Traxxas Bandit unmanageable oversteer on slow corner exit asphalt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxHoundRA64

RC Newbie
Reaction score
As the title suggest, I am having issues with my 95 or so Bandit having too much oversteer coming out of corners, it will just loop around under accel. I can of course do less accel, but I am racing another VXL bandit and it is much quicker out of the corners because of... something I dont know. My car is actually faster than his but he seems to have more grip, even understeering on turns. I have the magnum trans, and thick diff fluid in my diff and I think this may be the issue. I have played with ride height, lowering the rear by making it have softer springs/removing the spacers but basically the same result. I have gotten Anaconda bandit tires that barely helped as well :/ What yall think? I am also using the new bandit shocks so that shouldn't be an issue

roll bars ?

roll center adjustment ?
Hm I am not sure if the Traxxas bandit has roll bars or does it? :eek: Also how would I adjust the roll center?
If solely focusing on the rear end: softer rear tires, raise rear inner camber links one notch, thinner diff fluid, shock position.
I am def not focusing on the rear end I am open to all suggestions and thoughts :) Raise links as in increase camber right? And seems like I gotta put some thinner fluid in there quick haha :) I have motor oil, white lithium grease, 500k diff fluid which is what it has inside of the differential right now and some team Losi shock oil haha. What yall think I should put in there? I have already adjusted the shock position as much as possible with the provided mounting positions so it is the most vertical. I have been using this cool guide but I don't necessarily know how to do everything on a Bandit or anything ya know? This car giving me the most probs haha.

Chassis Tuning Effects.jpg

https://site.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf
id advise getting a few books reading an start a setup sheet
or use the I net get some use outa it
Thanks for the resource dude :p I find it weird that a buggy setup guide doesn't have a single line about differential tuning though hmm. Are there alot of bandit guys in here having the same issue I wonder? Because I know that a rear motor setup usually facilitates understeer instead of oversteer so I am not sure how common my issue is.

As the title suggest, I am having issues with my 95 or so Bandit having too much oversteer coming out of corners, it will just loop around under accel. I can of course do less accel, but I am racing another VXL bandit and it is much quicker out of the corners because of... something I dont know. My car is actually faster than his but he seems to have more grip, even understeering on turns. I have the magnum trans, and thick diff fluid in my diff and I think this may be the issue. I have played with ride height, lowering the rear by making it have softer springs/removing the spacers but basically the same result. I have gotten Anaconda bandit tires that barely helped as well :/ What yall think? I am also using the new bandit shocks so that shouldn't be an issue
Sounds like you need to put much thinner oil in the rear diff. I'm pretty sure the traxxas vehicles come with only grease in the diff? I may be wrong though.

The bandit has a planetary diff that isn't sealed, unless it's the new magnum 272r with bevel sealed diff. Basically it will leak out.

The vxl has adjustable camber links and yours has the plastic camber bar, correct?

I would do one of two things. First is to swap tires. After that put all suspension at the same screw holes and rule that out.

I noticed traxxas tires get slippery when exposed to the sun. I left my stampede tires out for around a week and they spin alot more.

If you put thicker diff fluid in, that's not helping with oversteer. Try thinning it down.

As Chewy hinted at, if you can adjust the camber, I'd try adding a little more in the rear and see if that helps.

Does the Magnum transmission housing have the same angle on the arms to create the toe in the rear?

Take a little pre-load out of the rear too if you can. A little more squat back there may help.

One thing at a time, test, tune, drive, repeat.

Sounds like you need to put much thinner oil in the rear diff. I'm pretty sure the traxxas vehicles come with only grease in the diff? I may be wrong though.
Today I went ahead and put white lithium grease instead of the 500k in there and ....
The bandit has a planetary diff that isn't sealed, unless it's the new magnum 272r with bevel sealed diff. Basically it will leak out.

The vxl has adjustable camber links and yours has the plastic camber bar, correct?

I would do one of two things. First is to swap tires. After that put all suspension at the same screw holes and rule that out.

I noticed traxxas tires get slippery when exposed to the sun. I left my stampede tires out for around a week and they spin alot more.
Since I am using the 272r with removeable bottom little diff door, it was not too bad of a job. Mine does have plastic everywhere , should I purchase the stock VXL ones? Or are there some better/affordable ones? And I have tried the stock pin tires as well as the anaconda tires at this point which tires would you suggest? I want to get into some real racing tires for asphalt ya know? I have made all the susp the same holes as that VXL, and it did help I was pumped! The susp is alot more soft and travels more now.
If you put thicker diff fluid in, that's not helping with oversteer. Try thinning it down.

As Chewy hinted at, if you can adjust the camber, I'd try adding a little more in the rear and see if that helps.

Does the Magnum transmission housing have the same angle on the arms to create the toe in the rear?

Take a little pre-load out of the rear too if you can. A little more squat back there may help.

One thing at a time, test, tune, drive, repeat.
As stated in this post I went ahead with white lithium grease since that is what I have laying around. I noticed it is still not free spinning at all like the stock VXL still though... but I went ahead and did a test run and the differential fluid change and taking out some rear preload by removing the spacers has helped! I can add a little throttle in the turns to stabilize now instead of just looping around but I think it can be better. I am considering having it so open that it almost "diffs out" ya know?

Today I went ahead and put white lithium grease instead of the 500k in there and ....

Since I am using the 272r with removeable bottom little diff door, it was not too bad of a job. Mine does have plastic everywhere , should I purchase the stock VXL ones? Or are there some better/affordable ones? And I have tried the stock pin tires as well as the anaconda tires at this point which tires would you suggest? I want to get into some real racing tires for asphalt ya know? I have made all the susp the same holes as that VXL, and it did help I was pumped! The susp is alot more soft and travels more now.

As stated in this post I went ahead with white lithium grease since that is what I have laying around. I noticed it is still not free spinning at all like the stock VXL still though... but I went ahead and did a test run and the differential fluid change and taking out some rear preload by removing the spacers has helped! I can add a little throttle in the turns to stabilize now instead of just looping around but I think it can be better. I am considering having it so open that it almost "diffs out" ya know?
Drive it a bit, and the diff should settle in. I wouldn't want it completely open. You will end up losing exit speed coming out of the corners, having one wheel spinning all your power away. There is always going to be throttle control coming into play in getting the optimal cornering speed. So you will want some diff action left there. The car isn't going to be as fast as it can be just holding the trigger down around the corners 😉

I prefer a light suspension, with a little squat with my buggies. And once you get them dialed in, they are a blast to drive. It's tricky though, because if you jump much, you have a kind of give and take setup. So tuning is important to get it just the way you want it.

Good luck.