deal that I found was vintage mrc thunder king and rc20t for 70$. And I can flip those cars for at least 150$, maybe even 200$ each, but again, deals like that are very rare
I see, thanks man! Yeah, I'm not looking to flip RCs as a job or even a hustle. I don't have the bandwidth to be scouring the internet for these deals, it's just not worth it for me. The Kyle Bush truck was an one-off idea LOL. Didn't know they made a Ken Block one! May the legend rest in peace.

Eh I'd say try fixing up your rally! It can't be...*that* bad, maybe revisiting it will be easier?

Yeah, tying on to what you said, there are like 100 crappy listings for 1 good listing, or more. So many people do ask a lot of their beaten up crap, or they sell the most obscure things, the worst bundles, or they live somewhere far. Like I said, too much work!

I see, thanks man! Yeah, I'm not looking to flip RCs as a job or even a hustle. I don't have the bandwidth to be scouring the internet for these deals, it's just not worth it for me. The Kyle Bush truck was an one-off idea LOL. Didn't know they made a Ken Block one! May the legend rest in peace.

Eh I'd say try fixing up your rally! It can't be...*that* bad, maybe revisiting it will be easier?

Yeah, tying on to what you said, there are like 100 crappy listings for 1 good listing, or more. So many people do ask a lot of their beaten up crap, or they sell the most obscure things, the worst bundles, or they live somewhere far. Like I said, too much work!
I have one on the left. I will fix it eventually. I just have other projects

RALLY_ET_KEN.jpg

traxxas-1-16-rally-vxl-ken-block-p5.jpg

Back